i blame this thing

Meet Tweety.

tweety

My cute little baby bird of a Mac.

This sweet little thing came into my life last February when the downstairs became a shell of its former glory (pfff….not glory…outdated mess).

I always felt chained to my Big Mama Mac (aka, Witch Hazel. Looney Tunes fans here). Always in my office. Sitting in that chair. In the space that existed with the television so that I  could still be a part of the family while working.

I was excited to get my little Tweety bird because it allowed me to fly away from that space–even when it was finished. I could work outside. I could sit in the big comfy chair upstairs and look outside my picture window at the big mountains that I love so dear. I could work anywhere. It felt like freedom.

It was fabulous.

I loved my Tweety.

But with the new year comes new realizations.

Tweety had taken over my life. Or rather, Tweety allowed work to take over my life.

I’ve always struggled with finding balance because I’ve worked at home for about fifteen years. It’s hard because you feel guilty when you’re just watching television or reading a book. ‘You could be doing something productive,’ I’d say to myself.

Well, that compounded ten-fold when Tweety came along. Not only could it be with me outside during the day, but every night in a chair or on my bed while ‘watching tv’ or in the car or on the farm…or…or…or….

It’s strange the guilt you feel when you’re not being productive. Most people work their 9-5 jobs and go home. Mine? It never leaves me.

And a couple Sundays ago, as I was driving out of the parking lot,  leaving church early once again to work on the last of my final push of the work needing to be done, I decided to firmly make a resolution in my efforts to apply ‘focus’ to my life.

more-this-less-that
No more working on weekends.

This is going to be sooooo hard for me! In 2012 I actually did pretty well with it. Not going to my computer on Sundays, rarely looking at my computer on Saturdays…it was wonderful.

But last year, as I’ve mentioned before, was a year of complete out-of-controlness (yeah, it’s a word). Tweety did rescue me and allowed me more ‘freedom’ in how I did my work, but it also compounded my life because I could work anywhere any time.

Like I say, this will be hard, especially since I’m only going to answer emails on Saturday morning and not again until Monday morning. I know I will have to work the occasional Saturday, but I won’t be working on Sundays anymore. I won’t. I won’t. I won’t. I won’t.

[insert visual of the heel of my hand pounding my head here.]

This is one of the first steps towards focusing on all areas of my life to create the balance that got so completely out of whack last year.

I’m feeling pretty good about this. And if I relapse and reply to an email outside of Saturday morning and before Monday morning? You get on my case, will ya? I need help staying in check with my goals.

I’m trying to create a new habit.

A good habit.

One that’s better for my well-being and my family life.

And I have to say, yesterday was the first day on my road to recovery. I focused more on trying to organize my office rather than looking at my computer and working.

I have just one word to say: happiness.
It felt great!

One Sunday down, 50 more to go.

I can do this.

2017-02-07T18:27:10+00:00 January 13th, 2014|Uncategorized|15 Comments

1. Rebecca January 13, 2014 at 6:37 am

You go girl! You got this!

2. Barb January 13, 2014 at 7:12 am

Good luck! But ya gotta keep Tweety open for the Jack Johnson music!! I see my very favorite album on your screenshot. That is what’s playing in Ohio right now too!

3. Nashonne January 13, 2014 at 7:33 am

Good for you Kerri! We all need work-life balance in our lives.

4. Audrey V January 13, 2014 at 8:53 am

I hear you! My laptop makes it easy to work wherever, and it does take over my life. I also work from home, and sometimes I appreciate the ability to get caught up on my work on the weekends. And a lot of the people that I work with also do the same thing, so some of them have come to expect a response from me on the weekends. I do think it is unhealthy for us. Good for you!

5. Gwen Lords January 13, 2014 at 9:32 am

I have been trying to do that also, technology is such a blessing, but also it can be a huge distraction from the things that are most important. Good luck!

6. Lorretta January 13, 2014 at 9:44 am

Good for you! As much as I LOVE LOVE LOVE your products and classes, I am still so happy to hear that you are giving yourself some time off. =)

7. Kathy January 13, 2014 at 10:31 am

I sent you an email on Saturday and I am very proud of you for not answering it! I bet people don’t hear THAT very often! LOL

8. Nola Grotegut January 13, 2014 at 10:37 am

Good for you! When you are tempted, say to yourself “Remember this day is not for work, it is for family” You can do it!!!!

9. heidig January 13, 2014 at 11:33 am

I think we all need a little more of the closed laptop and less of the open. I’m with you! Good luck.

10. Rachel Eliston January 13, 2014 at 1:25 pm

Yes! This is something I can totally relate to. I am only in my first week of blogging and have seen a massive increase in laptop/smartphone/iPad time and less people time already and I don’t like it! I definitely need to learn to manage my time better and do what you are doing! Make myself have time off and live too, which will probably increase the creative juices for when I do sit down to blog etc. Well done for making a stand! Good luck and thank you for showing this newbie that I have to take time out too!

11. Kitty January 13, 2014 at 1:54 pm

Good Luck and I really mean it. I do home daycare and I know what you mean. I work around the clock. My poor garden looked aweful last year Not this year I to am taking off the weekends thanks for the letter it was a great read

12. vicki January 13, 2014 at 4:12 pm

I totally get it. I had a home-based business when my kids were small — and I worked ALL the time. ALL. THE. TIME.
    I didn’t have a laptop so I was in the office, away from my family. It was much nicer when I got my life in balance. You can do it!

13. SiskiyouSue January 13, 2014 at 5:45 pm

Good luck!

14. Rhadonda January 14, 2014 at 8:35 am

Right there with ya! I have worked from home for forever as a medical transcriptionist and trust me those doctors dictate 24/7. While i am thankful for my job especially when i had kids at home, now that i am empty nest i find myself becoming a workaholic and not knowing how to relax or enjoy other things. I am praying and searching for just the right schedule that accomplishes much in my life physically, spiritually and workally (i make up words too!) It is so hard to get that balance. Here’s to finding balance (maybe that should be my word for this year)

• Kerri January 14, 2014 at 8:50 am

It’s so nice to know we are not alone in this. Maybe we can all keep each other in check in making sure that we make time to have a life vs. letting work consume it.

Already I’m feeling calmer this year than I felt at any other time last year.

And Rhadonda, I’m afraid of falling into the empty-nester-workally-at-home-all-the-time too. I’m technically there. I do have a college student at home, but she’s pretty self-sufficient. ;) I had balance as part of my OLW last year and failed miserably! That’s why I chose ‘focus’ this year. I thought that would help me achieve the balance, among other things.

Kathy…love the support there girl!

And Barb, the music will always be playing. :)