things change.

The background.

When I started my little business, I made sure I wasn’t breaking any rules. And even with the latest Studio License Agreement, from how I–and others I know–understand it to be, is that it’s you aren’t allowed to create your art file in the program and sell it. Since I created my art in Illustrator, this did not seem to be an issue.

Well, it’s two years later and Silhouette has informed me that third-party people are not allowed to sell Studio files according to the license agreement. Their position is that it’s any .STUDIO file made, regardless of its creation origin.

What does this mean for all my peeps?

It means, you can still purchase DXF and SVG files from me (and other sources) and still use them in Studio. It means that you can import DXF files singly into your Library with the standard Studio and you can import singly or drag+drop multiple DXF or SVG files into your Library using the Designer Edition.

It’s not as if this change inhibits other artists from making wonderful art for people to use with their Silhouette. You can still access all the amazingness out there. You just can’t get it in the form of a .STUDIO file.

What changes will you see here at KBS?

Well, to comply with their request, I will be going through and removing all Studio files from my kits. It will take a little time, but will be done within the next week. There will still be all the other file formats, which can still be used in Silhouette. And, just so you know, I did ask for ‘written consent’ per the license agreement, but to no avail.

I will continue to produce amazing art to use with your little nugget of cutting goodness and I will continue on having a fabulous design team to show it all off. You will always be able to find art to work with your Silhouette–or any of your cutting machines–right here on kerribradford.com. I will also continue creating YouTube videos and classes to share all the wonderfulness that is Silhouette. The only thing really changing here is the lack of .STUDIO files in the kits. You’ll just have to use the DXF or SVG (with Designer Edition) files instead.

What do I think about this?

Truth be told, I think it’s silly because it’s not like you can’t still use art from outside sources. With that being said though, I love my little machine. And I want my experience and your experience using Silhouette to be a happy and positive one. I will continue to be a huge supporter of this machine because it really is the best thing out there. I love it. Couldn’t craft without it–don’t wanna either. And their customer support is the best there is.

I’m hoping that one day they will ‘see the light’ and change their mind. I would like to see a change so that everyone can be truly 100% happy with their machine and the versatility that it has to offer. Versatility, after all, is why many people changed from Cricut to Silhouette, right? Versatility is what this machine is all about. And I like being a versatile kind-of gal. :)

So, if you were thinking of getting a kit and want to make sure you get it with the Studio files before they are removed, better get ’em now. :) But even if you don’t get them now, you can still use any kit available here in your Studio program by using the DXF and SVG files.

Thanks for all your continued support!
Love you guys!
xo
k

2012-08-10T12:17:05+00:00 August 10th, 2012|Uncategorized|57 Comments

1. lindsay August 10, 2012 at 12:24 pm

they should sell your designs on their site. the ones that are being posted are kind of lame lately.

• Kerri August 10, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Hey Lindsay, I appreciate your comment. It’s always an option generally speaking, but a lot of what I do isn’t always conducive to the way they add art to their store….like with my This+That kits. And I kind of like having all my art in one location too. :)

2. Judy August 10, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Can I ask a “technical” question? I have an original (dinosaur) machine. Going forward, which file format will work for me? Oh, and I’m still a believer!

• Kerri August 10, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Hey Judy! It’s not the machine that makes that decision, it’s the software. So as long as you are using the latest and greatest in Studio software, you are good to go with any of the Silhouette machines. :)

3. Beth August 10, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Wow. I wonder how they’re gonna find all the people who are doing this. Of course, since you are so “high profile” in our crafting world, you would be one of the first to hear from them. But I know I’ve seen TONS of people on the internet selling .STUDIO files.

That being said, this doesn’t really affect me too much since I have the Designer Edition software. I’ll still be a HUGE fan of yours! Love you right back!

(Oh, and I finished the School kit already! Taking it over to my MIL tonight! Love it! Thanks again!)

4. Karen Severeide August 10, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Ahhh Shoot! Thanks for taking the high road Kerri and continuing what you do. It’s appreciated!

5. Marilyn Bronson August 10, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Wow, shades of Provo Craft and SCAL! I know to use SVG files you have to have the Designer edition of Studio. Can you use DXF files the same way as GSD by just dragging and dropping without the Designer edition? I hope they realize how many people, me included, bought the Silhouette because of your designs.

