i am . . . a sucker.

So many of you probably remember this guy. For those of you who haven’t heard the story . . . he was a rescue that we found on our farm in Idaho this summer–skinny and limping. Or rather, he found us. I was a sucker then and couldn’t stand the thought of taking him to the animal shelter and risk him getting put to sleep. He was so sweet and how could you resist that face. I thought we’d have more options if we brought him home. (We did check with the local places + checked for a chip to make sure we didn’t take someone’s dog.)

Well, after having him through the summer we decided that we just weren’t dog people, no matter how lovable he is. They take a lot of care and attention and apparently five of us could not deal with that. ;)

So, I finally put an ad in the local classifieds this fall. I had some really great people–outdoors-ee or worked with animals–that would have been perfect for him, but for some reason or another–too big/heavy, currently living with parents that say ‘no’–they just didn’t work out. We even had a cute young couple that actually did take him, but upon taking him out on his first morning walk, they were quickly–and rudely–told that the homeowner’s association didn’t allow rottweilers of any kind and they were going to be fined and they were going to call animal control to get him. Didn’t matter if he was mixed with a lab–his coloring looks rottweiler. This dog wouldn’t hurt a fly. They were heart broken and had to return him.

I have to admit, it kind of felt like we were giving away a family member to some degree.

And during this quest for a new home, there was a cute girl that lived in an apartment–with a smaller dog (a healer mix)–that really liked and wanted him, but when we took him into that small apartment, we just kind of cringed at the thought of him living in that small space. He’s a big dog that has our whole backyard. Luckily, her other dog wasn’t too keen with Otis. Otis was just a big baby and would roll onto the floor as the dog would nip at him like, ‘What? What are you doing?”

On our way home, we started talking about how Otis would probably mellow out if he were indoors with us because really, he just looooves people. He just wants to be with us. He would get soooo excited when we’d go out with him. And, after all, he was still very much a puppy. A rather large puppy with lots of energy.

My thought was, “How did we go from giving him away to talking about letting him come in the house???” lol

So because we couldn’t hook up with the right owner, Otis stayed for a while.

And stayed.

And came in the house when it would rain.

And then it got cold and he started sleeping downstairs in Zach’s room. Because I have a hard time thinking about them being out there in the cold–even if we had him in the garage. I know dogs do it. But that’s tough for me.

And now . . .

. . . he has a name tag.

It’s official.

He’s here to stay.

I am a sucker.

We’re all attached now. I mean, c’mon. He’s always been so lovable (except when he barks or digs holes ;) ). He’s so funny and has so much personality. He prances like a deer when he plays. Of all the dogs that could have ‘found us’, we got pretty lucky. Zach says, “I wouldn’t have cared if we gave him away three months ago.” Not to mention he sees those ASPCA commercials that just would kill him and make  him feel guilty about giving the dog away. lol

It’s true. He’s family now. The cat, however, has another opinion though.

They’ll just have to get used to each other . . .

2017-02-07T18:28:20+00:00 December 15th, 2011|Uncategorized|21 Comments

1. Judy December 15, 2011 at 9:45 am

Oh…lovely story! Otis was meant to live with your family because he had already left his paw prints on your heart (you just didn’t know it).

2. Gilda December 15, 2011 at 10:37 am

I love stories with a happy ending…and this is one!

3. Rhona December 15, 2011 at 10:48 am

That’s such a cute story. He does look a very friendly dog and I love labs so I’m sure he’s got more lab in him ;) He must be so happy to have his name tag and really be part of the family lol! I’m not much better, we have a dog and 4 cats! x

4. {dawn} December 15, 2011 at 12:58 pm

What a cute story!… I love Judy’s comment about “leaving his paw prints on your heart.” We took in a rescue dog several years ago. At the time, I was not crazy about the idea – we already had a dog. But she took to my son (who has Asperger’s) like he was her
    best friend – I just could not turn her away! She’s left her paw prints on my heart! I cannot imagine not having her around!

5. Tanya Ham December 15, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Oh Kerri! :) You made me smile and get some happy tears going! :) I’m such a proud dog mom, and I love when the right dog fit comes along for others who maybe weren’t exactly “dog people,” and they GET IT. You aren’t a sucker, you have a heart! :) And who wouldn’t for that guy!!

