can i be frank?

I’ve been deciding if I should say something. I always want this to be a place of happiness and inspiration, but it has come to my attention from a few honest people out there, that not everyone is being honest with art purchased from my site.

The art from KBS has always been for personal use only. Just because you purchase an image from the Silhouette store or sites like mine does not give people the right to turn around and make a profit off of it. Unless there is a commercial license purchasing option available giving you the rights to make a profit from it, it cannot be used commercially in any capacity. It is copyrighted material. Everything from KBS is copyrighted material. Just because you buy something, does not mean you automatically get to reproduce it and make a profit on it. It’s like buying a CD. You get to use it in your home and listen to it, but you can’t turn around and reproduce it and sell it.

I work hard and spend a lot of time and money to create fabulous things for you all out there. I love it. It makes me happy. And I love seeing it come to life with the things you share with me. But it disheartens me greatly that there are people out there that take advantage of that by stealing or claiming ignorance that it’s ‘okay’ to make things and sell them without a commercial license or even asking for permission (not just me, I’m sure it happens to a lot of small businesses). Let’s put it this way, if you had an idea and sold it at a boutique, would you be mad if someone took something you sold and turned around to make something else and profited from it? All your hard work and money that you put into making it is now making someone else money when it wasn’t intended for that nor did you even give them permission?

I recognize that it’s important to be able to make a buck. I’m all for that. But let’s be honest in our dealings and do things the right way. Not just with KBS, but all around. Small businesses need support, whether it’s me, you, whoever. Be mindful and honest. If there isn’t a commercial option, you can’t use it commercially. (This goes for many free fonts too.)

The good news is, I am currently getting a Limited-Use  Commercial License in place. It’s just taken me a bit longer than I’d hoped. The licensing is geared towards the crafters wanting to make fun crafts for boutiques or sell on Etsy. It is not intended for high volume production or digital reproduction. I’m out to help the little guys. Us small business owners need to stick together. :) When they are available, I’ll be thrilled for you to make things and sell them! But in the interim, it’s not okay.

So please, be aware of what you are doing.

Okay. I’m done now. Thanks for your understanding. :)

2017-02-07T18:27:15+00:00 November 13th, 2013|Uncategorized|23 Comments

1. Carol November 13, 2013 at 11:57 am

I’m so sad that you have to deal with this type of behavior. You are so generous with your talent. It is very unfortunate that others would choose to take advantage of that. :(

2. Lisa (ThePurplePlace) November 13, 2013 at 12:23 pm

What a Bummer!!! Sorry that have to experience this, it seems to happen far too often, both with cut files and digital images and it’s a shame to hear that people take advantage of others!!

I really wish this would stop happening and sadly it only seems to get worse!! I cant’ help buy wonder HOW people can be dishonest and still sleep at night?? Karma??

3. Michele Draper November 13, 2013 at 12:27 pm

Very well put Kerri…..it is saddening to see others abusing a system that initially ends up ruining it for everyone. There always seems to be one bad apple in the basket! Thanks for all your hard work. Your talent is immense and you are so very generous with your freebies!

I hope the offenders get the message in a BIG way!

4. Jennifer Brabston November 13, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Very well put. I am sorry to hear that people have been doing this and I know it must be terribly frustrating for you. You are so creative and I always learn so much from your website. Thanks for all your hard work!

5. Gilda November 13, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Let’s hope the right people see your post, Kerri! It must be very frustrating for you, but I’m sure the majority of us use your designs honestly.

6. Cathleen H. November 13, 2013 at 1:08 pm

Well…I had a long, supportive post drafted, but I just deleted it in favor of “YOU GO GIRL”. Whether people are infringing due to ignorance or some other reason, it’s not just your right but your obligation to protect your copyright.

7. Dolly November 13, 2013 at 1:25 pm

I’m so sorry to hear that people have taken advantage of your kindness….I am glad to hear that your resolution is a commercial licence! I would hate for one bad apple to spoil the whole bunch!

8. Cynthia Larson November 13, 2013 at 2:22 pm

I think you can be very frank especially about this subject. Everything you said is totally true and you said it in a nice straight forward manner. Got your point across without getting all nasty like some people do. I like that!!!!