• Kerri August 10, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Hey Marilyn! Yep, you can use DXF just like you did the Studio file. The only difference is that you have to Import them to your library one by one.

6. CarolineD August 10, 2012 at 1:22 pm

You’re so gracious about things. Maybe too gracious. :P
    Frankly, they’re sort of short sighted on this. I’m not going to buy more from them just because they’ve decided to add a step or two into the process of buying from you. It was already easier and less expensive to buy from them, but I’m not buying ease, I’m buying shapes. And yours rock. So no worries, Kerri!

7. Cari August 10, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Such a shame, Kerri. I’m glad that you will still do what you do, though! I LOVE your files and won’t have a problem importing them however you make them available!

8. Lorraine M. August 10, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Wow. You’d think they’d have more important things to bother themselves with. The versatility of the Sil is exactly why I bought it. Your designs will continue to be the first ones on my wish list. Thanks for allowing that to happen.

9. Wendy Hewings August 10, 2012 at 1:37 pm

I think it is so mean of them, thought Provo craft were nasty when they stooped us using SVG files, Silhouette seems to be following in their footsteps.
    Not a good move on their part I think, they might lose customers

10. Gina Lindsey August 10, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Hi Kerri- Sad to hear Sil is doing this to you, TO US!.
    Hope one day they can really be VERSATILE!

Hugs,

11. Jane Saxton August 10, 2012 at 1:41 pm

I am kind of cranky about this – I love your work! The extra steps don’t bother me so much – it’s the principle of exclusion.

12. Darlene August 10, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Boo on them. They suck right now in my book. I’ve always loved them but this just is not right.

Can you post a tutorial for those of us whose converting skills are lacking? Regardless I will go to the extra trouble if there is any. I love your work.

Going to send them an email. . they need to know that they are sounding greedy like Provo right now.

13. Debbie August 10, 2012 at 2:28 pm

I’m frankly disappointed in Silhouette for this. Surely they understand that ProvoCraft has driven off crafters in droves with this kind of behavior. I love my Silhouette SD as well as my Cameo – and I love your designs. But my regard for Silhouette as a company that respects and responds to the needs of the crafting community has taken a pretty big hit today.

14. Dolly/scrapthat August 10, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Well I think it should be obvious to Silhouette that this was going to go over like a lead balloon to it’s customers.
    Personally I love your files, I find them highly versatile. I bought them before I had Studio and I will keep buying them! I’m so GLAD that it didn’t discourage you from making your files and I’m pretty darn sure that it won’t discourage your customer base because we love your stuff girl!
    :D

15. TeriBeri August 10, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Good thing I upgraded to the Designer Edition of SIL. Kerri your designs are awesome (and frankly, better than the designs some of their own designers come up with). No matter WHAT happens, I will still purchase your designs :)

Big hugs to you girlie!!
    T

16. Rhadonda August 10, 2012 at 2:56 pm

So for my thick head let me see if i understand. From now on i either need to get the Designer Edition or i can transfer DXF files one at a time into my silhouette library? I have a Cameo. So frustrating i am sure, at least it aggravates me for me and for you. My subscription expires with them this month so this sealed the coffin on renewing. I would rather buy just your stuff anyway because YOU. ARE. AMAZING.

17. Sue FitzGerald August 10, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Personally I think they should be thanking you for the designs you make. It’s because of you and your design team that the silhouette is such a popular little tool. I have friends on fb craft pages who have said the whole reason they have gone out and purchased theirs is because of what Nichol, Laura etc have done with it. I will continue to purchase your gorgeous designs whatever format ( and thank goodness I updated recently :-)
    Xx

18. Colleen Umlah August 10, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Kerri, you have been one of the Silhouette’s greatest champions. I bought a Silhouette because I trusted your guidance. (I already had 2 Cricuts – yes, I know, conspicuous consumption!) :) But you know we will be here for you through it all because we love your work.

Colleen

19. Amy O August 10, 2012 at 3:16 pm

That’s unfortunate. Versatility is exactly the reason I picked the Silhouette. Shame on them.

