Over Hill + Dale

If you’ve been watching social media, you know that I took a little getaway to California to visit family over the past long weekend. I wanted to make it a goal to take more video and have some fun learning how to do all that–just using my iPhone. I also thought it would be fun to show the actual drive, for those that don’t live ’round these parts.

I didn’t realize just how much footage I took of driving down there…and actually wish I would have taken more! I wish I would have captured more of the towns we drive by because I actually think it’s pretty cool to document a road you travel often (in particular). I had just been commenting to my girls about how the freeway used to be a highway through some parts of the state. We used to drive through the town of Nephi on our way to or from St. George and we’d stop to get an ice cream cone with my grandparents. I remember sitting in the shade and eating the cone.

Things change. Places change. The simple life gets more complicated, yet streamlined. I miss the simple life.

I’m also always fascinated by the scenery. I’ve done my fair share of traveling–by road–all my life. I love it. I love seeing what this world has to offer. And I don’t get bored looking out the window either. I’m completely content poring over all the hills and dales of the country. My mom used to even have us count the waterfalls when we’d travel from the west side of Oregon over to visit cousins on the east side (or on to Idaho to see the grandparents).

Good times.

So here is my first video masterpiece (ha ha). It’s my very first attempt using iMovie on my iPhone. It actually works pretty easily! If you haven’t given it a try…do! You could take video of anything. Then just start pushing buttons in the program and you can figure it out pretty easily. :)

I do want to try something more advanced sometime….baby steps though, right?

Oh, and you’ll have to forgive the increasing amount of bug splats on the windshield. It is our actual view. ;) Any guesses as to what song we’re listening to during the ‘head banging’ segment? It’s kind of hard to record and hold the phone at the same time (ha ha). And if you’re wondering what the big tall ‘post’ thing is in there, it’s a giant thermometer in Baker, California. We always guess what the temp will be.

2017-05-15T09:04:11+00:00May 19th, 2016|travel|10 Comments

1. Stacey May 19, 2016 at 7:07 am

Very cool, and beautiful. Did you record this in iMovie or in the camera app? I made a mini album about 10 years dedicated to my favourite road. You are right, so many things do change along the way.

• Kerri May 19, 2016 at 7:27 am

I just used the regular camera app and then brought them into the iMovie app on my phone. :)

2. Lori May 19, 2016 at 7:46 am

I know that drive so well. I’m a Utah girl who’s lived in Southern CA for the past 22 years. I’ve lost count of how many times we’ve driven that route. We’ll have to try taking some video on our next trip.
    I like how it turned out!

3. Judy May 19, 2016 at 8:41 am

I enjoy taking road trips and enjoying the scenery along the way. Thanks for sharing your iMovie project. I need to try that this summer on our vacation. I enjoyed your music selection throughout “our” ride. : )

4. Betsy May 19, 2016 at 12:41 pm

Nice job! I enjoyed your video. I’d like to see a map of the route you took. Would make a good scrapbook page.

5. Phyllis Beaver May 19, 2016 at 1:13 pm

Fun for this mid-western girl to see your part of the country! Thanks!

6. Trish May 19, 2016 at 4:52 pm

How wonderful! I love that part of the world and this video makes me yearn not only for being there again, but that time with my girls when they were between Grown up and Fully grown up, when we had time together just Mom and her daughters. You didn’t know you were going to make me cry, did you? Tears of joy and gratitude…

7. Marilyn May 20, 2016 at 6:08 am

Very scenic! Thanks for sharing Kerri!

8. Kary May 22, 2016 at 2:55 pm

I’ve long lost count of the number of times I’ve taken that drive–and I also remember when I-15 wasn’t done and I drove through Nephi. We live in Colorado and are heading to Orem (to visit family) and then to LA (to visit more family) next week. No surprise to see that Utah is STILL doing roadwork in the Virgin River Narrows! What’s it been 3 or 4 years now?!! Ha! So fun to see that drive via video–thanks for sharing.

9. karen peterson May 27, 2016 at 10:52 am

How awesome is this!!! I love that you documented this and even included the reluctant parties ;) I have driven from Vegas to points in California many a summer with my kids and my mom; she passed away this past December and I wish I had a capture like this. You have an amazing family and these ordinary moments are such treasures!! I am feeling very inspired to document now!! I’ll start one this weekend with my husband and mines trip to Sitka for king fishing ;)