weekend recap

Well, this weekend had a few unexpected surprises.

It started off with Dan getting this mostly finished . . . except for the hearth because he didn’t have enough product.

He smears this stone product on over the brick of the old fireplace and former product that he did several years ago and then forms it into ‘stones’ like you see here.  The mantle is stone as well, but is precast into a foam mold and then we just laid it on top of the old brick. The mantle is kind of L-shaped to go over the top.

We’ve been wanting to put our tv on top of the mantle, but the former one we had was too high–the tv almost touched the ceiling. So before we had company come in June we decided to have Dan’s friend make us the mantle, but we didn’t get it for like a month later . . . during the time when company came the second time in July. :) Now the tv is about ten inches lower. Much better.

It’s soooo nice to not have the tv blaring into my ear in my office like it’s been for the past few months–the back faced me. And, now I can see the tv again. It’s the little things in life that make ya happy. lol

So it was really nice to see it all come together. Now we just need to do paint and get new carpet and figure out how to take care of all the wires. Getting excited to see this all come together.

So once we got the tv up where it was always intended when we bought it (at Christmas time), we had ourselves a bit of fun watching movies and such. Why does the location make it seem more like a theater? lol And one of Dan’s favorite things to do on Friday or Saturday nights is to listen to different types of artists on Pandora or by watching YouTube videos on his itty bitty iPod. So, we decided to introduce him to the internet tv so he could see it big and so that we could all hear it too.

That was kind of fun.

He introduced me to someone I’d never heard of before–and because he did Pandora, that’s how he found him. Technology. Gotta love that it can introduce you to so many other people out there. Anyone a blues fan? Have you ever heard of Eric Bibb?  I’m going to have to download some of his music today. Here’s one of the YouTube videos we watched. He’s got a really nice style! Listen to the words. Love it. My favorite is that singer/songwriter style–especially when it’s just a nice sounding guitar.

And speaking of things coming together, part of this whole ‘downstairs’ makeover is that I want to make my office into more of a studio. I want most of the things closed in cupboards and such so you just don’t see the mess when you are in the tv area. This is what my office currently looks like:

What I want to do is to no longer have that right side there in the photo above. It will open the area between the tv area and my office. Additionally, I want a counter with cabinets along the back wall, which is shown at the left under the window in the first picture. I want to do an eclectic blend of old things. And I just keep thinking how awesome it would be to have a wall of antique doors–like a screen door, a french door, wooden doors…just a wall of them. Don’t know if that will happen, but that’s what I’d love.

So ultimately, all my current desk furniture, is going bye bye. If anyone near Utah Valley is interested in buying it. . . email me. :) It’s really nice because as you can see, look how great the white stacking drawers work under there!

But now, this is the desk I’m shootin’ for.

I found it on this website HERE.

Of course, I ain’t sharin’ it with anyone–it’s mine, all mine!
moowaah ah ah ah ahhhh….

And so speaking of getting ready of things. On a whim we went to The Four Chairs to see what kind of awesome bookcase they might have. We weren’t going to buy anything, just look. And while there is one there that I loooove, we just weren’t out to spend that kind of money that day. However, I did find this little number (ha ha) for my office! And everything was 10% off! Score!

I saw it and just had to have it for my office! I was afraid that if I let it stay there in the land of The Four Chairs that I would miss my opportunity in making it a fabulous edition to my soon-to-be studio. My love of big numbers and alphabets just consumed me with this baby! I’m thinking of buying some crystal knobs fore it too. I think that might look cool.

Oh, and then I needed to pick up one of these cake plates!

That’s just all sorts of fabulous, if you ask me!
love.

And then on Sunday we did our normal going to church routine. In an LDS church we have something similar to a mass, but it’s called Sacrament Meeting. And rather than hearing from a pastor or a father, we hear from members of the congregation–they give a talk for 15 minutes-ish. Most of the time it’s fine, people share good messages and such, sometimes they are a wee bit on the boring side. But not yesterday. We had one couple that spoke and the message and testimonies they shared were just amazing. They mostly spoke on the atonement of Christ. They are a very musical family as well, and he sang a song as part of his talk. This was the song he sang. It was beautiful. Again, just listen to the words.

Truly, one of the best sacrament meetings I’ve been to in a while. So uplifting. And she just called to be in the Primary Presidency with me (I’m the secretary). We’d lost two of our counselors and she’s one of the replacements.

