looking back

As I was looking back through many-a old magazine . . . well, mostly the idea books with some being from even farther back–way back, I was just amazed at how much time had passed. It was interesting looking at how things were done ‘back in the day’. A lot of changes to the styles have occurred over the years . . . and we thought we were cool then. ;)

I have been in this business in some fashion for many years . . . maybe close to 13 years now.

It all ‘officially’ started when I won the first Creating Keepsakes’ Hall of Fame contest in 1999. Soon, I was asked to start doing pages for various articles in the magazine. Additionally, I was asked to be on the Provo Craft design team, with Desiree Tanner, who also won HoF that year. That’s basically where I got my start. (And if it weren’t for Desiree + Heather Lancaster, I don’t know that I’d be where I am today…designing shapes like I do. They both told me I could design a Cricut cartridge 5 1/2 years ago…and I did. Forever grateful for that serendipitous moment.)

Those were good times. I think that’s when ‘what scrapbooking is today’ was in its infancy. Scrapbooks, in general, have been around forever and a day.

It’s funny, I keep having this analogy in my head. I recently had a conversation with my family about how our palettes–our tastes–for food, change over time. My mom didn’t cook like ‘a cook.’ There were a few things she made that we all loved, but many things were a la Hamburger Helper or some other kind of quick food. When Dan and I first got married, I just followed my mother’s footsteps. I made ‘stroganoff’ by frying up some hamburger, throwing in a can of cream of mushroom soup, and adding some sour cream. Bam. Done. Now? I’ve moved on to stew meat, still use the cream of mushroom + sour cream, but I let it cook all day in the crockpot, making a world of difference. Okay, so maybe that’s not exactly the best analogy for improved cooking, but it’s one that I could think of that we both made/make. :)

I guess what I’m trying to say is, that now I make a Tetrazzini with a sauce made from scratch, I make–what I consider to be–‘gourmet’ soups, great desserts and dressings and other good fooood. It’s hard for me to even think of using a box of Hamburger Helper–something I haven’t even done for 20+ years. The less ‘premade’ stuff I can use, the better it tastes!

Tastes get better. You grow. You get in a groove. You refine. And I think that’s where we are today in scrapbooking.

Along my scrapbooking journey I have also met so many great people that I now consider as friends. One of them would be Miss Stacy Julian. She and I met because she was on the Provo Craft design team too. There was a group of us that got together for a retreat in Michigan, not too far from Chicago. (Kristina Nicolai-White–Miss Two Peas herself–was there too, by the by. :) )  Just the stories of getting to that retreat alone were priceless. Tornadoes/warnings can cause quite an adventure.

When I was perusing through all my old books I came across Stacy’s very first Simple Scrapbooks book. Before Simple Scrapbooks was ever a magazine. She was actually working on samples for her book while at the retreat. I marveled at the way that girl’s mind worked. Not only was she so innovative with her approach to scrapping, she was so danged funny with her presentation. That girl is a hoot! I was so happy when she and I got to work together on a CK KOTM kit called ‘A Penny For Your Thoughts.’ A brilliant concept!

Anyway, I was wondering why I had hung onto that book. I mean, it’s really old. ;) I hadn’t even remembered how I came by it, it’s been that long since I looked at it. But I opened up the cover and saw a sweet personal note from Stacy. I don’t think it’s a book I just can’t get rid of. It just reminds me of how many amazing people there are in this industry and how fortunate I have been to be a part of it for so long. And Stacy is one amazing girl. Love her.

As I looked back at some of the really old magazines+books, I came across names that are friends, names of people I didn’t know-but who’s styles I’d admired. People that I didn’t know at the time, but have since become friends–like Nichol Magouirk + Heidi Swapp. Some names that I wonder where they are, like Kelly Anderson. Man, I loved her linear style!

There are some books that I just can’t get rid of–even if they are technically ‘out of style’. When I looked at them, just an outpouring of memories came back. I remember looking and just eating up every single page. Loving what so many people had made. Remembering at how many of them I poured over during my QVC days. It’s hard to scrapbook that many pages in a month. It’s hard to be creative when you’re in a crunch. I can even remember doing FIFTY-TWO pages in ONE WEEK! Yeah, that would be the week from ‘h e double hockey sticks.’ :)

Anyway, this trip down memory lane this past week has been pretty amazing. It’s been fun going through all the old stuff. It just reminded me of who I am, how I got here, and all the amazing people that I’ve come to know and love along the way. Including now. All of you readers…my friends. You lift me up with your kind words and funny comments. Your support for keeping a dog. You make me smile. You make me happy.

I am truly blessed.

Thanks for humoring me by letting take this trip down memory lane with you. In return–and because I like to keep this blog visual, I’ll humor you with one of my very first pages. I was ‘queen of the scene’ back in the day. ;)

2017-02-07T18:28:18+00:00 January 12th, 2012|Uncategorized|13 Comments

1. {dawn} January 12, 2012 at 11:39 am

Heh, I like your early pages! It is evident you had a creative way with arranging letters even back then! I like that scene, though…and I love the way you cut out one of the photos to make them part of the scene! So…..much better than MY early pages! :)

2. Rhadonda January 12, 2012 at 11:43 am

So true all you wrote. I too have been purging (ran across the same Stacy book). It is amazing to see things i had from over 9 years ago, a long time for me. For sake of space i am saying goodbye to these things and going to depend on internet for inspiration. If that ever goes down i am in trouble! I too wish i could see pages from people today like Kristy Banks, loved her stuff. I guess when you see people’s families and kids for all those years you just wondered how they all grew up and what life has brought them. Thanks for the trip down the long memory lane! You are still “queen of the scene” in my book.

