12 Days of Christmas | Day 4 | My Early Christmas Present

12days_2014-e1417401339341

Our 12 Days of Christmas event continues with a little unconventional Christmas present. It’s a little present to myself. The gift of recording…just for me.

I honestly can’t remember when the last time was that I scrapped something because I wanted to. While I’ve done many pages and it’s great, there’s always been some kind of reason that it needed to be done.

This is something I need to change.

I need to record just because I want to.

For a long time I’ve been longing to just get things printed and recorded. I’ve had the hugest hankering to use the Project Life method as the primary way. I have even been stocking up on various page protectors. Heck, I even got my little Epson Picture Mate Charm last year so that I could do it. And while I’ve used the heck out of it for work, I haven’t used it just for me.

So last week, in the middle of a ton of stuff going on, I was determined to carve out a little time to prove to myself that I could really do it.

A little gift to myself.

I think we all need something like that, don’t we?

I can’t tell you how happy it made me! I felt a sense of accomplishment in a way that I haven’t felt for a long time. It meant a great deal to me that I was able to do something without any other ulterior motive than I just wanted to do it.

I don’t get that often.

This past September we took a Sunday drive up to Mirror Lake and had a wonderful time! We packed stuff to make lunches, packed the dog, and ran up to the mountains about an hour+ away. We met Zach and his friend up there. They’d been camping and fishing. We ‘hiked’ around to some smaller ponds above Mirror Lake and it was just gorgeous!

While we did have our dog on a leash, this was his first real experience at being taken somewhere up in the mountains. Eventually we did just let him go because we were all alone. I know, sweet, right?  He was really good to stay with someone, and if we got out of sight, he got worried and would wait or look for us. He’s a pretty awesome dog. :)

The boys enjoyed their hands at fishing while we watched and visited and sat with the dog.

If I could just sit out in the mountains all day, I would.

Here’s a visual picture for y’all. It was all about keeping it simple and getting it done….I will neither confirm nor deny it took me longer than it should have. ;) But there were a lot of photos. I also have another 6×12 set of photos that aren’t included in this little ensemble.

mirror lake page 1 web
mirror lake page 2 web
mirror lake page 3 web

[ Designs | Dragonfly Card / Tiny Details (discover label) / Grateful (i love today) / File Folder Label (Here There Everywhere class) / Beautiful Somewhere (explorers wanted) ]

When I got that little Fee Area pass, I knew it had to go into this ensemble someday.  I mean seriously…perfect size! I did trim the top of it off–the part that hangs around your mirror. I also used a woodgrain star from my Studio Calico sequin stash. Love those!

I also liked the idea of mixing the spread up by including photos with white space–not just a white border–but white space. I think it adds a whole other level to what you’ve got goin’ on.

Again…kept it simple and sweet. And I love it.

It’s my early Christmas present to myself. And I think it’s going to become a New Years’ resolution.

I need to document more.

_________________

And now for the one-day-only freebie.

making-spirits-bright

Just a sweet sentiment for recording all your Christmas events.

This is no longer available as a freebie, but you can get it in the store HERE.

2017-05-19T13:35:57+00:00 December 4th, 2014|everyday life, project life|14 Comments

1. Melitta Ball December 4, 2014 at 9:42 am

Good for you to take some time for yourself Kerri, you should make a weekly habit of it! Love the layout too, you did a great job!
    Thanks for another great gift, I will make sure to put it to use!
    Many Blessings,
    Melitta

2. Sylvia December 4, 2014 at 10:24 am

Awesome! Thanks!!!

3. Rhonda J December 4, 2014 at 10:39 am

Thank you so much for the scrap inspiration and the free download.

4. Lorretta December 4, 2014 at 10:48 am

Good for you, Kerri! I hope you keep it up. = )

I love the layout and the Christmas freebies. The first thing I look forward to in the morning is checking your site for inspiration with a hot cup of coffee. “Making Spirits Bright” sure is a great statement for what your work does for me.

5. marcy e December 4, 2014 at 10:51 am

Good for you Kerri… It looks lovely… Living in the Chicago area, we don’t get to see mountains very often! Thanks for sharing… and for another fabulous freebie.

6. Melanie A. December 4, 2014 at 1:04 pm

Really love this one, thank you! I have really been missing my scrapping. I haven’t been able to get to my stuff because we have been remodeling bathrooms. I cannot wait to be able to dig in again and your layout has made me want to even more!

7. PaulaB December 4, 2014 at 1:10 pm

Love it! Thanks for the inspiration. Good for you to carve some time for you! Great work.

8. Sue W December 4, 2014 at 2:35 pm

It’s amazing how taking some time out to just relax with family can lift your spirits! Thanks for that reminder and for sharing your beautiful pages. Love the ‘clean and simple’ look let the pictures tell a story, perfect!
    Thank you for another pre Christmas gift…….who needs Santa?

9. Sharee December 4, 2014 at 4:05 pm

I’m hearing you on making time to do what you love. I made a goal in January to make SIGNIFICANT progress on my kids scrapbooks and sad to say, I haven’t got much done this year. As I think about that goal and why that didn’t happen, I can give you all kinds of reasons…some within my control and others not. But I do know that when I make time to scrapbook, that feeling returns of how much I love messing with photos, paper, and adhesive. For me there is great joy in reliving and recording those stories. As I scrapbook, I am always taken back to when my kids were younger and all of the memories and fun times we have created as a family. (and all of the great memories that are happening now while they are teenagers) These are moments I don’t want to forget. I need to be better about guarding a day a week to do what I love. I need to recommit myself that those things that I love to do matter. They are worth postponing or bumping something else on my calendar. Thanks for the reminder to do what you love! And as always…thanks for the great freebies. Merry Christmas!

10. Betsy December 4, 2014 at 4:38 pm

What wonderful pages, Kerri! I just love them. Certainly looks like a day to remember.

Thank you for the bright and cheery cut file!

11. Cindy December 4, 2014 at 5:24 pm

Before I forget I want to thank you for these wonderful freebies!
    I’m sure it doesn’t really matter how long (or not) it took for you to make your PL pages, at least you got your pictures PRINTED and you were able to TELL your story. That’s most important! I must say, you did a terrific job and I’m loving your layout. Looking forward to seeing more next year. Besides, we all need to do a little something for ourselves.

12. Trish December 4, 2014 at 5:57 pm

What gorgeous pictures of your glorious day! Thank you for sharing and thank you for another wonderful freebie!

13. Tracy December 4, 2014 at 6:30 pm

Thanks so much! Awesome photos…love your layouts! Thanks for the inspiration.

14. sherrygrove December 4, 2014 at 7:28 pm

good for you! It’s exciting to sit down with paper and photos; I too need to do it more often! So glad it was a great experience. And thanks once again for the freebie.