New year = Perfect time to start ‘The History Project’

I am in awe of what I personally accomplished last year in my own life history. I’m just plain happy.

Recording all those wonderful memories of my childhood into one golden nugget of goodness. And I’m still not quite done. Still have a few prompts to complete (got a little behind in the fall madness).

But I love looking at my book. Here’s a 30-second peek into what I did last year.

Knowing what I have left behind for my children makes me happy. I wish–so wish–I had stories like that from my mom before she passed away. The stories that are just plain gone. No one will ever know why she kept this trinket or that piece of paper. Or what her favorite songs were or friends as a child and how they got along. I do have access to some stories from her two remaining sisters, but really, the essence of my mother’s childhood isn’t there.

And I want that.

I want that for my children.

I want my own story shared for my children and their posterity.

I can’t tell you just how important it is.

And with a class, like The History Project, you can do it in a fun and creative way–without all the foo foo of creating scrapbook pages–but still with a little visual delight.

Working on The History Project in 2014

When I started this project last year, a classroom and message board weren’t even a blip on my radar. Now that I do have a support system there, in 2014 I won’t be doing the weekly emails and PDF/accent mailings. That can all be accessed in the classroom. I will, however, send monthly emails of encouragement and reminders to help you keep motivated to do it.

My philosophy is: There is no behind. Just do it.

Setting aside one day a week to work on it and make it routine, is the best thing to do. I had a tendency to work on mine on Sundays. But maybe Mondays, when the kids have just gone off to school works better for you. Also, keep a notebook and jot down the subjects so that as you think of  a memory, you can write it down. Because I will tell you, as quick as a memory flash comes into your head, it can leave just as fast and be forgotten.

What People Have Said About The History Project

I think that one of the biggest perks of doing this class is hearing how it has affected your own lives. I’m personally passionate about this project, but hearing your stories of what it has meant to you, has touched me deeply. It’s what this project is all about.

Here’s some excerpts from emails that I’ve received:

“Thank you so much I LOVE THE HISTORY CLASS  brings up great memories  had my 2 kids laughing so hard on one entry  worth every penny to see them laughing like that  thank you “ –K

“Ok, so I’m catching up from being behind on this project and I am LOVING getting these memories down on paper! It is turning out so great! Thanks  for this great inspirational project! :)” –J

“My daughter was home from college last week and I found her reading the few posts I have completed in my journal. She looked up and said “Thank you Mommy, this is so great!” Now that is some serious inspiration.” –T

“I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for the History project.  It has been so encouraging and fun to write about each subject then ask my Mom if she remembers the same stories.  Most of the time every story had to have “tweeking” to get Mom’s little tid-bits in that I had forgotten.   —It is with much deep sadness that I will have to finish the remainder of my project without Mom’s help.  Mom passed away Wednesday afternoon following complications from Heart valve replacement surgery….” –F

I’m quite emotional about this. Maybe it’s all compounded by the fact I don’t get to see my daughter for the next 18 months, but rereading these few comments touches me yet once again.

It’s why I did this project.

Not just for me, but for all of you.

It’s that important to me.

And at the risk of sounding like a cheesy tv commercial, it’s only a dollar a week and you get all the PDF help–writing + memory tips–as well as an exclusive KBS accent for your prompt. It’ll be something you can use your digital cutter with or print and add it to your book.

I want this to be affordable. I want it to be doable. I want it to be fun. I want it to be memorable.

Like I said, I’m that passionate about it.

This is your story  your way and the time to do it is now.

[ For more information on The History Project, click HERE and HERE. FYI, this is still the same class. ]
2017-02-07T18:27:11+00:00 December 27th, 2013|classes|20 Comments

1. Angela December 27, 2013 at 3:35 pm

Well..after reading that..how could I say no?? Signed up!

2. Lynette December 27, 2013 at 5:22 pm

I am seriously thinking about this class! I am only 26, so if I got 1-20 taken care of this class, I’ll be doing good! I am a total journal-er. I have 25+ journals from teenage years and up. I know my kids will want to know stuff about me…but dude, they will probably want the condensed version most of the time! My mom did a scrapbook for me up to age 5….and that’s all I have. This would be a great project to get the stories down, and then just stick the pictures in a separate album and just call it good! :) Thank you so much. I will seriously be considering using Christmas money for this class! :)

3. Mariah December 28, 2013 at 1:16 pm

For some reason, that video choked me up. I will check this class out.

