12 Days of Christmas: Day 9

Wow. Wow. Wow! Do I have a day for you!
Some exciting news to announce today, but first let’s get to the regular 12 Days goodies.

Today’s idea comes from Miss Robyn. She wanted this song written,
and so I did it in the usual KB style and put it in Subway Art form!

Print it as an 8×10, place it in a frame and give it as a gift. Or, print it small and put it in your December Daily.
Lots of great places to use it!

This is no longer available as a freebie, but you can purchase it in the store.

I included cut files with this, but more than likely you’ll want to just print the PNG file on this freebie.

So, I’m thinking there are going to be many of you working on your December Daily or your Project Life or maybe you still haven’t sent off that photo card (like me!) or maybe you’re simply going to want to add more photos to your page.

Yeah.

That’s what I’m thinkin’.

So why not put this little guy on sale!

To download it for half off–just $5 today only–click HERE.

Okay, you have no idea just how hard it’s been for me to stay quiet about this next item
because I’m just that excited!

I have been really passionate about this subject for a while and now I’m bringing it to you in the form of a class right here on my site.

Introducing . . .

I can’t tell you just how excited I am about this class!

It has been something stirring in my mind for quite some time–one of those thing I always think. “I need to do this someday…”

Well, NOW is the time.

What is The History Project?

We are the storytellers. We tell the story of our lives. We are all at different places in recording our current lives, some of us have been doing it for a few years and some of us may have been doing it for a few months. But generally speaking, we are in the process of recording our life as it happens now, which is great!

But what about your story? What about the things that happened to you as a child or as a teenager?

We never seem to have time to write these stories down because we are busy scrapping more current events.

We all have a different story. Different ways of growing up. Different family situations. Mine is very unique as compared to even my own children that have lived in the same house their whole lives.

Your story is important. Your story is interesting. Your story needs to be recorded simply and efficiently, without spending all the time worrying about product and laying out pages and finding photos like you do when scrapping. It’s all about the stories, not the foo foo.

It’s all about your history.

Why do The History Project?

Let me share a couple of personal examples with you.

My mom passed away at age 65 due to a series of strokes. Much too early, if you ask me. She shared stories here and there of her life, but do I remember them? Not very many. Did she write them down? No. Those stories are now gone with her. I am sad about that. We have boxes and boxes of stuff that we’ve gone through–tiny little reminders of who she was and what she liked, but no personal stories behind those items. I’m really sad about that.

want  my kids to know those stories about me. I don’t want them to be left with nothing that says who I am or how I became who I am.

I think one of my most treasured things I have is a list of different stories from my dad. I had a ‘family tree’ assignment for Creating Keepsakes several years ago and I thought it would be fun to have the grandparents and parents share their lives at the same age as my 8 year old son. Now, I basically grew up without my dad in the home because my parents divorced when I was nine. I didn’t get to hear those random stories about childhood like my kids do. So when I got a handful pages of different stories from his childhood? I was in heaven. It is pure gold. On top of that, we got to go with him to his childhood hometown, Sheridan Wyoming, for his 55th high school reunion. My sister brought a tape recorder so we could record the flood of memories that came from being there. Again….gold.

So what will we leave behind for our children? Yes, many of us make scrapbooks and maybe even keep journals, but I didn’t necessarily scrapbook or journal when I was nine….did you? And what we think now can be different than what we thought then. Perspective and all.

The important thing is to write it down.
And that’s what this class is all about. Getting those memories down on paper in a fun and unique way.

I want to help you gather those moments in time and collect them in a book. A book that’s all your own, to design how you want to do it. There is no rhyme or reason, only a starting point with a subject and ideas each week. It’s all about letting those thoughts flow. Freedom to express what’s only been in your head.

We will be doing this on a weekly basis so that it will always be in the forefront of your mind. It will help you to complete your project within a year. And if you get behind a week? There’s no worry because this is not a chronological memory book.

By doing this together we support each other. We give each other that drive to leave something of you behind.

