Photography + Lessons Learned The Hard Way

One of my favorite parts of New Orleans was going to Lafayette Cemetery, which is locoed in the Garden District. For anyone going to New Orleans and wanting to see the St. Louis Cemetery 1 in Jackson Square, as of March 1 you have to have a tour guide and the one we inquired about was $26 a person!!! We didn’t know this until we’d walked clear over to it from Jackson Square. Being hot and a little tired, we weren’t exactly keen on searching for one and got on the Hop On Hop Off buss right there.

We really wanted to see a cemetery, and so we thought we’d research the other free ones later. As luck would have it, we chatted with a cute little family who were going to the Lafayette Cemetery the next day. When I looked it up, it was just a few blocks from our hotel!

So we opted to go at 8 a.m. the next morning and it couldn’t have been any better. We literally had the place to ourselves except a couple people. It was cool, it was shady, it was empty….sweet! The St. Louis one was crowded, no shade, mid-day….so our serendipitous trip to Lafayette was doubly delightful.

Lesson Learned (or so I hope)

But here’s the lesson I’ve learned. I have a tendency to set a low aperture number on my  camera thinking I’ll get a more artistic shot that way as well as I feel like the lighting will be better in shaded spots. I need to remember to NOT do this in every situation because in a place like the cemetery, it should be more in focus across the board. If I need to, I should set a little higher ISO to compensate. And it seems like it looks good on that little screen. Ohhhh…why must I learn these things the hard way.

Let’s see if I can smack that into my brain.

Here’s one of my favorite shots…even if it isn’t 100% sharp across the board. (The middle is sharp. I am kind of kicking myself.) I played with it and got three color choices.

Which do you prefer?

cemetery1-web
cemetery1a-web
cemetery1b-web

2017-05-18T17:53:36+00:00 March 20th, 2015|photography, travel|28 Comments

1. Barbara Santee March 20, 2015 at 8:28 am

I love the middle photo. Beautiful!

2. Suz March 20, 2015 at 8:52 am

I like the first one. I like the little unexpected pop of turquoise.

3. Melissa W March 20, 2015 at 9:12 am

The first one grabs my attention. I don’t know why maybe the turquoise does it for me. :)

4. Barbara D March 20, 2015 at 9:45 am

The first one did catch my eye – lovely colours and it was first, but I like the mood of the second one the best.

5. Michelle Bradtke March 20, 2015 at 9:54 am

First choice: #1 because of the pop of color. But love the b/w for the mood it sets!

6. Kate Kohner March 20, 2015 at 10:27 am

#1 is my favorite. The colors are so subtle and I love the turquoise hue that the photo has. Perfect.

7. Cathy Doerr March 20, 2015 at 12:53 pm

I went to Lafayette cemetery while in NO. I heard it is one of the safer ones to go to. I love the colors of the middle photo. I think they all look great. PS I had to get my calculator out to answer the spam question. Ha.

8. Brenda March 20, 2015 at 12:54 pm

I love the first one. It really catches my eye and just draws me in more than the other 2.

9. Brenda D March 20, 2015 at 12:58 pm

Love the tones on the 1st one.

10. rhonda March 20, 2015 at 1:54 pm

Number 1!!

11. Linda Johnson March 20, 2015 at 2:44 pm

I like the colors in the first; I always love bright colors! The second photo probably sets the cemetary mood better, and with just a few pope of color. The last has its place on a very colorful background. Guess it depends where you are going to put them!!

12. Cheryl Laurent March 20, 2015 at 2:53 pm

All 3 are beautiful. My eye keeps going to the second one, it looks so real.

13. Jen Hayes March 20, 2015 at 4:16 pm

My order of preference: 1,2,3. Love the shot.

14. Tracy March 20, 2015 at 6:46 pm

I like #2 the best but I do love the vivid colors in the first one. Looks like an awesome place.

15. Sue FitzGerald March 20, 2015 at 6:59 pm

I love the first one, that kind of vintage colour pop, a bit like old film. I don’t mind the bit of bokeh, stops it from being a stock standard photo and makes the row look a lot longer. But then I’m someone who likes to shoot wide open a lot of the time too :-)

16. Colleen March 21, 2015 at 5:09 am

Love, love, love the color pop of the first one. The second one is pretty nice too.

17. Kitty March 21, 2015 at 7:40 am

I LOVE the second one I love the pop of red It make you look all around the whole picture

18. Kathy Meredith March 21, 2015 at 8:41 am

I love the second one. That pop of teal jumped tight out at me.

19. Ruth G March 21, 2015 at 3:46 pm

I love saturated color, and so the first one is my favorite. Also, I’m in love with the little tufts of plants peeking out of the cracks in the stone walkways and in the niches. It adds such life to this place. I also find that the strong turquoise at the end of the shot leads the eye through the photo. I’m not a photographer, though, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt.

Thanks so much for sharing! This looks like a wonderful place!

20. Marilyn March 22, 2015 at 6:41 am

I like the second one. My eyes kept going to the first one, but looking at the three pictures I love #2. Great picture!

21. vicki March 22, 2015 at 6:52 pm

I think it’s a beautiful photo all three ways but I think number 2 is my favorite, but number one is a very close second!

22. Sandy March 23, 2015 at 5:55 am

I definitely like the first one. I think there is a certain place where pictures like the second one can be used…like greeting cards. There is so much beautiful detail and shading to be seen that the first picture brings it out best.

23. michelle t. March 23, 2015 at 12:58 pm

I really loved the first one, then I saw the second one. It’s beautiful. I think your photography is so lovely. Michelle t

24. Audrey March 23, 2015 at 8:20 pm

Definitely the first one….

25. Irene March 25, 2015 at 5:00 am

Gorgeous photos–if I had to choose, it would be the second one. It captures the mood for me. Makes me reminiscent of living in New Orleans and going to Easter sunrise service in a Jefferson Parish cemetery (in a suburb of New Orleans.) Inspiring setting!

26. Ann Marshall Grigsby March 26, 2015 at 9:48 pm

The middle photo is probably most appealing to me: the light is soft and the colors muted as though hand tinted, lending a vintage, somewhat ghostly aura that befits the subject matter. In the first photo, the spots of bright color jump into the eye in jarring contrast to the predominant grays. The third photo’s black-and-white gradations are easier to behold, with no bright color points to assault the eye. Yet here the whites are stark and the darks indistinct, yielding a lifeless, lonely scene of solitude, appropriate perhaps, but just a bit too cold for comfort.

27. Rhadonda March 27, 2015 at 5:52 am

Love your narrative. Such a cool cemetery. My 2 cents, I like the top one, love the colors of the moss and the flowers and the texture on the stones. Love how the path leads your eye in. Awesome!

28. Karen Peterson April 4, 2015 at 12:30 pm

I love the top one with the turquoise and the red flowers; visited the cemetery when I was in Mississippi for school. Interesting city ;)