One Little Word Check In

Do  you ever feel like you’ve lost a spark? I don’t want to say your spark, because I think we all have several sparks inside that appear or are a part of us at random times. But something in the ‘I used to be outgoing’ department seems to have left the building on a temporary basis? Okay, so maybe ‘temporary’ may be more semi-permanent of late. Temporary in dog years?

I don’t know if it’s because I’m feeling like I’m reclusive–in part by lack of transportation and in part by being glued to my work–but I don’t feel the same as I have felt in the past.

Recently I taught The History Project to 50-ish women at our church…and I felt the spark. That tiny little glimmer of being engaged with laughter and conversation and having fun with women I’ve known for a long time…many for 20+ years. I haven’t felt that in a long time. It was especially fun when I even had the resident sweetheart ‘a bit older’ lady doing a little ‘head banging’ (okay, nodding) to some Bohemian Rhapsody. That was delightful.

And last week, I was taking dinner to a sweet friend who’d lost her father. I don’t feel like I’d been out of the house in ages, except for church, much less had driven as far as her house 20 minutes away. It was a beautiful evening. As I stood on the front porch waiting at the other friend’s house who was contributing the dinner, I looked out at the valley in the evening light and just soaked it in.

I definitely don’t get out enough.

Sometimes I look back at old blog posts and feel, ‘Hey, I used to write some fun stuff.’ Sharing more than just the usual work stuff.

Where did that go?

Is it because I’m getting older?

Is it because I’ve lost some spark?

I can’t even watch tv and listen to music like I used to, especially when I work. Quiet or reruns is the only thing that I can handle much of, and that’s not much. And because I do like it quiet, and my house is not with three college students coming and going with school and work, I find myself up on my bed working. (Okay, so maybe I may have flannel pj bottoms on too. It’s so much more comfortable to sit on the bed with those on.)

Wrong place to be and probably wrong things to wear.

I miss that spark that used to be such a big part of me.

I make goals and have all the motivation in the world to capture more of life, but as I look down at one of the many incomplete projects, I think to myself, ‘I’m still in the same rut.’

How do I find the balance between work and life?

Many of you that work at home totally know what I’m talking about.

I want to read. I want to crochet. I want to scrap.

So, in an effort to begin taking my One Little Word to heart, I downloaded the Kindle app to my iPad.

I am going to read. Just adding it to my iPad felt a bit liberating. I feel like if a ‘book’ is at my fingertips now, I will be more inclined to read it. In a couple weeks though when I’m not so busy. Baby steps. ;)

As it starts to get warmer–or stay warmer–I am going to work outside.

I am going to scrap more. I loved making the mini album in this week’s post!

And, I’m going to pull those three lines of crochet, that the ‘resident older lady’ taught me how to do a year and a half ago, out of my bag that’s been sitting by my bed and I am going to work on it instead of my computer–even if it’s just for an hour.

I need to make myself have a life that’s not at the keyboard.

That is not capturing life.

And I need to live my OLW.

That is, after all, why I chose it.

2017-05-18T18:14:52+00:00 February 25th, 2015|everyday life|8 Comments

1. Dionne February 25, 2015 at 8:32 am

Hi Kerri,
    I love your OLW for this year. I can relate to not feeling the spark at the moment and not quite being my old self. I was reading recently on a couple of blogs (Jennifer Turner and Ali Edwards I think) about our lives seeming to have seasons and feel that this is one of them for me. There will be others and it may not always be this way as the seasons change. Like you, I’m trying to get out more and make more time and effort to be with people who foster that spark in me.

One of my goals this year is to read more as well. I’ve chosen to read for 30 minutes and if that much time isn’t available then at least a chapter. I find that because I’ve chosen to do this that I’m using my small pockets of time for this more often.

Good luck with your goals and keeping your spark lit.

2. Sally February 25, 2015 at 8:47 am

I completely relate. I have been feeling a lot of the same things, just different circumstances, and I feel like something has been missing. It’s that spark. I just couldn’t put it in words and you found them for me. Thank you.

3. Laura K February 25, 2015 at 10:36 am

I have been wanting to read more too but have been so busy getting ready to start my own small business. Most of it is creating where I don’t have to use too much brain power and I have found that audiobooks have been an awesome addition to my day. I can listen to them while I create and get two things done at once and if I find my attention to the book has been drifting, I can just rewind a bit. It seems less chaotic to me than watching shows while I work. Just thought I would share something that works for me. Maybe it would work for you too!

4. Lori February 25, 2015 at 1:07 pm

From your home/home office out west to mine here on the east coast, your words echo my own feelings and have touched my heart. It is good to know I am not alone. Lots of unfinished projects and missing mojo… Thank you for being so candid. It is helpful!

5. Sharee February 25, 2015 at 3:39 pm

Love this…

6. Elaine S February 25, 2015 at 9:18 pm

Thank you for sharing this. It gave me a jolt and make me think. I need to make some changes in my life. I spend too much time on the computer. There are so many other things I want to do in life. I’ll start with baby steps like you and try to make better choices with my time. I start tomorrow with a short walk outside to begin a journey to a healthier life.

7. Crystal Muirhead February 25, 2015 at 10:52 pm

Wow. You snuck into my brain and put my feelings into words. I have suffered from seasonal affective disorder (aka the winter blues) for ages but the past two years have been the worst. I started my antidepressant in October like always but it seems to not be working. I go a couple of weeks at a time without ever leaving the house, days without leaving the bed. Last week I decided enough was enough. A friend talked me into taking a painting class that starts tomorrow and will meet twice weekly for 12 weeks. Another friend is starting a book club and she asked me to find the first book for the diverse group of people. I feel empowered nuts that I have reasons to leave, reasons to get out of bed! I purchased all the supplies for the painting class at a real store, nut an online store. I’m doing more than reading quick, mind numbing books; I’m choosing the titles carefully and taking notes. Small steps but forward steps. Thank you for this post. I know I’m not alone. Next step: enter dinner card challenges. I’ve always wanted to do it but never felt I was good enough to put myself out there. It’s time to stop being afraid of my own shadow and just DO!

8. Kathleen March 12, 2015 at 7:51 pm

I’ve lost my spark…there is something missing. I’ve not wanted to put words to the feeling or feelings. Thought it was the blues of my 50’s, losing my mother and having a daughter that is now in high school and doesn’t really need much from me anymore. The spark is gone. I’m trying, but it is oh so hard some days.