it’s the simple things

Yesterday I pulled out a fresh jar of strawberry jam from the freezer.

I loved it.

I loved the fact that I could go to the freezer and refresh my little stock of strawberry jam.

There’s something about tasting the fruits of your labor (maybe pun intended).

It reminds me of pretty much every summer I had growing up on the farm. Canning. The smell of pickle brine at 10:00 at night. Slicing corn off the cob. Picking raspberries. Seeing my grandpa eat bread, milk and raspberries for dessert.  Making a plethora of jams. Snapping beans on the front porch. It goes on and on…every single summer.

How lovely it was to know that if you needed a tomato for dinner and didn’t have one in the house that you could run to the garden instead of the store.

My favorite summer meal was fresh red potatoes, cucumbers in vinegar, and silver queen corn on the cob. It doesn’t get any better than that. I can still to this day picture sitting in the dining room with the lovely chandelier hanging over our heads and the big brass mirror on the wall and enjoying such a meal on many occasions.

I think canning isn’t the way of life anymore. I kind of miss that. I miss having access to a big garden full of fresh food. Not that we couldn’t do one in our backyard…and we have, but it just isn’t the same.

So for now, I’ll savor the fruits of my little labor with my little jars of strawberry freezer jam. My first ‘canning’ that I’ve done in my 26+ years of marriage.

Who knows, maybe next year I’ll tackle something else.

2017-05-21T07:36:26+00:00 June 11th, 2014|everyday|6 Comments

1. Sandy R. June 11, 2014 at 11:21 am

I’m with you! Miss the freshness of grabbing a carrot right out of the garden and washing it off with the hose, and raiding the rhubarb patch to eat with a little bowl of sugar… I always hide some veggies in my perennial garden, but it’s not the same as the huge plat we had when growing up. I tried my hand at jelly this year too… Grape frame the vines I planted. I was proud, and the neighbours were grateful (it made a lot!)

2. PaulaJean June 11, 2014 at 1:26 pm

I wondered if you got to make the freezer jam! I posted on your instagram about it awhile back… what recipe did you end up using? I miss those days as well. My grandfather always had a big garden and cold storage in the cellar. Miss those days.

• Kerri June 11, 2014 at 2:39 pm

Hey Paula!
      I think I used that same recipe…it’s the Pectin recipe. I think there was one that you cook and one that you didn’t have to cook. I opted for the ‘no cook’ one. Maybe I’ll try the other way some day.

It may be runny-ish, but tasty. It’s great on German Pancakes too…with whip cream, of course.

3. Laura K June 11, 2014 at 2:15 pm

I can every summer. I love it. My mother was a full time working mom and never had any interest in things like canning but I have an aunt who canned every summer and I would help her so it became part of my tradition. I wish I had a place to grow a substantial garden but a balcony in a condo isn’t really conducive to that so I get fresh produce from the farmer’s markets around the valley and sometimes go up to the downtown Salt Lake farmers market. We never have store bought jams or jellies. I hope it is a tradition my girls will keep up. Thank you for sharing your story!

4. Vicki June 11, 2014 at 8:28 pm

I love to make jams and jellies! I do it almost every year. I love to do combos that you can’t find in the store – like strawberry banana and peach amaretto. YUM! My mother used to can a little – but my next door neighbor canned a TON and I always helped her. I love it. My husband had cancer last summer so I didn’t get a chance to do too much — Thank God he’s doing well and they sky is the limit this year :)

5. Ruth Tacoma June 11, 2014 at 9:00 pm

Former city girl here (Chicago) who married Farmer Boy 29 years ago. We still plant a rather large garden filled with pontiac red potatoes, spring peas, onions, bell peppers, tomatoes, rhubarb, raspberries, melons and Bodacious sweet corn, even though the kids are gone and we give most of it away now. I love running out to the garden for super fresh veggies. We should have peas ready soon…Michigan is way behind this year.

Now our oldest son and his wife have their own home and are planting their first garden…kind of fun to watch them plant, water & hope! They are city kids with big dreams. :)