now that christmas is over

wow.

I feel like Christmas was the final exclamation point to my year. When I started off 2013 I had no idea the kind of year it would bring. I had big plans and big ideas. Some came to fruition and some got pushed by the wayside due to a remodel or a graduation or a new website or a Project Life creation or a last-minute trip or a daughter going on a mission.

It seems like each year–or even each month–I think to myself, ‘It can’t get any crazier than this.’ Yeah. Let’s just say, that I am not going to think that anymore, because that statement is inevitably proved wrong, time after time. I refuse to jinx myself for 2014.

Right now, all I want to do is take my Christmas stuff down, get it all put away and get my house back to normal.

I need normal.

Even if it’s just for a little while…from time to time.

This is going to sound really pathetic, but much of my office stuff that we put into the garage during the remodel? It’s still out there. I just haven’t had time to focus on getting my office back to normal either.

Normal. Is it even possible?

Do we create ourselves a new normal as life gets crazier and crazier?

When will normal be really normal?

Will normal ever be the norm again?

I think this is a paradox of sorts. Much like the ‘How many licks does it take to get to the end of a Tootsie Pop?” The answer? The world may never know.

So what does all this highly intelligent line of thinking mean?

I have no idea.

But I have been pondering what 2014 should mean to me. What do I need in my life? What should my ‘one little word’ mantra be for the year.  Last year it was ‘balancement’–a combination of balance and document. I think I did pretty well with the document part because of The History Project. But I think I was waaaaaay off base on the balance part. I think my life was the complete opposite of balance. I couldn’t find the center balance point if I tried.

So that’s why this year, my word is:

one-little-word-focus

I need to focus on what’s important to me, my family, my sanity, my business, and my church. I can’t get distracted with outside sources. As with many of you–I’m sure–I find that I have the ‘disease to please’ and have a terrible time at saying ‘no.’ I had a few moments of ‘no-ness’ last year and it felt great. That even though I really wanted to do this or that project, deep down I knew what it would ultimately do to my sanity, not to mention my own business. I have this belief that I can do it all. I think we all do as women and moms, don’t we? But here’s a little secret, we can’t do it all….and it’s okay!

Just let it go. It is what it is and it’s alright. Really.

Here’s a bit of what I’m looking forward to to make my life a little better in 2014:
  focusing more on my own business
  focusing on new classes
  focusing on being with the family
  focusing on a trip or two
  focusing on organization
  focusing on simplifying my home. simplify, simplify, simplify.
  focusing on a bathroom remodel (hopefully)
  focusing on re-landscaping the backyard–including a sprinkler system!
  focusing on learning to balance life and not let it consume me

I’ve  been formulating two new classes specifically over the past couple months that I’m very excited about. One that’s been a long-time coming and one that…well…has also been a long-time coming so to speak, but it’s been near and dear to a part of who I am and what I’ve done over the years and I’m excited to do something brand new the KBS way.  Now I’m just having a hard time deciding which should come first. Maybe I should focus on that and make a decision. ;)

Anyway, the end of the year or the starting of a new year always brings out these kinds of feelings. It makes you feel fresh and new and ready and empowered to tackle a new year.

But when all is said and done, we really have to remember to live each day in each new year. Don’t let life consume you to the point where everything else is pushed aside.

That’s what I’m focusing on.

2017-10-17T16:43:26+00:00December 26th, 2013|Uncategorized|9 Comments

1. janel December 26, 2013 at 10:27 am

Cannot wait to see what your new classes are…as I am planning on taking a KB class, and a new one…may be just what I need. I have had the word focus for my OLW a couple of years ago…it was great, and really kept me on track. This year….my word is “discover”, and am excited to discover new ideas in your classes. Happy New Year.

2. Lori December 26, 2013 at 3:42 pm

NEW classes coming soon?!?! Now that is a great belated Christmas gift to me! How exciting; thank you! Wishing you a wonderful new year!

3. Gina December 26, 2013 at 6:50 pm

New classes I can’t wait, although this year I am going to try and finish the classes I paid for and haven’t finished yet. Trying to find time to balance a new job, children, an aging parent and church is a challenge. I love your word, but I may have to go with balance this year.

4. Claire December 26, 2013 at 11:40 pm

Kerri – I know EXACTLY how you feel – I chose FOCUS as my word for next year too (with a sub-word of ‘organise’) I shall be focussing on ME – my health, my weight loss journey, my exercise routine and organising meals, my office, my classes that I haven’t finished, my LIFE but focussing every day (possibly find an hour the same time every day to go away and do this). I have just been existing and lurching from crisis to event to packaged food!
    So, I am with you :)

5. Paula December 27, 2013 at 2:21 am

I know just how you feel! Life well & truly ran away with me this year. Work, as always took over but being single, I am solely responsible for all bills etc.
    However, rather late, but better than never, I set aside some “me” time & had great fun. I took two Tim Holtz classes to satisfy my mixed media side & dived in to your silhouette classes :)
    So glad that I did & now I holding out for more!!!! Very excited that you have other classes in the pipeline.:)

6. Trish December 27, 2013 at 4:07 am

Kerri, Your heartfelt comments resonated with me, too. Maybe with FOCUS as a mantra all of those other things (like balance and sanity) will come naturally. I feel as if I am an organized person, but events which I have no control over threaten that peaceful mindful and fulfilled life I am reaching for. I guess if life were TOO peaceful, there wouldn’t be growth and enlightenment? Anyway, life is good and I will look forward to your new classes and all things KBS this year. You enrich my life with your creativity and your goodness. Thank you and I wish you wonderful 2014!

7. Aja December 27, 2013 at 6:56 am

Kerri,

What you have shared makes sense to me. I really hope that you find a way to focus. Before even writing your post, I had chosen focus as my word. What I realize I need to do is focus on what I’m trying to focus on…and seeing how you have gotten specific has helped me remember how to get started. Thank you!

8. Sue December 28, 2013 at 1:46 am

Kerri, I had FOCUS as my word last year; its a great choice! I am rubbish at focusing on anything, flitting from one thing to another, never getting anything done. And I certainly got more done with this mantra, than if I hadn’t chosen it :) Wishing you lots of luck with your year of focus!

9. Stacey December 29, 2013 at 10:38 am

Focus sounds like a perfect word for you. Isn’t it great how one word can just find you and help you so much?

I just picked my OLW for 2014. I’ve done a rough draft of my blog post and will look forward to sharing it next week.