Gold Is The New Black

I am a huge fan of white. If you’ve been with me a while here, you know that, right? And I love black and white. I love the classic simplicity there.

But now?

Gold is the new black.

gold-3x4-cards

[ Digital Stamps | Twinkle / Thankful / Nowadays ]

I’ve you’ve been following me on social media, you’ll see that the ‘golden’ age of KBS has begun to unfold. It appears that since I got my HP LaserJet 1102w for Christmas, that I can’t stop making shiny things with the printer and my Minc.

It’s pretty funny because on our way home from getting the printer at Best Buy, a commercial came on where two guys were talking about what they were getting their wives for Christmas. One tells the other he bought his wife a printer and his friend responds ‘Dude! You don’t buy your wife a printer for Christmas! That’s what you want. She doesn’t want that! Get her some jewelry from ____ .’ And I’m laughing at Dan saying ‘Yes I do want the printer!’ It gives me shiny stuff on demand and you can’t beat that.

I love this printer! I bought it because Heidi Swapp said that’s the printer she had and it worked beautifully. I’d noticed in other comments that people had other laser printers that didn’t work as well. So I figured, why tempt the LaserJet gods? Just get the same one.

I’d heard rumors of people getting it around $80. I saw it on Amazon for that–give or take–during the holiday season. I really wanted to buy it local though. Something about having a printer shipped from an unknown source unnerved me.  So I began watching my local places that had an online presence. Then one day…Best Buy…had them on sale for 69.99. Bingo! I purchased it online to pick up in the store. The store prices were higher. So watch for that.

Before I had the laser printer, I had my son make copies where he works. They use Hammermill Color Copy Digital Cover, 80lb weight. And I’ll tell you right now…I am a paper snob. I love good feeling paper. And this stuff is dreamy! I will neither confirm nor deny some fondling of the open stock at the paper store.

It works beautifully with the printer+Minc combo!
And I’m also loving it for stamping too.

One thing to note. The printer is an older model. It’s been out a few years. On the box it said it didn’t even support my 10.8.5 Mac–which is three years old. And to be honest, I didn’t even look at the box. With most printers you can just get updated drivers online. No such luck with this one–at least for my Mac anyway. Lots of research and frustration led me to call HP for help. I am technically savvy, mind you, so not finding the answer was a bit frustrating. When I called HP, they had me go through the System Preferences/Print+Scan and add the printer there. Additionally, we went into the Utility for the printer which opened a window in Google (not online though) but one that produces a window to make changes so you can add it to WiFi. I never would have figured that out, not to mention I found  no information telling me to do that.

So now it’s all wireless and I’m in heaven! Ever since we upgraded to a Time Capsule for a router a couple years ago, I couldn’t get the old printer to print Wi-Fi…or at all, it seemed. So we’d just plug into my Epson 1400 Photo printer (had for years) and use it as needed.

But now with my new LaserJet printer, I couldn’t be any happier. And yes, I do have a Minc addiction. I know it. I admit it whole heartedly and without shame. Combine it with my affinity for tags and all things white, and you get this.

golden-tags

[ Digital Stamps | Tagged / Yesterday (currently+favorite) / One Fine Day (happy stuff) ]

My plan is to add kraft reinforcements whenever I get them from Thatch+Thistle.

You know, I thought I loved white, white+white, white+black….but you pop that into shiny gold? Ohhhhh my gosh! I can’t even express how much I love it! The camera…the little plus sign border…the tiny words…holy cow!

And how fun will it be to give the shiny Thank You and To/From tags to friends? They will think you bought them.

The only thing I don’t like about the gold?
Photographing it.
It ain’t easy. ;)

But I’m feelin’ the gold, baby!

2017-05-16T21:21:26+00:00January 12th, 2016|printables, technology|19 Comments

1. Pat January 12, 2016 at 11:28 am

I am just as in love with the white and gold as you are!

One thing we did around the holidays though, was use black cardstock with the gold in the Minc. Results were CLASSY.

