Struggles + Sweetness + Amsterdam

For the past week I’ve been having some struggles on the business side of life. Something that is out of my control. It’s something that’s been eating at me, but last night I think it finally got to me. I went to bed feeling so much anger + frustration and then of course woke up with the same anger + frustration. These kinds of feelings are not normal for me. I’m usually a very easy-going, go-with-the-flow kind of gal. I usually have the attitude of ‘it is what it is’ as well as ‘there’s a reason for everything.’

But I think it all came to a head and I just couldn’t take it anymore.
Lots of ‘whys’ and ‘I just don’t get its.’

It was my own little contained moment of anger in the darkness of my room and the comfort of my bed, but not the best medicine for trying to get to sleep. Finally I had to turn on Netflix on my iPhone to take my mind off my feelings.

This morning I still had those feelings, but not quite as strong.
Perhaps an anger hangover?

Then I received this sweet message from someone in my email when I opened my computer:

Kerri, I can’t wait for the newest DE class for Silhouette. I love love love your classes! So perfect for my style of learning. I appreciate your gift and I am so glad to learn from you. Besides, it’s coming at a time that I’ll need to be preoccupied – kids going back to school and off to college and all. I get a little ‘down’. So this class will perk me up and give me stuff to look forward to.

It was just what I needed. I get many sweet comments, but this was what I needed…right now…right this morning…when I needed it most. She thinks I’m helping her, but it’s actually she that helped me…in a way she’ll never truly know.

It touched me in a way that brought me back to reality and to know that there is no doubt that I love what I do and that it has purpose.

This is proof that we are all here for each other in this life. Whether it’s work or home, or family, friends or strangers, we can uplift one another in the smallest of ways and make the world–and each other’s lives–better.

Today’s challenge is to be positive. Give someone a compliment or some words of encouragement. Go with your feelings because more than likely, who you are thinking of is the one really needing it.

And now, because I don’t like having a post without a photo, and yesterday I was daydreaming about spending a month in Amsterdam or Paris or both and was actually looking at prices on Airbnb (is that avoidance?), here’s a picture of Amsterdam. A city I didn’t get to spend near enough time in. And this is a photo I took eight years ago and have hanging in my front room :)

holland-bridge-3

2017-05-18T07:41:40+00:00 August 12th, 2015|everyday life|18 Comments

1. Lynda Callan Griffith August 12, 2015 at 8:54 am

Your classes have given me so much confidence and with that the freedom to create. I look forward to your Friday Freebies, your blog and just the way you design inspiration. Thank, thank, thank you.

A loyal fan for 3+ years.

2. Lucinde | Lucilight August 12, 2015 at 9:19 am

I love all the beautiful blogs you make :) So glad that she found the words you needed at the moment. And so funny to see a picture of Amsterdam on your blog ;) I’m from the Netherlands and I have to admit that I haven’t been in Amsterdam for the last… 8 years I think. But it is a really beautiful city ;).

• Kerri August 12, 2015 at 9:27 am

Thanks Lucinde! And one day I will make it back to that beautiful country of yours! We also spent a couple days in Egmond Aan Zee. Loved it!

3. Dolly August 12, 2015 at 9:54 am

Big hugs to you Kerri!
    Never lose site of the fact that “we” your adoring fans love ‘ya and all of your fabulous work that you do to provide us with the MOST GORGEOUS of all cutting files!! :D
    Wishing you head to bed with a glowing heart for all the rest of your nights and not an angered one! :D

• Kerri August 12, 2015 at 10:05 am

Dolly….you’re awesome! :)

• Lorretta Shughrue August 12, 2015 at 11:20 am

Wow! Well Said! Ditto that! =) xo

4. Robin G August 12, 2015 at 10:43 am

Kerri, I can SOOOO relate!!! Yesterday was a very trying day at work (and we own our business too!). And we’ve had several of those lately, ugh! But this morning, even though it was kinda crazy busy, we had pleasant customers, and some compliments, and it’s always great to see return clients who appreciate us!!

ON a ‘scrappy’ note, this is one of my favorite places to come and see what you are up too! (I check almost daily!) We’ve done away with internet at our house (I emailed you several months ago and you helped me figure out how to save things I needed to, before the big ‘do away with it’ day, lol). So I check when I can from work.
    All that to say, you’ve helped me immensely, not only with learning my cameo (THANK YOU), but from a ‘making happy things’ place! And I Love You for that! {big happy face!}
    SO THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, for all that you do!!!
    I hope you have a great day!!

• Kerri August 12, 2015 at 6:03 pm

It’s a tough gig to have you own business, isn’t it. I’m glad you had some nice customers come your way. Thank you so much for your kind words today too!

5. Sue Kimmet August 12, 2015 at 1:34 pm

Kerri, I am a high school special education teacher. I will be retiring at the end of this new school year. What do I plan to do with my time? Take your classes. I have tried a couple but never have time to finish, so I cannot wait. Teaching is about the best thing any of us can do and you do it well. Thank you!

• Kerri August 12, 2015 at 6:04 pm

Thank you so much Sue!!
      And I envy your retirement just a little. ;)

6. Ruby August 12, 2015 at 4:25 pm

Thank you for the gentle reminder Kerri that everyone needs a lift from time to time. I’m glad you shared your feelings.

Ruby

7. donna c August 12, 2015 at 4:43 pm

Kerri…..other than your brilliant classes, cut files, and art projects, the other brilliant, awesome thing about you is that you are so REAL!!! Thank you for sharing with us, and keepin’ it classy at the same time!!!
    Can’t wait for class! Even though I return to work with the new school year, I’ll still get a good week to play before it starts! :)#happydance!

• Kerri August 12, 2015 at 6:05 pm

Donna…you so made my day!
      Thanks for the sweet words. :)

8. Lara August 12, 2015 at 11:45 pm

when I read this post this morning I felt so sad. It sounded like things were going great from the post during your bday celebration. I hope so much for you that it will all work out for the best for you. You deserve it!! Your eye for art and style are amazing. The day I got to meet you is one of the highlights of my life. You are a celebrity in my eyes. Stay strong and keep pushing forward.

• Kerri August 13, 2015 at 6:42 am

Awwww, thanks Laura! It was so fun meeting you that day too! Just to let you know, the business, classes, stamps, all that are doing great! It was just an extended piece of the business where something fell through due to something else that was not in my control–and frankly, shouldn’t have happened. And it had been an accumulation of things in that arena. Nothing I want to expound on, but you get the general idea. Don’t worry. I ain’t goin’ nowhere. :)

9. Karen Peterson August 22, 2015 at 12:53 pm

So sweet and one thing I notice is when I compliment someone else on something it always makes me feel better;) I have missed the opening day/week of the class and can’t wait to dive in today!!