a weekend of reflection

It started off by thinking about how much things had changed over this past year and even the past few years. How everything I’ve done–not just in my work career–but in my life has led me to where I am today. To be able to do what I’m doing right now.

Everything happens for a reason.

Then I watched Eat Pray Love. Again. More reflection. I saw it in the theaters and then watched it again on Netflix this weekend. What is it about that movie? I read the book before seeing and it was good–not quite the format I was expecting, but there were many poignant things she said that you just say, “Right on.”

This weekend was also General Conference–eight hours of listening to the leaders of the LDS church over two days (on tv). Inspiring. Uplifting. Makes you want to be a better person.

And there always seem to be a few speakers that seem to be speaking to you. The one in particular for me was Elder Paul V. Johnson. Just added to the entire weekend of thoughts and feelings I had. One thing he said was,

“Many times a particular challenge helps prepare us for something vitally important. In the midst of problems, it’s nearly impossible to see that the coming blessings far out-weigh the pain, humiliation or heart-break we may be experiencing at the time.”

If you’d like to watch his talk, check it out on lds.org HERE. Or you can watch it here on my blog.

I would highly recommend it, particularly if you are having a challenging time in your life–regardless of your faith. It’s very uplifting.

I feel like I have been guided on a path that allows me to be at home and work and be there for my children. There have been times when I didn’t feel like I was very “blessed” and felt that “humiliation and heart-break”, but knowing that Heavenly Father has something different in store for me–that I am not privy to knowing–and having the faith and the courage to go through it all has made me stronger as well as a better person, wife, and mom.

“The moral of the story is,” if you are going through a difficult time in your life, have the courage to forge through it. It will make you stronger, more compassionate, and a better person. I know it may not seem like it at the moment, but as time passes, you will come to know and understand why you needed that lesson or trial and that maybe there’s something beyond that current difficulty that will enrich and better your life or even the lives of others.

Like I keep saying:
Everything happens for a reason.
Love to you all! :)
2017-02-07T18:28:55+00:00April 4th, 2011|Uncategorized|15 Comments

1. lkaye April 4, 2011 at 4:31 pm

Thanks Kerry! I needed this!

2. Seester2T April 4, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Definitely where faith comes in. We may not see the big picture but we have to have faith that HE knows what HE is doing and is leading us in the right direction.

3. luvmysilhouette April 4, 2011 at 10:17 pm

You are 100% right Miss. Kerri Thanks…xo

4. Issy April 5, 2011 at 12:20 am

It's so wonderful, Kerri, to see how strong you've become again and how much faith you've regained in yourself and your awesome talent. You so deserve to be feeling good as I know the last year was tricky for you. Do you remember the picture that you posted on your blog of the big door? Well you have really pushed it open! Well done and keep doing what you're doing! With love from Scotland xo

5. cindysoul April 5, 2011 at 2:23 am

Thank you for sharing this Kerri!!! I think he was talking to ME too!!! :0) We've had a horrible year!!! Last month I took my daughter Jasmine, to Farmington Utah to have Robin Johnson take her photo for Fairy Days…(Robin was SO awesome!!!) I could never have imagined all the blessings we received!!! You're so right…everything happens for a reason!!!
    P.S. When you read the book did you ever imagine her as Julia Roberts? Lol!! She was great though!!! XO Cindy

6. Ellie A. April 5, 2011 at 2:42 am

I LIVE by that saying. I have been shown that over & over again in my life. I tell it to my kids and sure enough my oldest actually told me hmm mom your right everything does happen for a reason…

7. jbuffan April 5, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Kerri,
    I dont know where to begin. I will begin by saying Thank You for posting this . I am not LDS but have watched many of the videos on you tube. There is something about the messages that always speak to me. They are a great source of comfort at a time in my life when nothing is certain and everyday seems to bring another struggle into my life. The last 2 years have been the hardest of my life and my faith is the only thing that has kept me sane.I realize that GOD is teaching me lessons that I must learn,strengthing me for something better than I can't even imagine right now.When he is ready he will bless me and bring me through this time of trial. Elder Johnsons message found me in a very dark place on a day that was looking very grim. So thank you for sharing, you really never know who is out here listening. I can finally admit that my mother( and you) are right…..Everything happens for a reason.

8. Cindy April 5, 2011 at 3:07 pm

Thanks Kerri! I also am not LDS – – but have been so touched by so many of the messages of your faith. I especially love the 6 B's and have taught them to my children because I believe they are important.
    Life has been very tough for our family for the past couple of years! My husband is a builder and our income has been cut drastically because of the economy. I know there is a light at the end of this dark tunnel – I just wish I could see it!
    Thank you for your great messages. I know we are not the only ones going through trails – it just seems like it sometimes!
    I am so thankful for my faith. It really is the only thing that keeps us going each day.

9. Kerri April 5, 2011 at 5:19 pm

I have been deeply touched by everyone's comments. I so very much appreciate your thoughts and can empathize with those going through your difficult times. I'm so glad that this video has helped you as much as it has for me.

Thank you for sharing. I think when we all talk then we don't feel quite so alone and know we can get through it.

And Cindy–my hubby is in the construction business too. That's added to our trials over the past year or two. But now? He's–what I like to say–building Jerusalem. ;) The LDS church is building a movie set of a life-size Jerusalem. It's pretty incredible. He does specialty finishes so he's got a job down there for two or three months "carving stone" (they spray it on and shape the stone). It's funny, he'll come home and say, "I worked on Herod's palace today."

If anyone is interested in that project, you can check it out here: http://www.ldschurchnews.com/articles/60343/Biblical-scenes-emerging-in-Utahs-own-land-of-Goshen.html

And again, thank you for sharing your thoughts here on this subject.

xo

10. GabyCreates.com April 5, 2011 at 11:57 pm

Thanks Kerri for posting this!

11. Amy Rohl April 6, 2011 at 3:33 pm

Thank you for this post! Ü

12. Kathryn April 7, 2011 at 5:21 am

Kerri, I stumbled upon your blog when I was looking for a few free gsd cutting files. You sound like a lovely person with a great perspective and I enjoy reading about your life and seeing what you have designed. Thanks for a little insight. I am LDS and we too enjoyed conference. What an uplifting time to regenerate and help us move forward with faith. Thanks for your postings and keep up the good work!

13. Kerri April 8, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Kathryn,
    You are so kind! Thanks for stopping by and I hope to see you around. :)

Kerri

14. cindy April 9, 2011 at 3:07 pm

Ker, I finally had a moment to catch up on your blog and want to say thank you, especially for this post in particular. I've watched as you've had many trials to deal with over the past year or so and I want you to know that I have truly learned from your great example of having faith and being willing to do what it takes to work through everything. I admire your patience and strength and wisdom. Like anyone, we are going through some trials right now too and I need to keep perspective and have faith that everything will work out. Your blog post has helped to get me back on the right track again. Thank you! :)

15. stampgram April 11, 2011 at 12:27 am

I just found your blog recently. I too enjoyed this talk…and really all of the talks from Conference. But this one was especially timely as I have a family member who is struggling with some serious things right now.
    Thanks, Connie