What you get in the class each week? (52 weeks total)

• You’ll receive a PDF by email with all the journaling prompts and tips on how to journal the subject for that week. Sometimes I’ll even suggest a photo or ephemera idea to include. All this will be in the PDF to make those ideas and thoughts flow easily into your journal. FYI: The email used will be your PayPal email unless otherwise noted.
  • Additionally the PDF will include my own page examples so you have a base to start with.
  • You’ll receive an exclusive KB-designed graphic element to add visual interest to your journal. Like I said previously, this isn’t about the foo foo, however, I do like a little visual interest. :) But that can be done in a simple fashion.

This graphic element may be a cuttable word image or a cute little decorative card or whatever. Please note, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO HAVE A CUTTER to do this project. Anything that can be cut can also be printed onto transparency or paper using the PNG version and included in your entry.

What is the cost of the class?

$52. That’s $1 a week for the whole 2013 year for the PDF and graphic element. More than anything, I wanted this class to be affordable, easy, and fun with a little visual goodness mixed in. That’s my vision.

And you know how I like to offer savings, so if you sign up by December 31,
the cost is only $47.

On January 1 it goes up to its regular price of $52.

[ To buy this class, click HERE. ]

What do you need for the class?

A notebook or journal and a pen. That’s all you need.

I’m using a composition notebook because there’s no better sound to me in the office supply world than a crinkly notebook. But that’s what I’m doing. Is it the most archivally safe? Probably not. But I really don’t care. :) Hey, if my great grandfather can write in a journal using just an ordinary pen on paper that surely wasn’t archivally safe and have it last 100 years, so can I.

What would be fun to use for the class?

Here is a list of a few things that I’ll be using:
Washi tape! Hello! So easy and fun and visual…and affordable…and thin.
Date stamp(s). Okay, so I may have a variety of those. ;)
Cardstock if you’re cutting elements. Paper or transparencies if you’re printing.
Alphabet stickers.

Remember: Keep it simple.

Do I have to start right at the first of the year?

No. You don’t. Even though the class officially starts on December 31 (a Monday), you can jump in at any time and will have access to all the PDFs and prompts up to that point. This is not a chronological set of memories. We will be all over the place with our memories. It’ll be like one of those compilation children’s storybooks. :) However I will be focusing on the ‘pre-adult’ years, 0-20.

The Moral of the ‘Story’.

When all is said and done, this is your story, your way. It’s your history. You have complete freedom to do it how you’d like. It’s meant to be simple. It’s meant as a solution to recording your life. It doesn’t matter what your age is. You can even get your kids or your husband doing it along with you. Put all your answers in one ‘family’ book or keep your own books.

The important thing is to share your story.

Let’s do it together. I’m so excited! :)

2017-10-19T10:31:17+00:00 December 19th, 2012|classes|16 Comments

1. Sylvia December 19, 2012 at 4:53 am

Awesome! Thanks so much!

2. Patti Johnson December 19, 2012 at 5:16 am

Kerri, thank you for the great idea and class! I’ve taken other classes of yours and always learn so much!
    I’m looking forward to this journey and thank you for the discount too, that’s awesome!

3. {dawn} December 19, 2012 at 8:40 am

I have been so wanting to do something like this for a while. Your class will be the “nagging” I need to get it done!! And, I always love your creativity – sure to be a great project!! Thanks, Kerri!

4. rachel kokes December 19, 2012 at 9:28 am

thank you so much for all the freebies!!!!

5. Tania K December 19, 2012 at 10:04 am

I love the concept of this class… but my life really seems so boring most of the time. My daughter is 19, in university and never at home anymore. I work full time and my spare time is spent golfing, gardening, scrapping or doing the everyday chores that most people do. It seems to me that I wouldn’t have much to say at the end of the day… but like I said, I do love the concept of the class…

• Kerri December 19, 2012 at 10:29 am

Hey Tania!
      Just to let you know, this class is all about YOU. It will be focusing on your life–your stories–up to about age 20. And I want to tell you from personal experience and historical facts, your life is important. You think it may be boring, but I (and I’m getting kind of emotional about this) can tell you without a doubt that your family will love the stories about YOU when you are gone. I know that sounds a little morbid of sorts, but it’s important. My sister has been in the women’s studies field at the university level for some time. She can tell you too, your life, your recorded history is important beyond your own family as well.

