Friday Freebie  •  Page  •  Silhouette Video Tutorial

simplestories_kbs_promo

So, a funny thing happened last week. When I was making the sunshine freebie for last week I had a song stuck in my head. And sadly, because I don’t know all the words, the only thing that kept going through my head was…sing it with me…Good Day Sunshine….bah da da da da da da…..Good Day Sunshine….

And on and on and on.

Then Naomi sent me her page and I saw the Simple Stories ‘Good Day Sunshine’ title on there. And I thought, ‘What a coincidence.’ It wasn’t until I was chatting with Layle that I realized that their marvelous summer collection was called that. I’d looked at all of their collections, but didn’t remember the names. So when I mentioned to her how I’d had that stuck in my head, she popped up with a fabulous idea!

A handwritten freebie of the same phrase.

It was the perfect freebie for this week!

And so this was born.

good_day_sunshine_example

To download it–forever free–click HERE.

That whole collaboration between Simple Stories and KBS collaborates more than just awesome pages. ;)

And now you are going to have this song stuck in your head for the next three days too.

Sorry ’bout that.

Welcome to my recent world.

__________________________

And now, I have a page to share today.

*gasp*

Pick your jaw up off the floor. It’s true. I really got one done!

I just have to say, when I saw the Simple Stories Vintage Bliss collection, I knew it was for me. It’s been around a little while, but I had this photo that I wanted to scrap of Jordan…and with her being a vintage girl herself? I had to use it.

When I pulled out the kit, I was in love. There were so many fun things to use, I felt like a kid in a candy store and couldn’t choose! Adored the color palette too.

But I narrowed it all down to this:

beautiful-pagebeautiful-page-1beautiful-page-2

[ Designs | Tiny Details (‘adventure’ tag) / Something To Say (‘beautiful’) / More Background Basics (diamond background inset) ]

This line works so well with the Tiny Details. And in case you didn’t know or remember, the Tiny Details kit also includes DXF/SVG files so you can create your own color for the tag in programs like Silhouette Studio, like I did here. (Includes PNG for PS/PSE too.) I also used a card for my journaling from Simple Stories Office Card Foundations line as well as their enamel dots.

I seriously had so much fun creating this page! It’s really the first time in a very long time that I didn’t sketch one out like I normally do. It was refreshing to start from a kit standpoint. Something I haven’t really done since probably my CK Kit of the Month or even QVC days. I just threw caution to the wind and didn’t even plan out color blocks and cut them ‘to size’. I just randomly cut some and threw it together.

Sooooo not like me! I’m such a planner. I guess that’s what working with an awesome kit like this can do for a gal.

It was a creative kick starter for me to work in a different way. Not to mention the fact that I used several patterned papers and colors, which is unlike me. One or two patterns or colors is usually my max. So I was just steppin’ outside my box all over the place. :) Okay, so I still used my trademark white background, but still…..

I think one of my favorite elements on the page is the lattice (diamond) inset. It went so well with the Vintage Bliss collection.

And now, you’re probably asking, ‘Well yes, it’s a great idea. But how do you do that?‘ ;)

Well, I got a video for that. Check it out.

I can’t believe we just have one more day of Simple Stories + KBS fun! This week has gone by soooo fast and I’ve been completely amazed and inspired by both design teams. They have been awesome!

Don’t forget to enter to win a Good Day Sunshine kit in yesterday’s post.
It ends tonight!

2017-06-05T12:48:56+00:00 June 20th, 2014|pages, video tutorials|23 Comments

1. Debbie S June 20, 2014 at 5:22 am

Thanks for the awesome freebie–and all the Friday freebies! Summer is even more fun with you!

2. TracyM #6773 June 20, 2014 at 5:23 am

You are so funny Kerri :)
    If it makes you feel any better, I now have GOOD DAY SUNSHINE in my head, humming along as I type. I confess that I couldn’t remember the lyrics either, even after looking them up they just won’t stay in order in my head, I do remember that GOOD DAY SUNSHINE is repeated 18 times during this song by the Beatles!!!
    THANK YOU for sharing your freebie with us today – I don’t have a cutting machine, so I have saved the FABULOUS file and plan on using it to print some cards for some cheery pages!!!
    BEAUTIFUL layout, LOVE the layers!!! … it is awesome when creativity flows like it did for your page today, it rarely happens to me, I confess that I usually over think everything.

