weekend recap

This past weekend Zach, Kass and I went to Idaho to the family farm. We were suppose to be there to help work, but I don’t think we got a whole lot done. ;)

Instead we:

1. Visited a lot with my aunt.
  2. Had yogurt at a new place in town.
  3. Saw her friend spraying fields in a big ol’ tractor (you could fit a small car under that thing).
  4. Thought we had someone trying to break into the house . . . which turned out to be a dog (more details below).
  5. Went for an evening walk and saw new pine cones or pine tree somethings starting to form (in all my years, I’ve never seen those red things).
  6. Saw baby birds in a nest on a stump within a bush. No, we didn’t touch the nest. :) It was funny though, Kass would whistle and the little wide-open mouths would come up out of the nest.
  7. Watched and took photos of the crop duster that kept buzzing our house. Of course, he saw the kids taking photos and kept buzzing the house . . . and wagging his wings to say hello.
Here’s the ‘visual’ recap. :)
(photos by kass / photo template from ‘picture that‘)
Now. About that dog. Let’s just say that Dan is never letting us go to the farm again. Last spring we brought home a kitten. This year? A stray dog. But he is the sweetest dog! Here’s how the story goes.

So Friday night, as Kass and I were visiting in the front room, we hear the front door knob jiggle. Then I hear ‘footsteps’ on the porch . . . at 10:30 at night. We were both wondering what we’d heard. Zach was *ehem* ‘indisposed’ and our aunt was in her bedroom. Kass went to see if everyone was, in fact, where we thought they were and she proceeded to tell aunt-ee about what we’d heard. By that time Zach had opened the door and said it sounded like someone was walking outside the back–trying to look in windows.

Aunt-ee calls 911.

Police show up.

When we open the door? Doggie is there.

“No, officers. Not our dog.”

“Well, we’ll go check around and see if we can find anything.”

Nope. Nada. Just a dog.

The wheels start turning in our little house. Doggie is quite tall, door knob is lower than most. 1+1=doggie nudgin’ the door knob makin’ it jiggle.

In all our years . . . never had that happen.

Next morning? Doggie is still there. And really? We think he’s still a puppy . . . a rather large puppy.

So, puppy stayed with us as we were working outside. I felt sorry for puppy and gave it some water. I know, I know. Shouldn’t feed the strays so they’ll move on, but he was looking skinny and limping. Didn’t know how long he’d been missing and/or if he fell out of someone’s truck.

After two or three hours . . . felt even sorrier for the puppy and went and bought some dog food.

Can’t reach Animal Control on a Saturday and no one at the local farmer’s store knows of anyone missing a dog either.
Puppy is still there the next day. Aunt-ee not too keen on keeping puppy, so we bring him home with us. I just couldn’t stand the thought of him going to the animal shelter the next day and risking him getting put to sleep. He’s such a lovable dog! And how can you resist that face???

I just hope we have the space for him. He’s probably going to be a big dog. He was so perfect on that farm. We went walking with him that evening and he just felt like he fit there. Alas, we’ll just have to take him places like to Dan’s parent’s house, where there’s some room to run or up the canyon or to the lake(s).

Jordan, who couldn’t go, said “He’s CUTE, bring him home!” when I sent her a text and photo. ;)

The cat, however, has a different opinion.

Some big dog has invaded his backyard territory.
2018-02-15T21:08:33+00:00June 6th, 2011|Uncategorized|10 Comments

1. Lulu June 7, 2011 at 6:34 am

Oh I love the dog! You forgot the best part, the name? :)

2. Kerri June 7, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Hmm…still haven't decided on a name. We thought it would be fun to give him a 'notorious' name like Sundance or Bandit considering how he came to us, but nothing seems to fit. It'll come. :)

3. kimmik June 7, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Love the pictures! I think you were close to where I live. Burley, right? It was a great weekend to visit!

4. Tia June 8, 2011 at 4:53 am

Love to hear the stories of the farm. Great pictures too! It's a cute little doggie. :) Hearing those noises probably would have freaked me out!

5. Calene June 11, 2011 at 9:09 pm

Oh, I LOVE it! As a mom of many strays and rescues over the years, those dogs KNOW you saved them, and they are the best dogs ever. Your kids are growing up and heading out soon….sniff, sniff, I know…and trust me, you are gonna love having that big pup around. And I think you should name him Scout. After all, he was "scouting" you out. ;)

6. Kerri June 13, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Yeah Tia, you better watch out! Next time you're up there you may come home with an animal too! ;) And I wouldn't call him "little". We think he's a puppy still, but he comes up to our thighs and can plow you over when running back with his toy and then running into you–believe me, I know. lol He's like a tank!

Calene, the name Scout sounds fun! We STILL haven't picked a name, but I threw that out to the kids. It's got a nice ring to it.

But we've been having fun with him–except when he learned he could hop the shorter chain link fence that we have on one side of the house. I don't want to pen him up because that's just not me, so we've gotten a long tether and have a tree in the middle of the yard so he still has pretty much full use of the yard. Seems to be working well for now and we don't have to worry about him getting out.

He really is just a happy pup though and loves everyone he comes into contact with. Very sweet dog.

And Kimmik, yep, Burley. :)

7. Calene June 18, 2011 at 11:08 pm

SSSOOOOOO….what's the latest update on Scout? ;)

8. Kerri June 20, 2011 at 3:54 am

Calene….you are so cute! Thanks for asking about [insert name here]. Can you believe we still can't decide on a flippin' name? He's doing good. He did cut his paw open–probably from jumping the chain link fence. So he's a conehead / walking lamp–it's a toss up.

Need some tips on how to get him to stop barking and how to get him from jumping on us. He's just an excited pup, but he's a BIG pup. Once he can get a bit more obedience and under control, I think everyone will be much happier (and by that I mean my husband–lol).

9. Calene July 8, 2011 at 6:44 pm

Is there a name update on this little critter, Kerri? Has he taken over your space in the house? Is he your little shadow? They tend to do that…those fur balls. :)

10. Kerri July 9, 2011 at 3:59 am

Ahhhh, the name. Took us for-e-ver to all come to an agreement.

The name?

Otis.

And NO, he has NOT taken over space in the house. That would be like putting an elephant in a china shop. :) He's still in a puppy stage, but practically full grown. Spaz. Definitely an outdoor dog. Wouldn't mix well with the cat…at. all.