is it normal?

Our cat plays “fetch”.

Is this normal? Having never owned an indoor cat, this concept is new to me. I mean, I always felt like our cat thought he was a dog–sleeping on his back and such. But now he plays fetch?

Last night I probably spent 20-30 minutes each at three different times throwing his mouse and he’d bring it back to me . . . running like a crazy cat–off me, the bean bag, the couch, the side of the coach . . . parkour style. And he’d come back the same way. It was the funniest thing. And obviously it wasn’t a fluke either since he did it at more than one time.

This cat is also cat-like in that he wants attention when he wants attention. So when everyone is gone in the morning, he’ll cuddle up with me in when I’m sitting in my office chair. It’s kind of his “thing” and he doesn’t do it at any other time or any other place. And of course it can’t be in my lap . . . he has to come up on my chest and be by my head and I have to lean back for him to be really comfortable. No one ever sees it because once he hears another noise, he’s off.

Same thing with fetch last night. I was home alone doing this with him. I felt like it was that whole “If a tree falls in a forest and no one’s there to see it, does it make any noise” scenario.

I’m glad Dan came home and the cat decided to play fetch again so he could see I wasn’t making it up. lol It was really funny.

All you cat lovers out there . . . is this normal?

===
Now on another note, Caroline and Susy and anyone else out there wondering the same thing about me creating more downloadable art. I’ve been pondering many a-things and unfortunately for y’all, we’ll just have to leave it at that for right now. Gonna have to leave ya hangin’. :)You guys are so sweet to be so supportive like that. I do miss creating images though.

2017-02-07T18:29:40+00:00 July 9th, 2010|Uncategorized|8 Comments

1. Scrapthat July 9, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Totally normal :) I've had several cats over the years that have played fetch…however not all cats do it, depends how lazy they are I guess LOL!

2. S July 9, 2010 at 4:54 pm

I have also known cats who played fetch. Have a fantastic weekend!

3. Jan July 9, 2010 at 5:48 pm

Keep creating!! I love your work. :)

4. Jennifer Cowan July 9, 2010 at 7:24 pm

Yep, we had a cat in college (Rocky) that loved to fetch… it was really annoying when you were trying to sleep, he would drop the ball on your face, you would throw it to get him away and he would fetch it and start the process all over again.

5. Katherine July 9, 2010 at 7:28 pm

Yes had 2 cats that lived indoors and 1 loved to play fetch – hysterical isn't it. Her favourite, balls of screwed up newspaper so she could pick it up easier with her teeth.

6. kat-in-texas July 14, 2010 at 11:57 pm

I've had cats all of my life and have never had one that liked to fetch!?! They liked to chase anything we threw, but didn't bring it back! Funny!!!

I hear Bengals are like dogs though and will play fetch and even jump in the bathtub to get wet! (Just a little on the pricey side)

You'll have to post a pic of him–I love to see other people's cats! :)

7. Kathy Martin July 25, 2010 at 12:30 am

I've had cats all my life and only one, a calico, played fetch. Her favorite toy to play with…a mouse with real fur! She'd bring that yucky wet thing up to my bed! I would love to have another fetch playing cat. The two I have now are way to lazy! ;)

8. Wings and A Prayer Crafts July 29, 2010 at 6:03 pm

Love that your lucky enough to have a fetcher. Have had many cats, only one fetched. Only with one toy we called "chicken man" that was just a yellow pom-pom with glued on felt eyes. Many hours of entertainment on both sides of the game. Enjoy!