2. KathyL January 12, 2016 at 1:06 pm

I’ve been looking for a laser printer for the Minc too. Can you feed the paper from the rear? I’m a little nervous of the driver issue. Not sure I would know how to connect it though.

• Kerri January 12, 2016 at 1:14 pm

Um, not sure on feeding from the rear. I know it feeds from the front. I’ll have to go check on that ‘rear’ thing, but I don’t think there’s that alternative.

As for the driver, I think if you contacted HP when you set it up, they would be able to help you. I kept my box in the event I had to return it. But alas, all worked out beautifully and it’s totally worth it. :) And I would say that if you can’t get it hooked up right away, don’t waste your time trying to figure it out, just call them.

• KathyL January 12, 2016 at 1:34 pm

Kerri, I like rear feeding because sometimes the paper is too thick to go through. Did you use 80lb paper? No issues? Thanks

• Kerri January 12, 2016 at 2:07 pm

Oh, that 80lb cardstock goes through just beautifully.
          I haven’t tried American Crafts or Bazzill because I need the smooth for the Minc.
          I’d assume it would work.

3. Lisa January 12, 2016 at 1:19 pm

Do you have issues with the HP crashing when you go to print? I was looking at getting a brother since those are more compatible with macs. Currently I have an old hp (11yrs) and that is the issue I have.

• Kerri January 12, 2016 at 2:10 pm

I haven’t had a problem yet. I hope I don’t either… :)
      I know Heidi has a Mac, so I would think it worked well.

4. Claire January 12, 2016 at 1:26 pm

This might be a dumb question, but how do you get gold ink from a printer?

• Kerri January 12, 2016 at 2:10 pm

You use a machine called Minc to get the gold. It’s kind of like a laminator. But you print something that uses toner, like this LaserJet, and then you trim yourself a piece of the foil, lay it on top of the image and into the mat. Then run it through the Minc machine and voila! It’s all shiny and new…literally. :) Heidi Swapp has a whole line of stuff and it’s amazing!

5. katy January 12, 2016 at 4:21 pm

Thanks so much for this. I’ve been dying to try foiling, but the need for a laser printer had me hesitating. I too have a 10.8.5 mac and I’m thrilled to know that this printer will work with both card stock and my computer.

As you have to feed the paper from the front, does it curl much after going through the printer?

• Kerri January 12, 2016 at 4:27 pm

It does have a little curl to it, but with a slight curl by hand the other way as well as putting it through the Minc, it’s pretty flat.

6. vicki doyle January 12, 2016 at 6:24 pm

OMG I asked for a laser printer for Christmas also – and got it!! And for the very same reason! Happy new year – hope it’s a glittery, shiny year for us both.

7. Sharon Field January 12, 2016 at 6:37 pm

I did all of my Christmas cards using my laser printer and the Minc. Everyone thought I had bought them!

• Kerri January 12, 2016 at 6:50 pm

Ooooh, that sounds amazing!

8. Kendra January 13, 2016 at 12:05 pm

Thanks for the paper recommendation. This paper is also gorgeous. Perfect for the Minc or for beautiful stamping. But now I need to pick up a ream of the other one and compare. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013VC2NI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_13&smid=A19O8S2ZV3VYDM

9. SusanP January 27, 2016 at 9:25 am

Hi Kerri! I am looking to get this same printer. As far as foiling with your stamps, do you stamp first, then scan it in on your printer to print it out so it has toner, or are you just using the digital stamps to print? Thanks!

• Kerri January 27, 2016 at 12:05 pm

I use the digital stamps. I think if you were to try and stamp the image and scan it in to ‘make’ a digital image, you wouldn’t get as true of an image. Loving this printer! Loving my Minc! :)

• Kay February 4, 2016 at 10:43 am

You can foil directly from the stamped image by using either a glue pad or sticky powder.

10. […] If you don’t have a cutter, you can print it in black onto a transparency–either at home if you have the supplies or take the PNG image to a copy center and have them do it for you. Even more awesome? If you happen to have a Minc, use that toner-created image (laserjet or copy center) with some gold foil and run it though your Minc. If you don’t know what a Minc is, be sure to check out this post HERE. […]