this+that: christmas . . . break it down

Price $15 (tray not included)

You can use this kit with your digital craft cutter (Cricut, Silhouette, etc.)  as long as you can use the cut files of SVG/DXF. If you are using Cricut, you need to use a program such as Make The Cut (MTC) or Sure Cuts A Lot (SCAL) to get your computer to talk to your Cricut so it can use the SVG files.

You can create the project digitally. Refer to THIS POST for information on how to do that.

Just like the other two kits, due to my current method of distribution I’ve had to make some alternate file-saving choices so I can still e-mail the files to you once you’ve purchased the kit. However, with this kit you will be getting just one e-mail with one attachment for this kit. It comes in a zipped format, so use something like WinZip or Stuffit to extract/open the zipped file.

There are two specific directories containing all the files needed to create the TRAY project as shown using printouts for some pieces and your digital craft cutter for the others. One directory is called “TRAY Print Files” and the other one called “TRAY Cut Files”.

Normally my kits consist of GSD/SVG/DXF/JPG/PNG. This kit does not have JPGs, just PNGs. Also, I needed to keep the file size down by NOT including the printable items as a Print & Cut for Silhouette. Sorry. But almost all of the printables are straight cuts anyway, and those that aren’t I made sure would be easy to cut.

Here’s what you get:

• Two printable composite files in PNG format only. These composite filenames start with “tt” to indicate the “This & That” project.
  • Two composite files of the cuttable shapes. This composite filename also starts with “tt”.
  • Individual cuttable files named according to their style of shape for easier sorting. These files are made for all uses and are not sized and trimmed for the 7gypsies tray.
  • The same cuttable shapes as PNG files (no JPGs) for all you digital scrappers.

Due to file size issues, there are no individual files for the printable images with the exception of the ones that aren’t a full image (e.g., the thermometer) or ones that are a cardstock background piece (this is the first time I’ve used cardstock as a background in this line). You can use the Crop tool in your photo editing software with the composite images if you want to use the pieces individually.

The two printable composite files look like this. These files you print on your printer and trim using a paper trimmer or scissors as needed. Most of these are the background pieces for the slots of the 7gypsies tray.

Because some programs can alter the size, the width on the first file is 7.82″ and the second file is 7.54″

There is a postmark image that you’ll want to print on a transparency.

The two cuttable composite files looks like thisbut not in color. These are the files you use with your cutter (Silhouette, Cricut, Wishblade, etc.) to cut your cardstock pieces and layer with the pieces above in your 7gypsies tray.

Because some programs can alter the size, the width on the first file is 7.49″ and the second file is 7.9″.

All these pieces–which are again, sized and trimmed perfectly for the tray–are separated into the appropriate cardstock colors. This is how you will see it when you pull it up (sans color) into your cutter software. All you need to do is ungroup and/or move the unneeded shapes out of the cutting area and cut.

The background pieces for the presents have been marked to make it easier to know what they are for.

Here’s a few project tips (some are a repeat from the post before):

• Use photo paper or presentation paper to print your printables at home. I like using Epson Ultra Premium Photo Paper (Matte or Lustre) or Epson Premium Presentation Paper (Matte). Or, you could even print it at your local photo developer. I just made sure that the height doesn’t go over 10″, so you should be able to print both files on as an 8×10.
  • The printable background pieces can only fit into the square for which it was designed.
  • Stack of Presents. All the backing pieces are identified in the cut file. Start adhering them at the top of the present stack and work your way down. Once the presents are together, adhere the “Do Not Open” tag to the top right corner and tie a white string around the ensemble. Then, adhere to the background.
  • Santa Clothes. Adhere (on the backside) a white string along the top of the background–making the left side slightly lower than the right side. Use your own black cardstock to cut tiny strips in various quirky sizes to use as clothespins. This is meant to be uneven so let go of your OCD.
  • Gingerbread House. Use a button or rhinestone for the door knob.
  • Present. (bottom-ish-left). Use ribbon to tie around the cardstock to make it look like a present. The ribbon style that tickled my fancy is from American Crafts, however, it was not conducive to making an easy tight-knotted bow. The trick? Glue Dots!
  • Ornament. Used an actual ornament hook. I think y’all might have a few of those around right now, eh? ;) And while you can use the ornament without backing it (the red background shows through), if you’d rather add a different color, simply Ungroup and move the inside shapes of the ornament out of the way and you’ve got a backing piece.
  • Dear Santa. Use a 1/16″ hole punch to add holes to the top of the notebook paper. Use scissors to slice from edge to hole. Rip and bend the top to make it look like you ripped it out of a notebook. Print postmark on a transparency.
  • There are two white cardstock rectangles. The large one is the background for the Jingle Bells label and the smaller one is the background for the holly.
  • Double cut your images by simply copying and pasting the image on top of itself in your cutting software. That way you can be assured a clean cut on these small images. I double cut all the time. Another handy trick would be to use vinyl. It cuts nicely, plus you don’t need adhesive. Just a thought.
  • If this is your first time putting this project together, HERE is some information on the magnets I use so that I can easily swap out the pieces all year long.