9. Melanie A. November 13, 2013 at 2:40 pm

Honestly that is why I don’t make and sell anything. How do I come up with a new font of my own, or a new design and make sure I”m not infringing on someone elses? Or make sure I’ve got the right license to use it? Too much complication and I wouldn’t want to accidentally use something for my profit that I wasn’t supposed to. I’m glad you spoke up. It is your time and money and you have a right to say how people can use your product.

10. Ruth G November 13, 2013 at 2:57 pm

I’m so sorry that this happens to you. I love creating, but I also know that if it wasn’t from my own imagination in whole I shouldn’t be selling it to anyone else without first checking with the person who did do the creating! I try and use files for gifts (and hope that the receiver doesn’t in turn sell it. I suppose it would be good for me to include some kind of disclaimer that it shouldn’t be resold.)
    I’m glad to hear that you’re getting a commercial license. I hope that helps to bring to user’s attention that if they plan on selling anything with your files that they should first pay you for that privilege!
    Thanks for all you share with your designs! They make creating more fun!

11. Brenda November 13, 2013 at 3:14 pm

How sad that you had to address this! To me it’s just common sense that you can’t make a profit off of something someone else has created and to think that there are people out there who would do that makes me so sad (and angry too – shame on them!!) Thanks for all the time and money you put into your creations – I love them and am so grateful for your designs and creativity!

12. Jenell November 13, 2013 at 3:24 pm

Well said, Kerri! Sometimes you just have to put it out there as a reminder!

13. Melissa Czapor November 13, 2013 at 3:49 pm

I am glad you posted this. You need to remind people of how the business works. I am so sorry you are experiencing troubles. I LOVE your products and so do my family!! Thanks for working so hard to help me be more creative!!!

14. Von November 13, 2013 at 3:57 pm

So sorry you have to deal with this. :( Thanks for all you do to make creating with my Silhouette fun! Love love love your designs!

15. Lynette November 13, 2013 at 3:57 pm

I am so sorry you have to deal with this. This is so frustrating. Sometimes people forget the classic rules about stealing and cheating. Some people also forget that if they are not sure, they can at LEAST ask you about it first!
    Sometimes people forget that you can’t just use somebody else’s paper, stick your name on it, and turn it in for credit (I had this happen to me in middle school once—he got in trouble!). It’s the same with cuttable files, music, anything. I hope that getting the commercial licensing option goes through well for you, and that it helps decrease people’s cheating habits. Thanks for addressing this, and being frank. Like somebody else said, “You go girl!”

16. Kendra November 13, 2013 at 8:10 pm

Sorry, Kerri. Good for you for speaking up. People need to be kept honest. I love your work and I’m grateful for you.

17. Stacey November 13, 2013 at 8:22 pm

Very nicely put, Kerri. Sorry you have to deal with this.

18. Jewel November 14, 2013 at 5:25 am

So sorry this is happening to you Kerri. You have been so generous in sharing with us your wonderful work and am sad that there are people taking advantage of that. Unfortunately, it is a big problem with small business owners and I am happy you are saying something about it.

19. Nashonne November 14, 2013 at 8:29 am

Kerri, sorry that you had to resort to writing this because of some people trying to profit off your talent and creativity. I pray it does not continue. I love the designs you create for us to make the most beautiful layouts and cards to share with our family, and the generations to come.

20. Dawn N November 14, 2013 at 10:17 am

Well said. I think a lot of times creative work – both paid for and freebies alike are taken advantage of. It’s a shame and sad if you have the knowledge to take credit for something or worse sell something that you didnt create w/o a CU license. I love your designs, and get very excited to see a Friday freebie! – but I also have taken the time and made the investment in your classes which you very generously teach us how to make our own designs. Thank you.

21. Paula November 14, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Very well put, Kerri. Sorry you have been put in a position where it was required. I think you are fabulously talented & I love to learn from you.

22. Marilyn November 16, 2013 at 7:15 am

I am so sorry to hear this, there are always those few that ruin it for everyone. I totally understand where you are coming from and you have to do what you have to do. I love your blog and enjoy your tutorials, your work is amazing! I am hoping to invest in the Cameo in the near future and can’t wait to create with your designs! Thank you for all your hard work and efforts! I appreciate what you do!

23. christi in ma November 22, 2013 at 10:49 am

Thank you for posting this, Kerri. I see way too many people who don’t want to pay for files or images but do want to turn around and sell it. Just wait until someone notices them posting on Etsy and FB with their illegal Disney images. That will change their tune about commercial licenses. For sure.