Importing Files Into Studio | From Start To Finish

In the previous version of Silhouette Studio, you could only do a mass import of files if you were working with SVG files and the Designer Edition.

But all that has changed now with version 3.

You can now mass import DXF and JPG/PNG files into the Standard Studio edition.

I just want to get up and dance! (Okay, maybe that has something to do with So You Think You Can Dance being on right now.)

…but still…

….exciting.

like way exciting.

The other major improvement to Studio version 3 is the ability to easily add your own keywords and descriptions.

even more exciting.

This is huge stuff for me…and I’m sure for you too.

And so now, with all this good stuff rolled up into this sweet little package, I thought it would be a grand idea to update my importing video…on account-a…some things have changed. Some great things!

This video is a from-start-to-finish process of using files from sources outside of the Silhouette store. Explaining how they come, which files you’ll want to use, and what you may need to do to use them, as well as how to create your own properties for each design.

This video is especially great if you are new to the Silhouette world or new to purchasing files from outside sources.

So sit back, relax, and enjoy the goodness that’s now in version 3.

2017-05-20T08:44:54+00:00 August 28th, 2014|silhouette, video tutorials|24 Comments

1. Dolly August 28, 2014 at 8:40 am

Thanks so much Kerri for the great video!! I’ll give a big Hallelujah to that too!! :D TFS!

2. Susan P August 28, 2014 at 9:22 am

Thanks so much for this video Kerri! I finally switched over to V3 with this last update, and am enjoying it. Can’t wait for my Pix Scan mat to arrive so I can try that out! Your videos are always awesome (as well as your classes!).

3. Nicole August 28, 2014 at 9:49 am

Thank you so much for this video Kerri! I am off to upload a bunch of stuff into my library! :) :)

4. Sue Alger August 28, 2014 at 11:55 am

Kerri, as usual, you bring such useful info to us. I’ve been importing files from your store for quite some time and was so happy that I was able to “pop” them in my Silhouette folders so easily since this latest version.

What I learned today is the differentiation between the various file formats. That was very useful.

5. Sherry107 August 28, 2014 at 3:20 pm

I am STILL on the fence about updating to V3….. and a little scared-still!! Thanks for the info!

• Kerri August 28, 2014 at 3:37 pm

Sherry, I think you’ll be good to go with the update that came out this month. I’ve been using the one before that and besides a large amount of text causing it to crash, it’s been pretty good. You can always go back if it’s causing problems, but I think you should be okay now. :)

6. deb pereira August 28, 2014 at 9:23 pm

Kerri, thanks for this great video. You covered some issues I was having such as the cut lines not being turned on for sag files. Now I know how to do this. More videos please!!!

7. Ruth G August 29, 2014 at 7:22 am

I had no idea that you could import like that into Studio! That is wonderful! I have Designer Edition so I never know which type of file to choose to use. It’s good to know which one will come in with color (which I love, too)! Thanks so much for sharing!

8. Karen Peterson August 29, 2014 at 1:42 pm

Awesomesauce!!

9. burcu August 29, 2014 at 3:13 pm

Thank you thank you! I now got all my cut files lying around here and there in different folders organized :)

10. Tabetha August 29, 2014 at 4:26 pm

Thank you for this tutorial. Unfortunately, when I right click on a file in the library, the only option I have is to “show properties” and there is no option to “edit properties” as shown in your video. Is that feature only available in the designer version (I have the standard version), or is there a menu somewhere that I’m supposed to enable that option? Thanks so much for your help!

• Kerri August 29, 2014 at 4:44 pm

It’s available in version 3–in both the standard edition and DE. You may want to make sure you’ve update to the latest, which is currently 3.1.417. Your software may not say it needs to be updated due to a glitch.

11. Liana S. September 2, 2014 at 7:16 pm

Thank you so much for this video! It’s exactly what I needed today as I import hundreds of files one by one. However, I don’t have the latest standard version. It’s saying that I have the lastest, and I don’t know how to force update it. Any tips? Thanks!

12. Cherri September 2, 2014 at 8:44 pm

Love the tutorial Kerri but I have a question. When I unzip my files it says they are svg document but the icon next to it is internet explorer e. It doesn’t seem to move into the library as a svg. What could be wrong? Thanks for the help.

13. Cherri September 2, 2014 at 9:00 pm

Figured it out. Had to be in my library and was in recent downloads.

14. Liana S. September 3, 2014 at 6:25 am

Thank you! I think everyone was downloading the latest version. It took a long time to download, but now that I have it, it’s amazing! Thank you so much for this video. You saved me a lot of work.

15. Jeanene September 11, 2014 at 9:41 am

Kerri – Thanks for posting this. I finally sat down to move a bunch of stuff from your store. I downloaded the latest version of the software (not designer edition) and unzipped all the files. I had no trouble moving the png files, but the SVG files all appear with an Internet Explorer icon and won’t move to the library. Do you have any idea what could be causing that?

• Kerri September 11, 2014 at 11:12 am

If you don’t have the Designer Edition, then you need to use the DXF files instead.
      Am I correct in reading that you don’t have DE?

16. Jeanene September 11, 2014 at 12:53 pm

That did the trick. Thank you!

17. Sharon Roselli January 5, 2015 at 7:10 pm

Can’t thank you enough for the tutorials. I am new to Silhouette Just got it for Christmas. Love the info i feel like I can try to do this stuff instead of being over whelmed. I will purchase and follow your blog forever because of this!

18. Dale Paulson July 14, 2015 at 7:11 pm

I just bought a bunch of the christmas files from your store. I am attempting to move them into the Silhouette library but I get a message that “the file type I am attempting to access is not supported” I have the latest version, I have unzipped the file, I have used your files previously, some work fine others get the same message. I am trying to use the DXF files but the png’s are not working either. I am currently trying it on Christmas Magic. Any suggestions of what is wrong?

• Kerri July 15, 2015 at 7:17 am

Out of curiosity, what happens if you try File/Open. I’d heard from someone else that after the update on their ‘critical update’ this summer, that they could no longer do a mass dump. I don’t know if it’s a glitch or going to be a new thing. I’m hoping it’s a glitch. But let me know what happens if you do the File/Open.