While there are many places you can purchase the tray, you can find it on the 7gypsies website HERE and I purchased mine at Archivers.

Again, after making three of theses, I can see that all printer tray’s are not created equally, so you may have to trim a fraction off here and there. I usually set the back piece in its square first just to see if I’ll need to trim anything off.

Now, for something totally fun . . . or would that be funny. My girls and I have been getting a big kick out of this lately. They played it several times during the Storm Chasers marathon on Wednesday.

We laugh every time.

2018-03-01T18:21:50+00:00 December 3rd, 2010|digital shapes, this and that|10 Comments

1. Kathy (krolski) December 3, 2010 at 3:14 pm

I just saw this commercial last night and my DH and I cracked up. Too funny! :) LOVE this kit!!

2. Melissa December 3, 2010 at 3:29 pm

Ha! My husband saw this commercial while watching Stormchasers (he's a tad obsessed)and rewound it just so that I could see it. I thought it was hilarious too but you would of thought it was the funniest thing he ever heard in his life with how loud he laughed. He was still talking about that commercial this morning!

3. Rhadonda December 3, 2010 at 9:07 pm

Just a helpful hint. In the new Silhouette program there is a "double cut" selection now so you don't have to copy and paste. When you send to cut it is under "change settings" where you tell it cardstock, paper, blade, etc. Hope that helps. I would think it is the same difference!

4. Kathy Martin December 4, 2010 at 1:01 am

Gorgeous tray! :)

5. Anonymous December 5, 2010 at 7:07 am

Is there a problem with the link? I've been trying to buy it, but it won't take me to paypal when I click it–nothing happens! Thanks!

6. Kerri December 5, 2010 at 1:05 pm

Thanks for letting me know. I'd tested it once and it worked, but then was fixing a formatting problem and must have messed it up. But it works now. :)

And Rhadonda…thanks for sharing your tip!

7. I answer to Mom December 11, 2010 at 4:19 am

OK – not sure this is the right place for questions – but hopefully someone can help.
    first – I love this kit. The December is the first one I have done. I noticed that my colors seem darker and more subtle than your pictures. Was yours a "bright" green? My colors were more olive and burgandy than red and green. Wondering if I did something wrong when I printed it? Also, I had to trim quite a bit off of the background pieces – prob. 1/8". I tried to have them printed at a processing center and they told me they would have to crop it. I just asked for an 8×10 – is there a trick if you want to have the "print" files printed somewhere else? I see you recommed cutting on vinyl? Is that what you use? If not, how do you adhere the "fine" cut outs? I used a ball point glue pen but still had some trouble. Thanks again! I am looking forward to the future kits!

8. Kerri December 11, 2010 at 3:30 pm

I answer to Mom,

Yes, my colors were more vivid. My guess is the place you had them printed altered them in some fashion. But olive and burgundy? That seems pretty far away from the color scheme. Usually the colors on my monitor are pretty spot-on with what I'm going to print. And I print my things on an Epson R1400 Photo Printer…so it's a good printer. That's the hard part of all this is that monitors and printers (your own or a photo place) are all subject to differences. That's why I can't even suggest a color of cardstock to use either (someone had asked) because what my printer prints might be different than someone else's.

And I don't know why you would need to trim so many pieces by an 1/8" unless they are expanding the image to reach the full 8×10 when printing it. It should be printed "as is" because one file is 7.54×8.19 and the other 7.82×9.37…both under 8×10.

I did not use vinyl on mine, but I have done it on a similar project in the past (the "together forever" in this post: http://kerribradford.typepad.com/just_me/2010/01/back.html).

I use a Zig glue pen to adhere all those tiny little pieces. It's funny, because as I'm putting it together, it makes me think of those miniature dollhouses or a model airplane. Scrapbook tweezers also help with placement.

Okay, so I don't know if all that rambling helped or not. ;) The moral of the story, make sure your printing place prints it "as is" and if the color doesn't match like you want it, have them redo it…they shouldn't charge you either.

9. I answer to Mom December 11, 2010 at 7:37 pm

Thank you so much…it really does help. I ended up printing them at home on cardstock because I only had glossy photo paper. I just did one on glossy to test it out and the colors are brigher – the paper must be throwing the color off.

I finished one – it actually looks reall good in the burgandy/olive colors.

thank you SO much for all of your help! and yes the tweezers were used a lot!

10. I answer to Mom December 14, 2010 at 3:06 pm

I just finished making one digitally. I will have to say – that was a lot of fun also, and a little less stressful for me since I didn't have to deal with all the tiny pieces ( I am not much of a paper crafter and really do not have a lot of patience!) Thank you so much for providing a kit that allows for both types of crafting. I actually kind of made it a hybrid. Some of the easier pices to cut by hand I had printed and layered by hand and add a few embelishments to finish it out. I am SO glad I found you! Thanks again for all your hard work!