20. Beth R. August 10, 2012 at 5:05 pm

I posted this to FB:
    I have to admit this has my knickers in a knot. I can honestly say that I originally bought my first silhouette because of Nichol. Then you started selling your designs and I started collecting them, a TON of them. Finally upgraded to my Cameo less than 2 weeks ago and love it. Didnt buy much during the birthday sale last week, because “kerri’s kits aren’t going anywhere” and I had just bought my cameo, $$$ was tight. This feels a little bit like when big bad Provo Craft went after the little guy because of the MTC and SCAL software. Feels a bit greedy on Sil’s part to me. Shame on them. Your kits are so much more my style and if I had to choose between the 2 , yours would win out , not even close. I have design studio, so I guess I will be all right. I still dont like it.
    P.S. I still have my original cricut bug and a Cricut Expressions still in the box, never used. Can’t tell you when I last bought a cartridge. Don’t see a reason to ever buy one and will be selling my Expression. Keeping the bug for the grand-daughter ( she will NOT be touching my Cameo) but PC left a bad taste in my mouth with thier David vs. Goliath lawsuit and I really hope Sil is not following their lead.
    P.S.S. Sil should realize how much FREE advertisement you and your little store / design team generated for them. I would love to know how many of us bought thier machine as a direct result of your amazing creations. You would think they would encourage you to create the designs that would in turn sell us on thier machine ! Greed is an ugly thing.

21. Rhoda Smith August 10, 2012 at 6:58 pm

I just went to their Facebook page & they must have deleted your comment because I couldn’t find it.

22. krafting kelly August 10, 2012 at 7:03 pm

Kerri, you’re being very gracious about this. I appreciate that you’re stating the facts and hoping for the best instead of complaining. Silhouette America is getting bigger, which is good for finding products and sharing the joy of the Silhouette with the world, but I wish that didn’t mean the company would be making unpleasant decisions like this and the new commercial license fees. Thanks for letting us know and for taking the high road. A lot of designers will be surprised and disappointed by this.

23. Rhoda August 10, 2012 at 7:12 pm

Here’s my comment that I left: Ia it true that third-party people are not allowed to sell Studio files according to the license agreement. Your position is that it’s any .STUDIO file made, regardless of its creation origin. If that’s the case I feel bad for the digital designers who are branching out to their digital customers who bought Silhouette SD or Cameo so they could go hybrid. Some designers are fulfilling a need for cutting machine files. I know that there are other file options to use.
    And it would be so nice if we could save our Silhouette Designer files in svg format.”

24. Stephanie Hart August 10, 2012 at 7:13 pm

I’m very disapointed to hear this…your designs were the whole reason why I ditched my Cricut and bought the Cameo in the first place!

I’m also going to send them an email with my concerns, these changes are all similar to what happened with Provo….greed is indeed an ugly thing!

25. Terri Marchbanks August 10, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Oh my dear Kerri you are so sweet about everything always…Does not effect me at all what they do I would buy your designs if they were sold on the moon…We love you…hugs my friend

26. Lady Fair August 10, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Kerri, you are one of the reasons I bought the Cameo! Does Silhouette not get that you’ve helped them sell hundreds of Cameos? Did PC purchase Silhouette? Why the need to squeeze the little guy, the designers? If this is the path they’re going down, they’re no better than PC and I may have to switch to yet another die cutting machine or give up the hobby altogether (which would make my hubby very happy). Hopefully, they’ll see a backlash from their actions and reverse their decision. Keep doing what you’re doing and we’ll keep supporting you.

27. Ellen Ornstein August 10, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Kerri,
    This seems very short-sighted and small minded of Provo craft. Your designs were the reason I bought my cameo and not another machine. The software is fabulous and being able to encorporate your designs into it is a major plus. I think this is an absurd policy and hopefully they will change their minds. I certainly will continue to buy and use your products.

28. Ruth G August 10, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Gracious as always. You’re one classy lady, Kerri! I don’t know many who could keep the positive and cooperative attitude that you are keeping!