I would absolutely LOVE if you’d take a moment and read a blog post of mine from a few weeks ago
    and maybe check out some of my other posts (just search DOGS). I have 3 fur-babies that I adore. We have a king-size bed that we share with them, and vacations aren’t nearly the same without hearing the basset hound snoring all night. :) I’m so happy for you and your family, and especially for Otis!! He will continue to leave paw prints on your hearts for many years!

Thanks for such a wonderful post today! ((hugs))

6. Terri Marchbanks December 15, 2011 at 1:21 pm

OH Kerri, I am so happy that Otis is there to stay…I cannot imagine my life without my Gizmo… Looove him so much and nothing will ever love you more or be more loyal…xoxoxo

7. Beury December 16, 2011 at 6:20 am

I think its wonderful you all are keeping Otis! I have his twin sister (looks just like him and her mom was a yellow lab) Dogs have a way of sneaking into your heart:)

8. ana roat December 16, 2011 at 6:49 am

What a sweet looking dufus!!! Welcome home Otis!!!

• Kerri December 16, 2011 at 8:54 am

Ana, that made me laugh because that’s exactly what we call him….a big dufus. Especially as flops down on the floor, rolls over and does his funny dog grunting noises to get you to rub his belly.

Tanya, that’s an amazing post! Thanks for sharing that. :)

And thanks everyone for the doggy support. I’ll be sure to update y’all as time goes on.

9. Jennifer December 16, 2011 at 8:57 am

Labs are the best dogs ever, a little crazy the first 2 years with springs on their feet, but then they settle down. Maybe Otis needs a brother or sister. I have always kept my Labs in pairs so they aren’t lonely :) they are such social dogs.

10. Kerri December 16, 2011 at 9:58 am

Yeah, baby steps Jennifer. Baby steps. lol

11. Melanie Arrowood December 16, 2011 at 11:17 am

I have always been an animal lover, always a dog person. I am my father’s daugher. However I also know not everyone is. *giggle* that being said, I firmly believe the right one can wiggle it’s way into anyone’s heart :) They may still not be a dog person but they are a THAT dog person. <3 I am glad you guys found each other. You will be amazed at how that bond will grow over the years and how you won't be able to imagine not having Otis with you. Thank you for not taking him to a shelter and for trying to find him a good home. The right home. And thank you for loving him.

12. Tanya Ham December 16, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Well said, Melanie! :)

13. Debra B. December 16, 2011 at 4:38 pm

I love happy endings:)

14. Courtney December 16, 2011 at 4:43 pm

He’s beautiful.

15. Amy A. December 17, 2011 at 8:12 am

I am so happy Otis found his forever family. We too have a rescue dog – a chocolate lab. Just a big baby – he’s my fourth child!

16. Susan Boyles December 17, 2011 at 3:58 pm

So happy to hear that I was afraid to read it. Everything is meant to be with all of you, just had to find the way. I refused to have a dog forever and when our puppy came to make my husband happy, it ended up getting me through my mom passing. Little do we know their purpose for coming to us, but God does.

Have a Merry Christmas

17. Lupita December 19, 2011 at 8:52 am

YAY!!!!! You did the best thing ever!!!!
    Happy dog dance!!!!

18. Karen W December 20, 2011 at 8:30 pm

So glad that you and Otis found each other.

Karen

19. Calli December 22, 2011 at 3:37 pm

I LOVE this. We have always rescued our dogs, and it’s like they know it. And, they always have a way to worm into your hearts. It’s like they appreciate being loved than just the “average” dog. As my husband says, “When I die, I want to come back as a dog in our house.”….as I sit here with my little dachshund on my lap wrapped up in the ‘HEATED” blanket. :)

Yay for Otis!

Oh…ps….I noticed by the Smith’s on Timp Highway, they are opening a new car wash, etc. They have a DOG wash which will be great to bathe my big lab who hates getting in the shower to get bathed! I don’t think it’s quite open yet though.

20. Michelle Liimatainen December 28, 2011 at 8:31 am

I am catching up on my blog reading….I am all teary. What a GREAT story. I am a SUCKER for dogs. I would have taken him!!! He’s so sweet looking and I LOVE Rottweilers….yet I have a Yorkie and a Maltese! lol So happy he found you. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful story! :)