And our ward choir sang too. Loved the words in this one as well. I’m tellin’ ya…it was just an amazing meeting.

I tried to find a version that was similar to how it was sung. It’s close, but of course, in a choir setting, it sounds so much more full. :) I’d hoped there was some Mo-Tab (Mormon Tabernacle Choir) version out there, but there wasn’t one I could find.

Feeling so much better about life–it’s amazing how church can do that.
Feeling like my downstairs is coming together.
Feeling good all around.
Now, no one better spoil it for me. ;)

2017-02-07T18:27:54+00:00August 27th, 2012|Uncategorized|9 Comments

1. Jane August 27, 2012 at 1:08 pm

I was really enjoying your post…listened to the songs then your last line almost made me spit out my tea! No one better spoil it for me!

2. Rhadonda August 27, 2012 at 1:53 pm

LOVE the numbers cabinet. Can’t wait to see your finished space!

3. Beth R August 28, 2012 at 6:12 am

Oh my goodness Miss Kerri !
    That new cabinet with the giant numerals is to.die.for !
    I must own this. Can you please share the name / model number or some other identifying info so I can see if it’s available to ship?
    I am alllll the way in Michigan so it wont even be like I am copying you ( well only a little ) but I do so love it and would smile everytime I looked at it in my “studio” !
    And just as a side note, isnt it funny how we can love something so rustic yet absolutely ADORE that amazing cake plate ?
    One so rustic and one so girly and pretty ….good to see a famous graphic designer/scrapbook celeb has eclectic taste as well :)

• Kerri August 28, 2012 at 8:30 am

Hey Beth!
      They took the price tag that was on it with any information that may have been on it. But on my receipt it says: 385233 Tuscany 9 Drawer. I’m sure if you call them at 801.785.4465 that they could get ya one ordered. I know I took the only one there, but they’d mentioned something about ordering one in our conversation. So it may be that they could order it and ship it directly to your house? You could even tell them I’m the one that bought it and they could look it up under my name. I just got it Saturday.

I love The Four Chairs, especially since they moved to a bigger rustic location–with brick walls and everything. Bigger means more stuff! :) And put it with the brick walls? Awesome ambiance!

And I agree, the number chest is to die for! :)

4. Sharon August 28, 2012 at 7:09 pm

Hi Kerri,
    Your hubby did an excellent job with the fireplace. We just recently moved into a house that needs a fireplace makeover. I have been on the lookout for ideas, and I love the stone look. Would you be able to share with me the products your husband used? I am in Canada so who knows if we can get the same stuff up here. If not, I can always ask my SIL to check for me in the US and ship it up. Thanks for the inspiration.
    Sharon

• Kerri August 28, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Hey Sharon!
      The stuff he used is called ArcuStone. But you have to be a qualified applicator to buy it. It’s not the easiest of processes though. He’s been in this type of business for 25 years and has been to many trainings for specialty plaster and stone–including training in Italy. He said he can buy it and send it to you, if there’s no place to get it up there. There’s also stuff called Tuscan Stone, but he thinks that’s a US place too. Most of these places you have to have a license or be a qualified applicator through them to get it. They are pretty particular about that.

He said if you have pictures of the fireplace he could tell you what might be needed.

Also, this stuff is ground up stone in the form of a plaster-like material–wet and mushy. You ‘smear’ or coat it on like drywall mud and then as it solidifies you can begin to carve it up like you’d like. He even went back through and distressed it more by knocking some of the stone off in places to make it look worn. He says, ‘Tell her that’s your (meaning me) description of the process, not mine.’ lol Just trying to provide a visual. ;)

If you want to email me about it more, you can do that at kerribradford@msn.com and we can talk more. :)

5. Karen S August 28, 2012 at 7:11 pm

Oh, how I would love to give my niece that cake stand! Where can I find it and can I buy it online? BTW – I love your stuff! I look every day to see what’s new!

• Kerri August 28, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Hey Karen!
      They actually had three different sizes there at The Four Chairs and I have the medium one. The smaller one is shorter and has a smaller radius, and the same goes for the bigger one–taller, bigger radius. I don’t see it on their website. You might could try that phone number I mentioned in an earlier comment and see if they can mail you one. The medium one was $40 and the other two were $30/$50 I believe. If they need to know which one, they could probably look that order up by my name too. :)

6. marianne-g August 30, 2012 at 1:40 pm

That chest and cake stand are to die for. Love, love em!