making a lace paper

I loooove lacey papers.
And I looooove tone-on-tone backgrounds.
You might remember this page I made quite some time ago.
Did you know that you can make your own lace paper with your single-image shapes?
If you didn’t know, wanna see how?
You know that’s a rhetorical question, right? ;)
Open any shape into your cutting software.
 For my example, I’m using the flower that came in the Every Little Thing kit.

Resize it in whatever sizes you need, copy the shapes, and rotate and place them so that the edges of the petals overlap a little. (I chose three sizes to have some kind of consistency.)

Once you have all your flowers laid out (let them go over the edge), select them all (Ctrl-A), choose Object/Modify/Weld. For SCAL, choose Object/Merge. For MTC, choose Edit/Shape Magic/Weld.

For whatever reason in my example, there was one petal that lost its little insides. If that occurs, simply choose another petal, copy and paste it where you need it. Rotate it a tiny bit, if necessary, by clicking on the little green dot of the selected image (in Silhouette Studio).

Voila! You’re done! You’ve made your very own lace paper!
If you want, you can draw a square or rectangle around the area that you need or, just let it cut it out as you see it and trim it however you need it.

2017-02-07T18:29:07+00:00 February 11th, 2011|silhouette, tips and tricks|18 Comments

1. susies1955 February 11, 2011 at 10:34 pm

Cool. Thanks for the tutorial. :)
    Susie

2. kkrewtea February 11, 2011 at 10:52 pm

WOWZA! How cool. Thanks for the info!

3. jackiestamps4fun February 12, 2011 at 12:30 am

Hey, thanks! I actually went and tried this and I DID IT! Yea! I didn't get the whole "inside of the petal missing" thing, but that's ok. I actually learned something and I'm super happy! This one – I could follow. Thanks again!

4. Kerri February 12, 2011 at 12:47 am

Cool Jackie! I LOVE hearing that!

5. Stephanie February 12, 2011 at 8:51 am

thank you. very cool…so many possibilities. :)

6. Issy February 12, 2011 at 9:07 pm

Love ALL your tutorials Kerri! Love from Scotland xoxo

7. Calene February 13, 2011 at 2:56 am

Well, look at you being so awesome! Thank you!!

8. Michelle February 13, 2011 at 4:41 pm

You are so awesome! :)

9. luvmysilhouette February 13, 2011 at 5:49 pm

Great Tip Kerri You Are Awesome…Thanks so much…xoxoxo

10. Kelly and Dan Gengler February 16, 2011 at 4:12 am

I am so missing you at the SIL blog! thanks for the great tutorial!

11. Kerri February 16, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Thanks Kelly! You are very sweet! :) And thanks to everyone for the support here. You are all wonderful and amazing!

12. ljritchie February 18, 2011 at 6:22 am

Wow! That's just beautiful!!! I am pretty sure mine would not turn out that way…

13. Sandra February 21, 2011 at 7:56 am

Thanks Kerri, for the great tutorial.
    With these kind of tutorials I get to learn to do more and more with my silhouette.

Sandra

14. Kerri February 21, 2011 at 2:31 pm

That's great Sandra! Love it! :)

15. Tania April 26, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Kerri, this tutorial is so awesome! I use these types of pre-bought papers all the time so when I saw this I immediately tried to make it work with my "other" machine but it failed miserably. Everything looked perfect on the screen, but it just wouldn't print. So after wishing for a Silhouette forever (and not having my machine cut this), I hit the buy button and it is now on its way! I am so looking forward to learning more and your blog is a great place for information! Thank you so much!

16. Kerri April 27, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Congratulations on your new purchase Tania! You will LOVE it…really, there's nothing that cuts like a Silhouette.

Happy cutting! :)

17. Debora Bergamo Rocha July 9, 2013 at 8:40 pm

Por favor eu tenho um papel rendado e dele preciso fazer recortes formas triangulo, quadrado para inserir em caixas em vários lados para que fique vazado, como posso fazer desse papel rendado formas para inserir em caixas para compor conjuntos com convites> Pode por favor me explicar? Pois recortar o papel 12 x 12 mas eu quero deste papel apenas um retangulo e um quadrado para colocar na caixa e na hora de cortar ela saia com as rendas do papel. Compreende? Por favor aguardo uma resposta, obrigado!

• Kerri July 10, 2013 at 7:21 am

Debora,
      I’m sorry, Google translator isn’t translating accurately enough for me to really understand what you need. Do you have another message board that speaks your language that could help answer your question? I’m so sorry I can’t help you.