feeling a little A.D.D.

today’s topics:  sneak peak | friday freebie | warning

(see what I mean about a.d.d.?)

Wow. I certainly have had an interesting week. I think with the stress of everything going on, it’s causing a focusing problem. lol  I’m flitting from one project to another, trying to work on it all or work on things while I’m in the mood for it–or while I’m inspired or on a roll for it.

the sneak peak

This little bout of ADD has caused me to not be able to focus on creating the next This & That kit in my normal manner. I am all over the place–I just can’t decide on things. lol Therefore, since it’s all still a work in progress, rather sharing some complete squares, I thought I’d share some of the fun elements of the kit. At least you’ll get the flav-ah.

love the lace design. and love the subway art. two of my faves.

This kit is more spring related with a hint of Easter. I debated over making it a full-on Easter kit, but thought mixing Easter-type elements into a Spring theme would be more universal. Sometimes Easter happens in March. And this year, Easter is the last week of April. So since it’s all over the place (as it appears I am too), I thought this route would be more fun. :)

The color scheme was totally inspired by a Pier 1 Imports flyer that came in the mail!

Loooved the aqua, green and yellow combination.

Mmmm……

The kit will be up later next week.

the friday freebie

With all the photo mask stuff going on, I thought that having a photo mask Friday Freebie might help those of you who are on the fence about trying these out. :)

This one freebie can do either of these 4×6 photo choices.

When you pull up the file, it looks like this below. Look at the Layers palette and you’ll see three layers: Solid Mask, Distressed Mask and Title.

Decide which look you want–distressed or plain–and click the “eye” of the layer on the one that you don’t want. For my example, I’m going to use the Distressed Mask, so you can see that I clicked on the “eye” next to Solid Mask, thereby “hiding” that particular mask. I’ve also brought in the photo that I want to use.

Just like the other masks, move your photo just above the layer that you want, hover your mouse over the line between the two layers that you are going to mask, press the Alt key (see the “bumble bee”), then click your mouse, so that it now looks like this.

(For more details on using Masks, refer to THIS POST.)

The “love this” title is on its own layer and can be removed as well.

It’s also set to an Opacity of 75% for a different look, but you can control that as well by changing the Opacity at the top the Layers palette.

This would be cool for a blog post or for digital scrapping.

While you can save it as a JPG or PNG, saving it as  PNG will keep the background with a transparent look. If you save it as a JPG, it will save it with a white background.

I saved my examples as PNGs.

So there ya go. Give this freebie a whirl and see just how easy–AND FUN–it is to use a mask. These are Photoshop files that can be used in Photoshop, PS Elements, and Corel (I believe).

You can download this mask for free HERE.

Have fun with it! :)

the warning

I debated posting about this story, but then thought, “I have a voice. Maybe this will help someone else. I should tell people.” Because I had never heard of this.

We had a very scary incident this week. My in-laws were an inch away from being scammed out of a great deal of money. And when I say “an inch”, I mean, they had actually wired the money but were able to get it back almost immediately after sending it. Beyond lucky.

The somewhat short version of this story is someone called them, claiming to be Zach (who had a cold), and told them that he was in jail. “The mission president” had allowed “Zach” to attend the funeral of a Canadian companion’s family, who had been killed in a horrible car accident. A ride to lunch with a couple of the guys, a speeding incident, and finding marijuana in the car had led “Zach” to jail. Even though he was innocent, the very kind “sheriff” told them bail money was still needed to get him out.

“Zach” asked them not to tell us because he didn’t want to get in trouble, so they weren’t allowed to tell anyone. Well, of course if we had heard this story we would have totally known otherwise for many various reasons.

They had wired the money and she called me once for something else and then within five minutes called back to see if I’d heard from Zach that day. How lucky was it that it was an emailing day and we’d just started emailings–and he was quite late in emailing too.

She realized that she’d been scammed. She called and had the money wire cancelled immediately.

Now, this woman is incredibly intelligent. All she could think was, “I never thought it would happen to me.”

Apparently this scam is common among grandparents of college students. After talking with the mission president (the real one), he said he hadn’t really heard about it happening with missionaries though, but after passing the incident along to the higher ups in the church, they informed him that this happens 2-3 times a week!

The crazy thing is, these people knew “enough” about missionaries and I don’t know if they guessed that Zach had had a Canadian mission companion or knew he had. But my in-laws knew he had. It all sounded so convincing. And how did they know that they had a missionary grandson?

