question for the day

Does your bug-collecting biology project count if your cat catches part of your allotted bugs?

Our cat has caught–and brought into the house–a dragon fly (or two or three), a few grasshoppers, a praying mantis, as well as a moth or two.

Okay . . . so . . . sure, the dragonfly and grasshopper maaay be missing a wing or a leg. It’s pretty pathetic to see them frantically crawling in their bug-like way on the kitchen floor to get away from the ever-encroaching cat with his menacing ways. It does provide hours of entertainment for the cat since he never kills the bugs. What fun is a dead bug, after all?

But will the teacher still accept the excuse, “the cat ate my homework” if most of it is still there?

2010-09-21T14:06:00+00:00 September 21st, 2010|Uncategorized|8 Comments

1. kathy September 21, 2010 at 6:02 pm

kerri………having trouble with the downloads from yesterday….i should be able to just pull up the gsd for the silhouette and cut……correct????? what am i doing wrong….so want to make this project!

2. Kerri September 21, 2010 at 6:28 pm

Hey Kathy!
    Yep, all you need to do is go to File/Open or File/Thumbnail Browser and find the directory where you put your GSD files.

Then look for the file that's called tt_halloween_cut_GSD_0009 and open it. It pulls up fine for me, so I would think it should pull up fine for you. The ones that start with "tt" are the files that you use specifically for this project.

In this file you'll see that they are sectioned according to the color of cardstock that you need to cut them from. So just move the ones you don't need off to the side and cut. Repeat for each color.

After that, pull up these files below in your photo editing software, print them on photo paper or presentation paper (cardstock), and cut the straight-edge pieces with your trimmer and the other elements with scissors.
    tt_halloween_print1_PNG_0009
    tt_halloween_print2_PNG_0009
    tt_halloween_print3_PNG_0009

Hope that helps!

3. kathy September 21, 2010 at 6:38 pm

kerri……it seems like these need to be in my library to cut……since i seem like a TECH-tard, do you by chance know how to import these into the library…..thanks for all your help….you've been fabulous!!!!!!1

4. Kerri September 21, 2010 at 7:02 pm

Nope. The GSD files don't need to be in your My Library to use them. And besides, you can't put them in your My Library either because Silhouette creates proprietary GST files to work with their My Library. No other files work with the My Library but those.

So using File/Open or File/Thumbnail Browser is the method to use.

Not sure if you've watched Nichol Magouirk's video on using these GSD files, but if you haven't, go check it out here: http://nicholmagouirk.typepad.com/things_that_really_matter/2010/09/gsd-files-for-the-silhouette-kerri-bradfords-giveaway.html

She just rocks with her videos. :)

Hope that helps! :)

5. kathy September 21, 2010 at 7:25 pm

will try that and let you know….thanks again…….gotta get this tray done…it will ROCK!!!

6. jknapp00 September 21, 2010 at 7:41 pm

I remember that project from when my boys were in grade school! We had more people collecting bugs – even my mother's bug man added to the collection. And the cat might like it better live, but I much prefer them dead…

7. kathy September 21, 2010 at 8:14 pm

to no avail…..tried nichol's technique and still unsuccessful……called sil. america, however they are in overdrive from a glitch in the downloads….hopefully they can assist me soon……….frustrating!

8. gypsykate September 21, 2010 at 10:17 pm

cats love bugs, you should see some of the yuccky crawlies my cat use to drag in. In NZ we get a love bug called a Weta, google it…my cat had a thing about bringing them in and letting them lose…nothing worse than putting your foot into a shoe and finding one of these wee darlings in the bottom of it!!!
    and by the way….yes it counts…beats catching them yourself lol