things change, part deux

As expected, I’ve been receiving many questions (and support, thank you!) about this whole new way of  third-party Silhouette life. So I thought it might be best to address them in a Q&A form since many questions are the same. If I get more commonly asked questions, I will add them here to this post so that we can keep all of them in the same place. I will let you know via Facebook if the post has been updated, so you may want to make sure you’ve ‘Liked’ my page–as well as join the RSS feed for the blog (link at the right)–so that you can keep apprised of all the goings-ons.

Okey dokey. Here we go. :)

Q |  What is the difference between SVG, DXF and STUDIO?

A |  SVG stands for Scalable Vector Graphics and is kind of a universal file format for drawing programs, like Adobe Illustrator and Inkscape. DXF stands for Drawing Exchange Format and is often used with programs like AutoCAD. DXF and SVG can be created by many programs. The beauty of an SVG file is that you can often use them with other cutters, so once you buy an SVG, it’s pretty much usable no matter what machine you cut with as long as they accept them. STUDIO is the file format made by Silhouette Studio and cannot be created anywhere else and cannot be used anywhere else.

Q |  Can I still use the Studio files I’ve already purchased from you or other third-party sources?

A |  Yes. They still work with the Studio program like as if you created your own Silhouette Studio file and saved it. Once it’s in your library, it stays there.

Q |  Does the elimination of Studio files affect the older machines, just the Cameo, or all of them?

A  |  Since the machines all get their information from one source–Silhouette Studio–it doesn’t matter what machine you have. It only matters what version of the software you have. Some of the very first versions of the software did not allow DXF.

Q |  I have the regular Studio software, how does this affect me?

A |  People that use the free software obtained via CD after purchasing or via downloading from the Silhouette website can only use the DXF format. You can open them just like any Studio file as well as  import them into your My Library. However, you can only bring them into your library one at a time using Import to My Library.

Q |  Do I need to buy the Designer Edition?

A |  No. You don’t need to. You can use the DXF files in the regular software–just one a time.

Q |  I have the Designer Edition, how does this affect me?

A |  People that have purchased the Designer Edition software from Silhouette can use either the DXF or the SVG file formats–more than likely you’d choose the SVG–it often looks the prettiest. ;) Both file formats can be added individually to your My Library by opening them or Importing them. Additionally, you can use the drag+drop method from your list of files and place multiple files into the My Library at one time.

Q |  If I purchase the Designer Edition, what kind of learning curve is there?

A |  The beauty of the Designer Edition is that it works just like the regular Studio version, but you get to have more things you can do with it–like SVGs, for example. So, if you know Studio, you already know DE. If you ever want to venture into more of the wonderful things that DE has to offer, then it’s there for when you are ready! And oh boy, there are some fun things to do in there!

Q |  Have you considered being a Contributing Artist and selling your Studio files through Silhouette?

A |  Silhouette has presented that as an option. However, because I worked for Silhouette at one time and know the ins-and-outs of the ‘behind the scenes’, I don’t find it to be conducive to how I prefer to share my art. For example, there is no way I could have done any This+That kits or any of those mixed media kits like I’ve done. I also prefer having all my art and support in one location–a ‘one stop shop’ for all, as it were. I won’t ever say ‘never’, but right now, it works best for me this way.

Here is a video that shows how to bring in DXF into the standard Silhouette Studio and how to bring DXF+SVG files into the Designer Edition.

I do have one note to add. With DXF there’s something that needs to be done in the Illustrator creation process in order to have it come into Studio. Most of my files were made the correct way, but I know there are some that may have slipped through–some in the very beginning and some after I started using SVG files to import.  So if you happen to be testing the DXF with some of the older freebies or kits out there and your file is blank, never fear, those will be corrected this week. And if you encounter one  that’s blank, you can shoot me an email and I can be sure to make sure it gets changed.