On top of that, they called the following morning at 6 a.m. asking if they were going to send the money! They didn’t give up!

Dan says, “There should be a special place in hell for these people.”

We’ve had lots of questions, ‘what if’s, and ‘how did they know’s.

So I just want everyone who hears this story to pass it along to someone else and tell them to pass it along.

Please

I want to do my part and get the word on this scam out to everyone so that it will happen less and less and discourage these scam artists. Especially tell the grandparents who have older grandchildren in college or on a mission. Because like I say, my incredibly intelligent mother-in-law never thought it would happen to her.

And I just want to add that as I was typing all this up, Zach’s mission president allowed him to call home this morning and we got to talk for about 15 minutes. So that was just a super fun surprise! I haven’t heard his voice since Christmas. We’re officially at “less than three weeks” now for him to come home.

Can’t wait. :)

Have a wonderful weekend!

2017-02-07T18:28:57+00:00 March 25th, 2011|freebies, photo templates, photography|20 Comments

1. Lynn March 25, 2011 at 4:22 pm

I want to tell you something similar happened to my 88 year old grandmother. Luckily my mother answered the phone and told them that the grandchild in question could not be in that particular situation and that if he was he should call his Dad. The people knew a lot about my cousin (like where he lived, where he traveled for his job, and that his dad also traveled for his job). It was scary. My mom told my grandmother that if anyone called about her grandchildren get a number and call one of her kids to handle it. It hasn't happened since to our family but people are EVIL.

2. GabyCreates.com March 25, 2011 at 4:26 pm

I am so sorry to hear that Kerri, I too cannot understand how crooks know all this detail information??!! Sad!! But it can happen to anyone! And so happy for you that your son is coming home in three weeks… you brought memories of when I use to have the sister (missionary) live with me when I was a single mom. I sort of miss them!

3. Rhadonda March 25, 2011 at 5:39 pm

That happened in our area to a pastor's wife. And my daughter was scammed $600 on Craig's list though we should have seen all the red flags. But we were of the same thinking "it won't happen to us". Yes there truly is evil for sure. I don't know how those people go to sleep at night. But they WILL answer some day and it will be horrible eternal consequences. The kit is AMAZING,looooooove the colors. Can't wait. know what's sad?….i have all the March kit cut out and never got it put together in the tray, life got crazier than normal. Thanks for sharing ALL things. BTW I googled Horshack. Now i know ( :

4. scruzfam4 March 25, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Kerri – That is just awful…glad your in-laws get their money back. I will pass your story on.

Thank you for the freebie….loved, loved, LOVED it. I've been playing around with it this morning. I especially like the writing/saying on it and that it was for a 4×6 photo. If you ever decide to make a kit with the masks plus the wordings…sign me up for it LOL….hint, hint.

5. jamie.sorenson March 25, 2011 at 9:35 pm

Kerri, I am SO glad you shared this story. So very, very scary. I am so glad that it worked out and your inlaws aren't out in money. :( I will never understand why some people do these kinds of things. I agree wholeheartedly with Dan.

And your freebie? AMAZING. You have been rockin' the designs, my friend. You are WONDERFUL.
    Huge hugs!

6. Nichol Magouirk March 25, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Um, that wasn't Jamie, it was me, Nichol…stupid computer and signing in for work at 2peas…

SORRY!

7. Issy March 25, 2011 at 11:22 pm

Gosh Kerri- That must have been so scary!Unfortunately there are nasty people like that worldwide. However, on a positive note,(Note the reference to my Ali Edwards one little word!) I'm so glad that you got the chance to talk to Zach.By the way, have you got around to redecorating his room? LOL! If you haven't yet….just blame us lot! Tell him that your friends around the world CANNOT do without your fab designs. Thanks for your mask freebie and say "ta very much" to Zach too! Tell him that WE advised you to wait until HE advised you just how He'd like his room to be! LOL! Love from Scotland xoxo

8. Jan March 26, 2011 at 12:50 am

That is insane! Can't believe it's been two years. Kerri, you are an amazing photographer and so stinkin creative. Come to my house and teach me how to use your designs…..seriously. Love you!!

9. luvmysilhouette March 26, 2011 at 2:57 am

OMGOSH Kerri, That is just craaaaaazy I totally agree with Dan there should be a special place in HELL for people like that…So Glad they did get their $$$ back…Thanks for sharing will definitely pass it along.