3. Lara Read January 12, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Wow! Love it. That brought back so many memories. I was a subscriber to CK from the beginning. Even got a page published in one of the early issues. I’ve always wondered why Lisa B got out of the business while Becky and Stacy have progressed and worked into other parts of the business. I met Lisa a few times, she is a great person and creative Genius. She was even my son’s room mom the day 9-11 occurred. She went to the school that day had had each kid write about it. I’m so thankful for that SB page.

Thanks Kerri for providing us with fresher “ingredients” for our SB’s and other crafting projects!

4. Vicki J January 12, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Instead of looking at the silouette cutout of the photo and thinking wow what an older page– think about what a trend setter you really are! Journaling around the edge of those photos.. very TODAY– Those letters– could be cut from a die cut machine ??? and the trees same thing! Se you were just ahead of the time!! And we appreciate your creative genius..

I have been in the hobby to remember the days before our favorite idols were “famous” and I agree our hobby has some of the best folks out there.

5. Issy Scotland January 12, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Oh Happy Days, eh Kerri!. Don’t Zach and Kass look so YOUNG! and SOOOO Cute! I think it’s great to look back at our old pages and I do so with awe…It’s great to have the new super-duper gismos now…our silhouettes, all the cool punches and embossing machines, the great textured papers (OH Yeah! my new super-duper Cameo arrived today..I’m SO Excited! LOL!)…but we all used our imaginations and were really resourceful back then.. so well done all! Don’t we all just ROCK! And YOU, Missy…There’s just NO Hiding Place for TALENT! Love from Scotland xoxo

6. Terri Marchbanks January 12, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Oh Yea “Miss. Queen of the Scene” You definitely still are… Thanks so much for the walk down memory lane we all have those first pages altho mine are not EEEEEEEEVVVVENNNN in that league…lol I too have been scrapbooking for at least 12 or 13 years and have all those old magazines but cannot bear to get rid of them I kringe to hear yall talk about purging lol…I am evolving with my scrapbooking Thanks to my
    HERO’S You, Nichol magouirk, Jennifer McGuire,
    Lori Whitlock,just to name a few and tho I’ve never met any of you I feel as tho I know you all .I have learned so much from all of you and am Oh so Proud to call you Friends!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Many Hugs My Friend xo
    ps mabe one day I will try and figure out how to have a blog you just can’t teach old timers too many tricks lol

7. kat-in-texas January 12, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Your THEN page is better than my NOW page!!! ;)

8. Gina January 12, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Thanks for the trip down memory lane…I have an early page just like this!!! Fun!!

9. Jane January 13, 2012 at 8:31 am

LOL…I can’t stand to look at my old pages! The torn paper, the velum!!! Oh my.

10. Lisa January 14, 2012 at 9:10 am

I loved this post. It is amazing how much has changed and stayed the same. I loved this page. Great post!

11. Cathy January 14, 2012 at 10:43 am

I have been subscribing to CK since the beginning and remember most of these designers. I love following Lisa, you, Kristy Banks and Marci Leshman (?) on QVC. That was such a fun time with great inspiration and products. It’s funny how some of the earlier pages were so labor intensive but beautiful. I think the trend is simpler but sophiticated now. I love that. But then again, I am sure I will probably love the next trend around the corner. Thanks for trip down memory lane. I also love to look at old books/magazines every once in a while. It definitely shows how much things have changed.

12. cindy January 14, 2012 at 11:52 am

Wow, this brings back memories, but “back in the day” there were not a lot of background papers and letters like today. I think you did an awesome job making your own background and it shows your personal style of lettering…..LOVE IT!
    The thing I truly hate about my first scrapbook (of my oldest son) is the way I cut up the photos……..it just makes me sick now to think of all the background elements I cut out. Oh yeah, I did a no-no and used the original photos since I had SO many photos to scrap!

13. Ruth G January 15, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Awesome! I know for me what takes so long “cleaning up” is all the thoughts that rush back about what you’ve just unearthed! It would certainly go much faster if there was no emotional attachment!
    (side note: I’ve scrapped Shoshone Falls, too, from when we went to visit my mom and her hubby who live in Wendell, near Twin Falls! Thanks for sharing those early scrapbook days. I know some people find the need to “rescrap”, but I’m one who embraces growth and so would hate to erase the proof that my hobby has become more refined over time. Although, mine still looks more like earlier scrapbooks of all you who’ve spent many more hours refining their skills (52 pages in a week? that’s like a page ever hour of a normal workweek plus a dozen overtime hours!!!) Anyway, thanks for sharing! You’ve renewed my dedication to scrap more so I can improve more!