2017-02-07T18:27:55+00:00August 13th, 2012|Uncategorized|14 Comments

1. Rae Carr August 13, 2012 at 7:44 pm

I am stunned by this event. Did they give you a date to have all the studio files removed? As a card designed who sells on a multi-vendor site, this will impact me greatly. I am not happy with selling svg files because I have found that they open differently in different software. Not a good thing for customers. Sometimes the cut files are set to not cut, sometimes the dash lines are not there, and sometimes it is totally a different size. I have experimented in SD, Funtimes Scrapbooking and Make the Cut software. Very frustrating!

2. Judy R August 14, 2012 at 12:01 pm

I’m so confused. Do I want .dxf files or .svg files. I did not save any of those .extensions. I only saved the studio files and now regret that I didn’t save ’em all!

• Kerri August 14, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Hey Judy! All the Studio files you have will still work. You don’t need to have either the DXF or the SVG with things you have previously bought from me. It’s only going forward that you’ll be using DXF/SVG. Hope that helps. :)

3. Angela Restad August 15, 2012 at 8:45 pm

So I have a question about .GSD, can you still create GSD and use them with Silhouette?

4. Beth R August 17, 2012 at 5:05 am

Kerri,
    I have some files with a .GSD ext ( from you ) and apparently I have never moved them over into my library. I found them in my downloads and when I select it and click it opens in my OLD craft robo software ( I have not removed it, because I didnt know if I could/should ???) so I have 3 questions….
    1. Do these .GSD files work in Studio?
    2. Do I just drag & drop into library? one each or multiples?
    3. Should I / can I remove Craft robo without screwing up studio?
    Thank you for your insight.
    Even though I have DE on my Cameo I am scrambling to get your kits in the .studio version.
    Can you tell I hate change?

• Kerri August 18, 2012 at 11:14 am

Hey Beth! GSD was the file format from the old software, but they work just the same in Studio–drag and drop and all that. :) I do believe you can remove the Robo Master software without messing anything up.

5. […] about the changes regarding .STUDIO files being removed from kits sold, please read THIS post and THIS […]

6. Ellen Bornstein August 23, 2012 at 7:37 am

Kerri,
    Letteringdelights.com creates SVG files. I wonder if they will be limited now too?
    Ellen

7. Wendy August 25, 2012 at 6:40 am

Hi Kerri

I am really new to your wonderful site and my silhouette is actually on route to me now. Because I am so unfamiliar with all this process but excited at the same time, could you tell me where I could find resources on how to use all this new formatting and the silhouette software so I can sooner use all your fabulous designs that I have been perusing through. Can’t wait to start but am feeling really inexperienced at this point.

Thanks from your Canadian fan.

8. Erin S April 4, 2013 at 9:47 am

I am new to silhouette. I do have the designer edition. I found this post through a search on google on how to import multiple files. I have not been able to import but one file at a time from the beginning. It also will not let me drag and drop files into my library so you can imagine my frustration when I see tutorial after tutorial giving these instructions. I don’t know if it is because of the particular version I am using and the drag and drop feature was removed when I started using SSDE or if it has to do with my operating system being windows 8. All I know is it is SUCH a pain in the you-know-what to have to import one stinking file at a time! It makes you wonder if they did this to discourage purchasing designs from other people instead of them. I don’t know, but I am really hoping you have an answer for me on how I can get mine to import more than one at a time. I spend more time importing than creating!

:::crossing my fingers you can help me:::::::::::::

Erin

• Kerri April 4, 2013 at 10:20 am

Hey Erin! I replied to you via email. :)

9. r3druby September 19, 2013 at 9:54 am

Hi Kerri, greetings from Indonesia. I try to import the DFX file just as you shown in the tutorial but It keep saying that the file is not supported. I’m using the standard edition. Do you know any solution? thx.

10. Janet Packer October 21, 2013 at 3:42 am

Hello,
    If I open up an SVG in SIL software do I get a better cut if I choose ‘cut’ or ‘cut edge’, or does it make no difference?
    Thanks, J

• Kerri October 21, 2013 at 6:57 am

Just to make sure, you do need the Designer Edition for SVGs. And then the difference between Cut or Cut Edge is say you have a stencil-looking flower, lots of petals with open spaces. If you choose Cut, it will add cut lines to every part of that. If you choose Cut Edge, it will only cut the outer line, nothing inside.

Hope tha that helps. :)