29. Stacey August 11, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Very disappointing! Thanks for the heads up, I bought a few things earlier today :)

30. Pam August 11, 2012 at 4:20 pm

That’s okay, Kerri, I will still purchase designs and kits from you. You have terrific ideas and I absolutely love your design team members. The Silhouette blog plunged downhill after you left, but that is their loss. We still have you on your blog! I too still love my Silhouette Cameo and will continue to use it and your art for many, many years. :)

31. Sue Kment August 11, 2012 at 5:49 pm

I do not have a problem with DXF or SVG files at all-so I’m good, but their attitude feels a wee bit “Stampin Up/Cricut-ish” to me. The whole thing seems like a bad move to me as you are one of their best ambassador’s! (Yes, I ditched my Cricut after seeing the Cameo) I have purchased your silhouette classes, but still have not gotten past working summer fruit harvest to watch them all. Soon I hope, as I SOOO love my machine.

Thanks for the update!

32. Leanne August 11, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Does anyone else see where this is heading? Did Silhouette not learn any lesson from ProvoCraft?

Anyway, so the dxf file works exactly like a studio file in terms of cutting? Showing up in my library? The only difference is importing?

33. Mary August 11, 2012 at 11:10 pm

I went to your site THREE times during birthday week…meticulously picked out what I wanted to order…and THREE times, I got distracted and didn’t place the order. Ggggrrrr. So I have the Designer edition, and I’m guessing I’ll be okay, but that really ticks me off for you. But I will keep ordering your stuff. I have never bought from Silhouette. I got the $10 gift card that I will eventually use up…but their stuff just does not compare.

I am absolutely one of the ones that stalks you and Nichol, and you are the reason I got the Cameo (she’s the reason I got a realllly nice printer…and the Cameo)

Just keep doing what you do. You make so many people HAPPY :)

34. Jann August 11, 2012 at 11:27 pm

Okay, so I’m wondering…would it be easier for you to become a designer for Silhouette with your .studio files AND continue your site here? I know of other artists who do this–Lori Whitlock and Patricia Zapata (alittlehut-dot-com) their files are in STUDIO format that can be purchased directly from the Silhouette store, and on their own websites.

Is this even an option for you?

35. Cynthia Larson August 11, 2012 at 11:54 pm

WOW! I do not like this one bit. I thought I got away from this when I got my Silhouette. This is just like the Cricut. This does not make me want to buy more shapes from their store. It just makes me angry. Wish I could afford to buy all your kits right now but thats not possible and cannot afford to my the designer addition right now either. But on a different note, I think you explained everything very well and you were very nice about it. I really like that about you!!!

36. Lisa N. August 12, 2012 at 10:52 am

Hi, Kerri,

Thanks so much for letting us know about this. Is the license agreement you are talking about the one you can find under the Help tab in Silhouette Studio? I’m not great at legal speak, but I can’t find where it says this. Is there any way you can tell me where to find this in the license agreement? I’m just curious to read it. If you can, please e-mail me at lnorris21 at hotmail dot com. Thanks so much! Oh, and your designs ROCK!!!

Lisa

37. Nicole Keller August 12, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Do you have the name of a contact at Silhouette that we can send an email to in protest?

38. Pam August 12, 2012 at 3:41 pm

You (and Ali Edwards) are why I love my Silhouette so much! I hardly was using it until I discovered you! I want a Cameo now! I hope they realize how much business you have thrown their way. I am soooo glad you are still going to design! I love your work!! Thank you!!

39. Melanie August 12, 2012 at 5:42 pm

So sorry to hear about this new wrinkle in things. You are such a supporter of silhouette and I hope they realize how much more business you bring there way by being independent. And of course by having wonderful designs. As always, I will continue to purchase your designs because they are the best.

40. Rhoda August 12, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Well it appears that my fb commented was deleted too because it’s not showing up on their site either.

41. ansie terblanche August 13, 2012 at 4:54 am

Thanks for sharing!

42. Diana August 13, 2012 at 4:54 am

Thanks for letting us know the situation. Love your designs and wouldn’t have bought the Cameo except for you and your classes, learnt so much and you made things so simple. Will continue to support you. I hated how Provocraft acted, that was the reason I ditched them after finding you.

43. Anon August 13, 2012 at 10:05 am

(eta: the wording in the license agreement has just been changed this week.)

Can they retroactively change their tou if you purchased it under the old tou?

I am so angry right now. I will NEVER subscribe to their designs again.

44. Cori in WA August 13, 2012 at 10:22 am

You are amazing! Your positive spirit and attitude shine through and you are an inspiration to many. Go Kerri!!!!

