a fabulous weekend!

As many of you know, I am LDS…or Mormon as many people call it.

This weekend we had our General Conference. It’s where the leaders in our church come together and speak on television for 8 hours over the course of four sessions in two days.

Yes, I do ‘church’ for eight hours in two days.
At least I can be in my jammies and under a blanket on a brisk autumn day. :)

I generally try not to get to church-ee on my blog, but religion is such a big part of my life–as I’m sure it is in many of yours, that when I do hear something that I know will speak to everyone, I do like to share it.

Dieter F. Uchtdorf is the Second Counselor in the Presidency of our church and he spoke on Saturday. He’s always one of my favorites to listen to. His talk was about spending meaningful time together and regrets from people, who did not spend meaningful time, as their life is coming to an end.

I promise, it is very uplifting and not too church-ee.
It’s definitely worth listening to.

Additionally, a historic announcement was made regarding the age when missionaries can serve. Up until this weekend, a boy had to be 19 and a girl had to be 21 to serve an LDS mission.

Not anymore.

Now a boy can go at 18 and a girl can go at 19.

wow.

My youngest daughter, who is in her senior year and will be 19 next fall, was very excited and touched by this new announcement. I can imagine that the Missionary Training Centers around the world are going to be inundated with young girls who no longer have to wait about three years after graduation anymore. It gives them a new choice after school.

It’s very exciting.

Anyway, just wanted to share that with you all.
I hope that you will find it as inspiring as I did.

And I leave you with these  quotes from him.

“The more we devote ourselves to the pursuit of holiness and happiness,
the less likely we will be on the path to regrets.”

“We are in charge of our happiness.”

“Sometimes in life we are so focused on the finish line that we fail to find joy in the journey.”

[Do] not wait until we are ready to die before we truly learn to live.”

And I think this one is my most favorite of all. It’s what I do to find happiness every day.
It’s what I do to keep such a positive attitude. I’ve had my share of hard times, and
I can tell you without a doubt, that this is essential in keeping a positive happy life.
Find joy in the simplest of things.

“There’s something in each day to be embraced and cherished. There is something in each day that can bring gratitude and joy if only we will see and appreciate it. …Look less with your eyes and more with your hearts.”

“Let us resolve to be happy regardless of our circumstances.”

I appreciate ya letting me be a little church-ee today. :)

2017-02-07T18:27:51+00:00 October 8th, 2012|Uncategorized|8 Comments

1. {dawn} October 8, 2012 at 9:50 am

Well, that is a very inspirational post! And, I love your selection of quotes, especially the one about finding something in each day to embrace.
    Look forward to starting your class once I get home from work. I did take a sneak peek, and am excited to check out the sites you have mentioned for color palette ideas. I have always loved your color selections – so out-of-the-box from what mine would be! The class looks awesome!!

2. sharin October 8, 2012 at 6:03 pm

I, too, like the quotes you chose. However, after a bit of thought, the quote “Let us resolve to be happy regardless of our circumstances” got me thinking. I don’t think Paul was happy as he was locked up in prison, nor were any of the other martyrs. But I do think they were joyful because there joy was found in the Lord, not their circumstances.

This was a great post; thank you Kerri!

3. Andi Sexton October 8, 2012 at 7:27 pm

Thank you Keri! I love inspirational posts.. this one was beautiful!!!

4. ana roat October 9, 2012 at 7:31 am

Hi Kerri-
    I listened to this via Becky Higgins blog and found it to be very inspiring. Thanks for being a little “church-ee” today…it does our hearts and souls good to remember that there is still good in people and that life is still worthy to be cherished and enjoyed.

No regrets in this neck of the woods…!
    ana

5. Jane October 9, 2012 at 8:11 am

I am not LDS. I was born and raised a Catholic and as most young catholics do we leave the church. Who wants to spend time in church on a Sunday right? Well as I have gotten older as Dieter said I am starting to realize the time I have left and or what I have done or regret.

I tell you if one single priest in my life had a sermon like that I would attend church every Sunday!

I want to save that video so I can show my mom tonight when I go by for a visit. I think she would enjoy it as I did.

Thanks Kerri…I am not a church-ee kind of person but even I was moved by this.

6. Katie Wilkins October 9, 2012 at 10:12 pm

One of the reasons I love your blog is because we share the same faith. I appreciate the example you are to women everywhere. Thank you for sharing this video…you are planting seeds. ;)

• Kerri October 11, 2012 at 8:51 am

I just wanted to say how much I appreciated all your comments. I loved hearing from you all.
      Messages like this just uplift your spirits and make you want to be an even better person.

So Jane? Did your mom like the video too? :)

7. Jannette C October 13, 2012 at 4:28 am

Thank you for sharing that great speech!!! It spokes to me as I can figure to many others also. I was in my church today and we were learning that we need to look for Gods intention behind all the little things and big things, that happens in our day. When we look for it we can see that it means to happen maybe to grow, to be aware of something, maybe to notice wonderful things around us, maybe to learn. Thanks for writing the quotes for us, because they are wonderful reminders! and the big message that I took is, to take action. Have a great and wonderful day!