3. Sue Alg June 20, 2014 at 5:52 am

Thanks for the freebie. Love these. And, thanks for sharing your page and video. I’m definitely going to use this file very, very soon. I think I might have your diamond lattice background OR I might just have to get it. And, yes know I have that song in my head too.

4. Cindy K June 20, 2014 at 6:09 am

Good Day Kerri…Thanks for the freebie and the video tutorial! I learned something I never knew before. what the knife in Silhoutte was for! (And also how to make the background on the page, I would have welded it and then tried to delete the top part.) Loved the week long inspiration you and your team provided as well as Simple Stories’ team! Loved your layout and the fact you lived on the edge to make it! Sometimes you just have to!

5. Ruth G June 20, 2014 at 6:42 am

I love the way you think! Your layout is fabulous! Vintage Bliss is definitely perfect with your photo (especially in black and white) and it’s wonderful how you fused your cuts and printed elements with this collection!

Thanks so much for the video! My mind is now racing with how I can do little windows like that (whereas just looking at your page it just looked like magic!)

Thanks for all you share! Have a great day!

6. Ruth G June 20, 2014 at 6:44 am

Oh, and I could think of worse songs to get stuck in my head than Good Day Sunshine! That’s actually a great one since we’ve been having lots of thunderstorms the past few days, which I actually love, but it has been a bit dreary so sunshine is a cheery idea that I appreciate about now!

7. Lynn Mercurio June 20, 2014 at 8:02 am

Thank you so much Kerri, for sharing your creativity with us all!

8. Diane June 20, 2014 at 8:34 am

Great layout and silhouette tip! And thanks for the freebie – your designs are the best!

9. marylouh June 20, 2014 at 8:43 am

Love that the lattice work is only at the top. It’s great layout. The picture is the focal point. it’s not over-powered by the other embellishments. Thanks for having the hop.

10. Heather Thompson June 20, 2014 at 9:13 am

great layout!!! love the subtle colors.

11. Nita K. June 20, 2014 at 9:43 am

Great page! I love all the patterns. Thanks for the great freebie, too.

12. Megan K. June 20, 2014 at 11:36 am

Thanks for the tutorial on how you made the background! It’s so great to be able to make my Silhouette Cameo even more fantastic :D

13. SherryGrove June 20, 2014 at 12:21 pm

Kerri: love, love, love today’s Friday Freebie. And thank you for putting that Beatles tune in my head; it’s a goodie. And, if you’d like to sing along with me, here are the lyrics:
    Good day sunshine

I need to laugh, and when the sun is out
    I’ve got something I can laugh about
    I feel good, in a special way
    I’m in love and it’s a sunny day

Good day sunshine

We take a walk, the sun is shining down
    Burns my feet as they touch the ground

Good day sunshine

Then we lie beneath a shady tree
    I love her and she’s loving me
    She feels good, she know she’s looking fine
    I’m so proud to know that she is mine

• Kerri June 20, 2014 at 2:05 pm

Oh gee…thanks. ;) So like, the song is soooo much just that one phrase, right?
      It’s no wonder why we don’t know the lyrics except for that. lol

14. Sandy Evans June 20, 2014 at 2:00 pm

Thank you for the freebie Kerri. You are always so generous. AND I absolutely love your LO. Simply beautiful.

15. Lorna Sampson June 20, 2014 at 2:03 pm

Love this freebie….well love all freebies but this one rocks!

16. stacie d June 20, 2014 at 9:19 pm

Love the pretty LO! Thanks for the perfect summer cut file!

17. Tara M June 20, 2014 at 11:32 pm

Thank you for the freebie! I have been in awe of all the layouts this week!

18. Karen June 21, 2014 at 11:41 am

Thanks for this and all the freebies and this great video and technique. Your layout is awesome.

19. Trish June 21, 2014 at 12:15 pm

Thanks so much Kerri for the wonderful sentiment! i will enjoy using it in my card making, especially for my sweet grandchildren! Your page with Jordan makes my heart swell, the love for your child is so clear!

20. Katrina H June 21, 2014 at 5:47 pm

That would be so cool to do as a 3×4 Project Life card!

21. julie June 22, 2014 at 10:48 am

Kerri,
    once again thank you for showing us a quick tip that I can use immediately!

YAY!

Love the page too!
    Julie

22. NancyK June 24, 2014 at 8:04 am

Thanks so much for this tutorial! I’ve been wondering how I can get the most use out of my background designs and this is perfect.