OOOOOOOOH The New Kit looks amazing, and Thanks so much for the freebie, I'M still trying to master these things having a hard time still cannot get bumblebee but I will keep trying lol lol… Now @ less than 3 weeks Lets Git It Kerri…Huge Hugs from South Carolina…

10. cindysoul March 26, 2011 at 5:25 am

Kerri,
    Thanks so much for sharing! I just got a message from 'my boss' saying she had made an unexpected trip to London and was mugged. The message went on to say they luckily still had their passports but, they had no cash to pay their hotel bill and the hotel manager wouldn't let them leave until it was paid. They said they would pay me back the following day. I fell for it and emailed the crooks back. They then asked me to wire as much as I could, because they needed $1950.00!! I called another friend and asked if she'd heard anything about this and she said she had just seen my boss at the hospital that day! I think I was fooled because I was reading my email on my phone and thought I was reading a phone message and not an email message. I was shocked at how close I was to sending money to 'them'!!! So friends, if you are really in trouble you have to personally talk to me before I will help and believe me I'm going to grill you to make sure it's really you! LOL!

11. jill March 26, 2011 at 7:57 am

thanks for the feebie

12. Kerri March 26, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Okay, these other types of scams are just crazy! Thanks for sharing them. The more we can inform each other of all this, the better!

Issy, I don't think Zach will buy it. We've had two years. lol

Nichol darlin', I hope that Dr. Pepper did you some good yesterday. :)

13. Tia March 27, 2011 at 3:11 am

Oh wow. What a crazy story! I can't believe it happens so often. Those types of people just make me so mad. I'm glad they didn't get the money. They should do stories like this on the news to spread the word!

14. tallyscrapper March 27, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Kerri, I am so sorry your in laws almost got scammed. Glad they didn't get the money. I have
    seen on the news where some crooks actually get
    tidbits of informations from face book pages, like maybe that someone is traveling. They take that information and embellish it and also get contact information off of face book. This is scary to me. Thanks for the freebie. I love the
    overlay. So glad you talked to your son. My son
    is 20. I talk to him almost everyday, he is away at school (it would be hard if I couldn't talk to him very often). I know that you can't wait for him to come home.

15. Michelle March 28, 2011 at 7:47 pm

That story is crazy. So scary. Could it be someone that he interacts with a lot? Someone who would know who his grandparents were and where he was and who his companions are. It sounds like they had way too much information to be a stranger. It really sounds like it is someone who really knows what is going on in your sons life. That is just too coincidental. Scary.

16. Kim Thomas November 30, 2011 at 4:35 pm

I just saw this on 20/20 a few months ago, and thought it was terrible. I’m just glad to hear that they didn’t get the money. We should all try to get the word out that this is still happening. Just don’t forget that most people are good. It just really stands out when you hear about a bad one. By the way, the people doing this weren’t even from our country. Take care.

17. Katina December 10, 2011 at 10:32 pm

The same thing happened to one of my homecare patients. I happened to visit them during the middle of that call and was able to put a stop to it. Lucky for all of us as I had not heard of that scam and was able to pass the news along to friends and family.

18. JenB August 20, 2014 at 7:21 pm

This just happened to my folks too (about my brother’s son, the oldest grandchild). They were immediately suspicious and I’m sorry, but if my kid does get in trouble he better not go to his grandparents behind our back! I told my folks that!

19. Wendy February 10, 2015 at 5:42 am

Thank-you Kerri :)

20. Su Hall August 8, 2016 at 10:36 am

Here it is 5 years later and these asses are still trying this! I was harassed for over a year by some foreign speaking guy who demanded that I am Tommy Roberson (I’m a woman) and that I owe them money and an officer is going to come to my house and arrest me. After receiving 4-5 calls a week for a year, some of them on Sunday mornings at 6:00 am, they suddenly quit. I hope it is because they got caught!
    I get calls from the “IRS”, when, on disability, I haven’t had to pay taxes in 20 years! On one of the calls, which are actually just recordings saying you are in trouble with IRS, I called the number and the phone was answered by a man who answered “Hello?” I said I thought I was calling the IRS. He immediately says, “Oh, yeah! IRS!”
    I am elder, but, I try to stay informed. Elder people haven’t ever had to deal with this sort of thing, in this computer age, and they are so guarded about their credit, not to mention threats of going to jail. Talk to your elder family members and/or friends and alert them to these bogus tricks!
    Su