pumpkin bars

I thought perhaps with the upcoming holiday that maybe it might be nice to share some good recipes that you can take to Thanksgiving dinner. And there’s still a bit of time that you can try them out first!

Just picked this one up from my friend Marci Leishman,
who brought them when we were doing that scrapbook for the Make-a-Wish kid.

Had to have the recipe. They were divine!

Family loves them.

Made them for a family party Sunday night.
Would have taken a photograph . . . but . . . uhhhhh . . . we finished them off yesterday. ;)

Enjoy!

Pumpkin Bars

2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cloves
1 cup oil
2 cups canned pumpkin
4 eggs

optional: nuts, raisins or chocolate chips (really, would you use anything but chocolate chips? ;) )

Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9×13 pan. Mix all ingredients in order given. Place in greased pan. Bake 25-30 minutes. Cool, then frost.  (Note: You can also use cookie sheet. It makes a ton.)

Frosting:
2 cups powder sugar
1/3 cup butter
3 oz. cream cheese
1 T. milk
1 tsp. vanilla

Couple of notes. I didn’t have cloves, so obviously I didn’t use any and it tasted great. Also, you can use a small (regular) size of canned pumpkin for the 2 cups of canned pumpkin. I believe it’s just shy of 2 cups, but it works. And I used the cookie sheet method too. I like that much better. Plus, it’s easier to justify–and take–a bite of something that’s not thick like a cake. :)

2011-11-15T05:53:33+00:00 November 15th, 2011|recipes|11 Comments

1. Ruth G November 15, 2011 at 8:03 pm

I think I’ve already gained the 5 holiday pounds just reading your blog lately…Everything sounds soooooooo good! TFS!

• Kerri November 16, 2011 at 5:36 am

ha ha ha ha ha ha!
      yeah….try eating it and then come talk to me about weight. ;)
      why are the best things so bad for you???
      mmmmmmmm…………

2. Chalese Groberg November 16, 2011 at 8:24 am

Just a side note: I made this same recipe last weekend for an extended family dinner, only I substituted the entire cup of oil with 1 cup of applesauce and you couldn’t tell. I had so many compliments, everyone loved it!! Very moist

3. Karen W November 17, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Can’t wait to try this recipe!

Karen

4. Michele November 18, 2011 at 11:35 am

where’s your pix for this AND spinach dip? lol thank you!!!!!

5. Michele November 18, 2011 at 12:28 pm

dumb question … pls forgive me LOL … when you say:

2 tsp. baking powder
    1 tsp. soda

you mean, baking powder AND baking soda right??

I’m going to the store in a bit =)

• Kerri November 18, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Yup! I’ll change that just so it’s 100% clear. :)
      And pictures will come someday. Suppose to be making the pumpkin bars again soon….buuuut, hasn’t happened yet.

6. Michele November 18, 2011 at 2:44 pm

LOL … mines in the oven as we speak ….. and decided i wont do the frosting and just enjoy the bars :D we’ll see…. thanks kerri!

7. Michele November 18, 2011 at 4:52 pm

So DELICIOUS and moist! Love it thank you again kerri!

8. […] of cheesy potatoes, those peppermint brownies I mentioned on Facebook, Tomato Basil Parmesan soup, Pumpkin Bars, and Caramel French Toast. Butter. Butter. And more butter. But ohhhhhhh so […]

9. […] dinner on Dan’s side? I made cheesy potatoes, sweet potato souffle, apple spice cake and pumpkin bars. More […]