happy mother’s day!

This time of year is always a special one. It has lots of meaning for different reasons. First and foremost it means I am a mom to three amaaazing kids. While life isn’t always bliss, I thank my lucky stars to have such normal kids. They are talented and funny and I love sitting around the front room just chatting with them. And for the first time in three years, we are all together again.

Mother’s Day also has some sadness for me. About seven years ago (in July) my mom passed away from a series of strokes at–what I consider to be–a young age of 65. This woman you thought would have lived to 102 at the rate she kept going and taking care of the family farm. You just never know. I’m sure there are many of you that lost your mother even earlier than that. Not fun. Not fun at all.

With all the reflection I’ve had going on,
I’ve had this expression going in my head for the past few days:
it’s what moms are for

They are there to . . .
teach you how to cook
to play games
put a bandaid on
read a book
buy you clothes
play hide & seek with you and your friends
listen
sing along loudly to music in the car
feed you popsicles when you have a sore throat
drive you to the mall with your friends
eat with you at your favorite restaurant
teach her grandkids to work on the farm
(or drive on the farm)
care for you
love you
always be there . . . for as long as possible
. . . .

The list could go on and on. I think the few things that my mom “was there for” and instilled in me is a love of nature, a love of a weekend trip or to just ‘go for a drive’, a love of photography, a love of family, how to be kind and honest . . . just to name a few.

I know we all are in different stages in our lives. Some may not have mothers or be a mother. You may have mother figures in your life. Whatever the case may be, today is a time for reflection on womanhood in general.

I challenge you to jot down some notes on motherhood,
womanhood, or whatever your situation may be.
What have you learned and hope to learn from the women or children in your life?
What does being a mother or woman mean to you?
And if you need a little journaling prompt? How ’bout this  freebie.

You can download this shape for free HERE.
(Comes in SVG/STUDIO/DXF/AIv8/PNG)
It’s also the usual “all one piece” with a “moms” accent.

I thought perhaps I’d share a couple pages that I made a few years ago (a little dated ;)) about my mom after she passed away (I’m sure I’ve shared these before). This first page happened to be about the weekend of her funeral. Everywhere we went as we drove through town, there was some sign that reminded me of her and I had to take pictures and write about each place.

(a photo template would have been nice for this one! i did it the really HARD way!)

This is something you could do now with your mom, with your kids, even your husband or girlfriends. It’s a fun way to remember places–which do change over time. They go away, signs change, etc. It’s fun to capture what you can in the moment.

On another trip to the farm, the kids and I were reminiscing about things that reminded us of “grandma,” which spurred this page.

Again, another great idea for remembering all the little pieces about a person. It was fun hearing the kids’ take on what “grandma” meant too.

So this is the perfect weekend to just jot down your feelings. You can always do a page with it later, but write it down now.

You are all just amazing women! I’ve made some pretty great friends here
on my blog and I very much appreciate your friendship and support.
And I want to wish you all a . . .
xo
k
2018-02-28T19:23:18+00:00May 8th, 2011|freebies|11 Comments

1. Issy May 8, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Happy Mother's Day to You, Kerri! And thank you for the freebie, my sweet friend! Love from Scotland xo

2. Scrapthat May 8, 2011 at 4:23 pm

Thanks so much for the file Kerri! I always get so excited when you have a free file! (your's are da bomb!)
    HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY to you also!!

3. Jan May 8, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Hope your Mother's Day is wonderful. Thanks for all you do….you are the best!

4. luvmysilhouette May 8, 2011 at 6:06 pm

Happy Mothers Day Miss.Kerri, Hope you have a perfect day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!We Love You Bunches…
    Thanks soooooooooooooo much for the wonderful freebie…xo

5. dianem May 8, 2011 at 8:02 pm

Thank you for the Mother's Day gift!
    I hope you have a wonderful day as well.

6. dawnelaine May 8, 2011 at 9:55 pm

Thank you for the beautiful download, Kerri! I so love you titles!! And just perfect for the very many mom page ideas going around my head! And you are so right about jotting down things while in the moment… It is unbelievable the wonderful memories we let go of when we haven't photographed them or journaled them!

Happy Mother's Day to you, Kerri! Have a great day!

7. Sue May 9, 2011 at 12:42 am

Happy Mother's day!!! Thanks so much for the freebie and for reminding me of how wonderful my mother was. What a wonderful layout you created about your mother.

8. Rhadonda May 9, 2011 at 2:16 am

Glad you were ALL together this year! My girls were away at college across the state but my son was here. It was a good day. Thanks for the title, awesome as usual. Thanks for your encouragement and generosity.

9. nativetexangirl May 10, 2011 at 4:14 am

What great ideas for a page! Thank you for the terrific title!

10. Heather D. May 12, 2011 at 1:38 pm

So cute! BUT…I can't download it :( When I click the link I get an error saying that IE can't download it – that it's either unavailable or can not be found. Boo hoo!

11. Kerri May 12, 2011 at 1:57 pm

You know Heather, I wonder if there are issues with Internet Explorer and downloading from Google Docs. I've heard this combination before. I've also heard something about trying to clear out the cache to see if that will work?

When I went to search for some answers, I see that this happens a lot with IE. I'm curious if it has issues with something like Firefox (which was always my preference on a PC).

The forums I'm reading make it seem to occur with IE version 8. No one on Google is answering the questions though, which is really strange.

If you can try using another browser, I would love to know if it works. And if it doesn't, just let me know and I'll email you the file.

This seems to be a more recent issue too…like in the past month…

We'll still get you hooked up Heather! :)