tomato basil parmesan soup

aka. the best danged soup you’ll ever have!

We’ve add this new delectable delight to our faves!

Want the recipe? :)

1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. flour
1 c. parmesan cheese
2 c. half+half, warmed
1 t. salt
1/2 t. black pepper

In a large slow cooker, combine tomatoes, celery, carrots, chicken broth, onions, bay leaf, oregano, and basil (if using fresh oregano and basil; if using dried, add those two at the last hour of cook time). Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hours until flavors are blended and vegetables are soft.

About an hour before serving prepare a roux: Melt butter over low heat in a skillet and add flour; stir constantly with whisk for 5-7 minutes. Slowly stir in 1 cup hot soup from slow cooker. Add another 3 cups soup and stir until smooth.

Add all back into slow cooker. Stir and add parmesan cheese, warmed half+half, salt+pepper. Cover and cook on low for another hour until ready to serve. Puree, if desired.

Note: Because I puree my soup at the end, I don’t worry about chopping everything finely. In fact, I dump in shredded carrots, add two stalks of celery–that I remove after cooking along with the bay leaf, throw in chunks of onion….that kind of thing. I figure why bother chopping everything so finely when you’re just gonna puree it. ;)

If you’re a Zupas fan, I think this is pretty close to their Tomato Basil soup.
Just need to add orzo pasta next time. ;)

Believe me when I say . . . oh my gosh!!!!

2017-02-07T18:28:24+00:00 November 14th, 2011|recipes|11 Comments

1. Lara Read November 14, 2011 at 8:54 am

OH man Zuppa’s Tomato Basil is my favorite! I wish I could just drink the whole pot :) I’m going to give this a try this week. thanks!

• Kerri November 14, 2011 at 8:57 am

I am right with ya sis-tah! I get it almost every.single.time.
      Guess I’m not much for variety–it’s just too good.
      Why mess with perfection. ;)

2. Janet Swanlady November 14, 2011 at 11:11 am

Looks yummy . . . but it will have to wait to next winter – too hot now for soup . . . unless it’s Gazpacho! Thanks for sharing your recipe!

3. Ruth G November 14, 2011 at 11:55 am

I love tomato soup! Thanks for sharing what looks like an amazing recipe!

4. Sue FitzGerald November 14, 2011 at 7:03 pm

Sound delicious Kerri. A quick question though, what is half and half for this ignorant Aussie?

• Kerri November 14, 2011 at 7:43 pm

Well this ignorant American is wondering what Gazpacho is. ;)
      Half+Half is thicker than milk but not as thick as cream (or heavy cream).
      Do you guys have something like that? You could probably use milk and be fine.

5. Rhadonda November 14, 2011 at 10:25 pm

Can’t wait to try this. I also love that it is crockpot and blender simple, especially with the hand blender wand thing. Yummo!

6. Karen W November 14, 2011 at 11:02 pm

I love Tomato soup and I’m going to give this a try.
    Thanks Kerri!

7. Sue FitzGerald November 15, 2011 at 5:38 pm

Thanks Kerri :-) Oh and I think gazpacho is a type of cold soup, but don’t quote me on that, heehee.

• Kerri November 16, 2011 at 5:39 am

Dan and I had a conversation about cold soup.
      The consensus? Why would anyone eat soup cold?
      The only one we know of is a cold potato soup called Vichyssoise.
      Never had it and it doesn’t sound good to me.
      I like my potatoes hot….with bacon, cheese and green onion, thank you. :)

8. […] see, I made gobs and gobs of cheesy potatoes, those peppermint brownies I mentioned on Facebook, Tomato Basil Parmesan soup, Pumpkin Bars, and Caramel French Toast. Butter. Butter. And more butter. But ohhhhhhh so […]