variation on a theme

So in my previous post, I shared a closer look at the pages that we make in my Silhouette: Just Add Color class. And once I took senior photos of my baby, Jordan (what? she’s graduating???), I knew I wanted to show how to use those same techniques and shapes and color matching on a new page.

I’m not exactly a big fan of reinventing the wheel every time, so this was fun away to modify my wheel–rather than reinvent it. I like the idea of using the same elements over and over, but in a different way or in a different color scheme. Which leads me to today’s page:

[ Shapes from Store | Need Directions? (arrow) / inFORMS (report card)/ Summer Lovin’ (‘hello’) ]
[ Shapes from Class | leafy branch, diagonal strip, ‘ready for anything’ banner, file folder tab ]

So, let’s see what we can chalk up to the class.

White background?  ….check.
Creating a color scheme?  ….check.
Similar layout?  ….check.
Same shapes, different colors/words?  ….check.

As you can see, within Studio you can design a page simply, pick your color schemes, alter your embellishments, change appearances . . . all right there within the program (this is all covered in class).

One of my favoritist (yeah, it’s a word) ways to scrap is to do it all by using Silhouette. You never run out of embellishments and you can customize them for your own needs. Keep it clean + keep it simple. Love the white background so that you can totally keep your *ehem* focus on those photos! And scrapping this way makes it go much faster so you can be done in a jif. Okay, so maybe this wasn’t so ‘jiffy’ for me this time. Lots of problems as a result of ‘the crashing hard drive’. I even had to reinstall Studio. Good grief. But it should have been a jif. :)

Oh, and one other thing to note. See that ‘hello’ on the page? I included it as a graphic element with my text. Just colored it red. These shapes ain’t just for cuttin’ baby!  You could use the PNG or bring it into Silhouette and use the cut file, size it, fill it with color, and turn off the cut lines. Just a fun little twist. I love to maximize my shapes, ya know. :)

2017-02-07T18:27:50+00:00 October 31st, 2012|pages|8 Comments

1. Sally October 31, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Love this page!
    Jordan is such a beautiful girl!
    And thanks to you and all of your amazing classes, I put together a mini album in a jiffy! Thirty two pages in just a couple of hours using Studio. Easy peasy! Even my husband was impressed :)

2. Susan Kopp October 31, 2012 at 3:42 pm

I love this layout and was thinking of ways I could switch things up. Thanks for your great work it really was the catalysis to get me scrapping again.

3. Andi Sexton October 31, 2012 at 8:01 pm

Kari I love this page! I really like the yellow and red and white.. And your daughter’s shoes are adorable!!!

OK, here’s one of those questions… Are you telling me you printed your journaling using the silhouette???? I only have the cutting blade, no color stuff (Cameo). What do I need to do to print journaling like this?

Thanks in advance!

• Kerri October 31, 2012 at 8:48 pm

Hey Andi!
      It’s actually your own printer that does the printing. So while in Studio you would fill in the text (vs. its usual outline form) and then send it to your printer. If you were to do it as a print+cut, you would add the registration marks (upper right corner on the toolbar) before sending it to print. Then you would run that printed item through your Silhouette.

Does that answer your question? :)

4. Caroline D October 31, 2012 at 10:22 pm

You had me at hello. Seriously, I’ve wanted to do the class since you announced it. Heck, *hinted* at it. but that red hello has me drooling!

Alas, I have to wait until the end of the semester and after the craziness of Christmas at work. But come December 26, this baby is All. Mine.

5. Kathleen D November 1, 2012 at 7:19 am

Now I’m intrigued! So we’ll learn all of this in your new class? I see that it’s an “at your own pace” kind of class. Are you active on the forum too for any questions? Beautiful daughter and beautiful layout. Those red shoes are priceless! Love them.

• Kerri November 1, 2012 at 9:44 am

Hey Kathleen! Yes, you learn all about that stuff in the class. It focuses on using color in general and using the color tools in Studio. I do keep up on the boards, but there are also mentors in there that might answer before I do.

And yeah, those red shoes are pretty awesome, aren’t they? :) I bought them for her last year for her birthday.

And Caroline, you crack me up girl! Just FYI, that ‘hello’ is in the ‘Summer Lovin” kit, so you may already have it. :)

6. Andi Sexton November 4, 2012 at 6:39 am

Thank you for the reply, Kerri. I don’t have Studio, but it makes perfect sense (now)!!!