4. Lorraine December 28, 2013 at 6:33 pm

I participated in the 2013 class (but am terribly behind). Will the prompts be any different? Are the same message boards used for both years?

What would be the advantage of signing up for 2014?

• Kerri December 28, 2013 at 6:34 pm

The prompts are all the same. No need to sign up again. It’s just that now is a good time for anyone who’s been thinking of doing it…new year and all. :) And you’ll have forever access, so no worries there.

5. TamiF December 28, 2013 at 7:00 pm

When will we receive the last 15% of the 2013 class? I know you’ve been busy. Just curious when the last 8 lessons will be delivered. Thanks for any info!

• Kerri December 28, 2013 at 7:12 pm

They are coming. :) In fact, the first one of this last group comes out tomorrow (just waiting to photograph in the morning). That’s my whole goal over these next few days. Get ‘er done! :)

6. Katie December 28, 2013 at 8:07 pm

For Christmas this year, my mom asked for 10 pages of my personal history. I have to admit that I still haven’t started due in part to the craziness of getting Christmas for my family, but also due to the fact that I have no idea where to start! I will get her the 10 pages she asked for, but next Christmas she’ll have even more, thanks to this class! I’m signing up right now!

7. Jean December 29, 2013 at 10:12 am

Can you tell us how much digital content is included in the class? A cut file/printable each week?

• Kerri December 29, 2013 at 10:39 am

Hey Jean! There’s two links at the bottom of this post, the second one takes you to a post that shares more of what is in the class. Generally speaking, there’s two pages of content for each prompt, including photos, tips, ideas, memory triggers, actual writing tips, etc. (The page example shown is one page of two.) There’s also one digital/cuttable element. Often it’s a title, but there’s others as well. Hope that helps!

8. Jolene December 29, 2013 at 8:07 pm

I just went back and read about the class (again!) and the funny thing that clinched it for me was reading that your Dad’s hometown is Sheridan, WY! I grew up in Dayton, WY and know Sheridan well! That decided it for me. Strange, I know, but there it is. Can’t wait to get started.

• Kerri December 29, 2013 at 8:33 pm

Jolene…that’s awesome! I love that! My mom and dad met in Sheridan–when she lived there for a little while in high school. She worked at the theater there on the main street. Once upon a time I found an old postcard online of Sheridan in the 50s and I imagined my mom and dad being there on those streets, her working at the theater, for which you could see the marquee.

It’s a small world, eh?

And Katie, your mom asked for an awesome gift! Whether you did it through this class or not, I love that idea! Usually it’s the other way around–kids wanting it from their parents. Type it up first and then you’ll always have a copy to pass around. Then if you want to journal it by hand for authenticity, you can do that too. I always find that typing helps my thought process and writing more…plus, it’s then my backup. :)

9. Nashonne December 30, 2013 at 10:31 am

I have so LOVED doing The History Project this year! I’m lucky to still have my parents here to ask them things about my childhood so my son would have some insight into his mom as I was growing up. I love the elements too!

I’m almost done, and that’s a little sad. I enjoyed receiving the weekly emails, seeing what the new topic would be. I carried my book and pen with me so when I had a spare moment I could update it, without the need for anything else (I prettied it up later with the element, stickers, and washi tape).

A girlfriend also bought the class and the two of us has kept each other motivated to keep up and complete the project.

Kerri, thanks so much for a GREAT CLASS with positive ramifications for years to come!

• Kerri December 30, 2013 at 12:56 pm

Thanks Nashonne! Your journey sounds like it was an amazing one.
      Glad you loved the class! :)

10. Lisa G. December 30, 2013 at 4:06 pm

All signed up and ready to start :) Pink book in hand!

• Kerri December 30, 2013 at 4:17 pm

I love it Lisa! Welcome! :)

11. ana roat December 30, 2013 at 8:31 pm

Hey, my sister had a Shirley Temple doll just like yours! What fun watching you flip thru your journal. I’ve watched the video several times and smile everytime I do.

Thanks for the peek Karri.

Happy New Year!!!

12. RHadonda December 31, 2013 at 1:44 pm

That looks amazing. I can’t imagine writing that much and you have such pretty hand writing. Cool.

13. Rita January 7, 2014 at 1:06 pm

Maybe a strange question, but is the sheet that you covered the inside front cover with included with the class? That is something I would love to have documented.

• Kerri January 7, 2014 at 2:17 pm

Yes, it’s the element in Week 8. :)