My kids are all older too–18-23. This is not about them. It’s about me and my childhood.

I’m not saying all this just to have you take a class. I’m saying all this because it is important to your family, to your posterity. Like I said, your story is important regardless of how boring you think it may be.

I just have to add, that we found our great grandfathers tiny little daily journals that he kept. Said what the weather was, tiny little notes about what he did that day. I’m sure he wondered why he did it. But I can tell you with 100% assuredness that that is a true treasure. I think it’s amaaaazing to hear what he did on a daily basis…what he thought was probably boring.

I just can’t help but keep saying, your story IS important. Everyone has a story to tell.

Okay, I’m done with my soapbox. :) I told you I was passionate about this subject. lol

6. Candy December 19, 2012 at 10:31 am

This class sounds great and very timely for New Year resolutions. Mahalo Kerri!

7. Tania K December 19, 2012 at 11:19 am

Ahh Kerri. Thanks so much for your message. I love that idea. I think I skimmed through the class information far too quickly and somehow I had the idea that this would be about documenting the upcoming year… I love this idea and the fact that I’ll be prompted each week to write something sounds fabulous! You convinced me that I need to do this!

• Kerri December 19, 2012 at 11:28 am

I love it! I’m so happy! You won’t regret it…I promise! :)

8. Jane December 19, 2012 at 11:41 am

I don’t have any children and am the youngest with 4 brothers. I am not sure who will readmy story someday but I really want to get it down.
    Thanks Kerri. I will be signing up.

9. Katrina H December 19, 2012 at 11:54 am

That class sounds awesome! I think I will sign up, and I’m hoping to convince my parents to do some of it with me. Thank you!

10. Deneen December 19, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Kerri, I will be signing up for this class by the 31st. This is something that is so very important to me. My mom died at 43 suddenly and my father died at 65 from Cancer. Because my mom had died much too soon my dad and I talked about many many things that I wanted to know about him. However even though I knew he had served in the Navy I didn’t know that he was actually a firefighter in the Navy. I found out when we were preparing for his funeral. How I wish I knew more about his time in the Navy. Thank you thank you thank you for offering this class.

11. linda gilbert December 19, 2012 at 3:27 pm

I am excited about this, I wish my g-p’s shared more about their child stories. I did ask my g-pa about the family tree etc.got some stories out of him, that was when he was in his 90’s and had his memory. It will be fun, I did do a little scrapbookk bought from Hallmark and put my little pieces of memories in there. Now that they have so much for scrapbookers its like going back to kindergarden coloring, pasting, and writing, but FUN!!!!I want to fell challenge and also be fun too!

12. Audrey V December 19, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Hi Kerri,
    I have subjected myself to a ban on taking new classes, lol, because I have some classes I need to finish first. Yet … this subject is tugging at my heart, I really need to write down more of my personal history, because, I am forgetting it as I get older! And I can’t resist a class from you, and a sale! So I’m sitting on the fence, but I’m sure I’ll jump down and sign up before the 31st. Great idea, btw. We all make gads of layouts about our kids, and too few layout about ourselves.

13. Cindy December 19, 2012 at 4:35 pm

I’m probably going to take the class, but frankly, I don’t remember very much about my childhood at all (it wasn’t very good) and most of what I do remember I wouldn’t want my kids to read. Both my parents passed away in their early 70s, within the last few years, and while my mother didn’t talk much about her life, my dad told me stories about his life in the few months we had before he passed away.
    Anyway, my journal may be fairly empty, but I’ve always been a little curious about my parents, so I can only assume that my son or grandsons may be interested when I’m no longer around.

14. Terri Marchbanks December 20, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Have no fear my dear I’m in like flynn will be purchasing this one next week,4 sure xoxo hugs Miss. Kerri and Merry Christmas