45. anonymous August 13, 2012 at 4:12 pm

This is like Adobe saying digital designers can’t sell kits made with Photoshop software. CRAZY! And I highly doubt they’d win if they tried to sue you. :(

46. Rob from ScrappyDew August 14, 2012 at 10:45 am

It’s really sad that they don’t allow STUDIO files to be created. Their rebuttal was if the customer wants to use your kit with their machine they can always upgrade to the pro version of the software (That’s what they actually told me in an email). Seems they want the extra $50

If you’re thinking about becoming apart of their designer team where you supply them with the kit – their royalty fees are crazy. They give you the designer 25% of the sale. And they come up with the price not you. I can say this as an app developer for iphone that apple only takes 30 cents for every dollar. To me that’s more reasonable.

47. Carolyn Smith August 14, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Smells of Provo Craft and the ‘stunt’ they pulled a year or so ago…. Oh well, I will still use Studio Designing Edition only for print & cut

48. Maria Herrera August 15, 2012 at 8:33 pm

I have to go to Church on Sundays to keep myself in control as you do. You are such a classy lady. And I am another of your students who bought the Cameo because of your class and designs. It is sad that big companies are making such tragic mistakes in their business decisions. I am starting to see Cricut Cartridge prices being cut because more and more people have gone to the Cameo. We are part of a cutting machine family out here and I really wouldn’t be surprised if we moved from the Cameo to another machine. But like you I really love my Cameo and I will continue to take advantage of their free files until they stop giving them away. I will not pay for them though. I actually used their $10 gift card plus the JessicaSprague special to reduce the cost of my designer software. So thank you for continuing to support my cutting habit! :-)

49. Joan August 15, 2012 at 9:09 pm

I think Silhouette is crazy!! The only reason that I even own a Silhouette was is because I saw your designs on Nichol Magouirk’s blog and I had to have one!! I have subsequently bought nearly every design you sell and many designs on their website as well!! I hope they are not getting greedy like the Provo Craft folks (I’m boycotting them). Like they’re not going to make money on the consumables (mats, blades)? Shame on you, Silhouette!

Excuse the rant…

50. Mendi August 16, 2012 at 1:44 am

Oh, what a bummer. I think it’s so silly. Just because I buy from you doesn’t mean I’m not going to continue my subscription through them–They’re still going to profit off of most people the same. Hopefully this doesn’t come out wrong because I love your stuff so much, but I don’t see you as competition to them. I love Lori Whitlock too, but in her case it doesn’t pay for me to buy her shapes outside of the Silhouette store because I can get them for cheaper through my subscription. With you that’s not the case so I am happy to buy them here in addition to what I buy there. I think most people would say they have room in their hearts for both options. Anyway, it’s a dumb move on their part considering it’s not really going to stop us from using outside designs if there’s something that we want that they don’t offer. I hope they change their minds back soon. Don’t let them get you down–We love ya! :)

51. Roberta August 16, 2012 at 2:00 pm

We are all happy we can still use your designs in other formats! However, I had hoped that Silhouette would learn from the anger generated by the SureCutsalot and Make the cut restrictions and control by Cricut. Still love the Silhouette and love how your designs look when I cut them. You just keep doing your thing, you’re awesome!

52. […] the posts about the changes regarding .STUDIO files being removed from kits sold, please read THIS post and THIS […]

53. Rae August 25, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Copied below is an email response I received after emailing for info on selling on Silhouettes online store and also asking if I can sell on other sites….pretty clear -no one can sell .studio files except them! COPIED QUOTE:

“You can submit a .studio file but we prefer an svg file. There are many reasons but we prefer svg files that have been designed in a drawing program such as Adobe Illustrator, but we will accept .studio files. Please be sure to include thumbnails in your portfolio with your cut files.
    You are allowed to sell on other sites, you are not allowed to sell or distribute .studio files anywhere. But you can sell svg files or any other file type besides .studio. According to the software agreement no one is allowed to sell or distribute .studio files.
    Let us know if you have any other questions.
    Silhouette Design Team”

54. Dawn Keckley December 25, 2012 at 9:04 pm

I am peeved about this. Do they realize that YOU and your creations (and seeing how Nichol Magouirk uses them) prompted me to buy one? Idiotic.