Death and Taxes

As I was laying in bed and finishing Survivor last night (ohhh Malcom!), all I could think of was how my day felt like the phrase, death and taxes.

I’m not dying any time soon (or so I hope), but as I shared on social media yesterday, I had quite an episode when having some blood drawn for tests. I think I scared the poor nurse to death as she went to get me some water because I wasn’t feeling well and she came back to find me kneeling with my head on my hands on the floor, doing my best not to pass out. She was so sweet and kind as she grabbed a coke and then ran to the cafeteria for a piece of bacon and a couple potatoes. Weird that they don’t have juice on hand there.

Many factors came into play for that moment to happen. I couldn’t eat that morning for one of the blood tests and I am most likely anemic. Wrap all that up into the fact that needles are not my favorite thing and voila. You get me on the floor hoping to keep control of myself.

I actually haven’t been feeling well for a couple weeks due to ‘prolonged + excessive’ womanly issues for the past month. When you’re pretty much a clock-work kind of gal and all this happens, all you want to do is get things to stop. It got to the point where I actually made a womanly doctor’s appointment.

And you have to know, this girl never goes to the doctor. The last time I had a checkup was after the birth of my last child 22+ years ago. It takes a lot for me to even take pain medication. And with the exception of an occasional cold and a hernia, I’m a pretty healthy gal.

So for me to actually admit that I need an appointment is kind of a big deal. ;)

And luckily all the stars aligned for me so that I could do a real exam and not just a consult. I figured that if I didn’t get it done now then who knew when I would actually get in there again. It would probably be another 23 years.

Yeah. It’s like that.

So of course it involves blood work to make sure that every aspect of my body is fine. And again, I figured I might as well do the other set of blood work for cholesterol, diabetes…all the stuff outside the realm of the main womanly issues, like thyroid. If I’m gonna be there, I might as well do it all, right?

And that is where yesterday all comes into play. Taking four vials of blood from this already weak gal? I felt like death.

That kind of thing takes a lot out of a gal. The only problem was, it was time for the tax man that afternoon and I still had work to do. So I sat in my chair and just slowly chipped away at the figures. I managed to sneak in a little nap–in the chair–as I could see that I was pretty close. Figured I could wrap it up after a few winks. I was just so tired after the blood draw. And when you don’t feel well, all you want to do is sleep and hide yourself in the comfort of your bed.

I thought about canceling, but in the end I was just like, buck up kid…just get ‘er done.

I did have my daughter drive me there though as a precaution. (Dan was working.)

And for the first time in I don’t know how many years, we actually get a small (teeny tiny) refund! That is the silver lining to my business not being in business the last quarter. Not that I ever want to find myself there again, mind you. :)

The happiest of news followed by pjs and climbing into bed for the rest of the evening. More happiness. I’d been waiting all day.

So I’m wondering, am I the only that avoids going to the doctor? My husband and I both never go. I feel like if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. But we’re both in our 50s now. I’m sure we should be more attentive to our health.

What do you do?

2017-05-09T11:16:00+00:00 March 23rd, 2017|everyday|14 Comments

1. Cindy March 23, 2017 at 8:20 am

You’ve had a scare – glad you are okay! To answer your query:

Quite a few doctors are true healers. Others have ex-spouses, that third house in Aspen, two kids at Harvard plus jet skis at the beach house to pay for. It’s a business. No you’re not the only one who avoids them.

What I do: Paleo – 80/20 – not 100% for me – visit Mark’s Daily Apple blog…but I can’t live without pasta. So I learned about resistant starch for rice, potatoes and pasta. Also learn about fermented foods and gut bacteria. This approach helped me.

I used to run 5K’s to keep the weight off. Now that I’m closer to 50 and my knees and hips are more mature (to put it nicely), I do yoga and kickboxing – there is a large bag with base filled with 300 pounds of sand – wrap your hands like a pro (there are great videos showing this) and slip them into real boxing gloves. We use our hands for creating and any other glove you are asking for injury in my opinion. Yoga is wonderful – it helped me with balance.

Playing with paper and doing what we do is the best thing for an active mind, and that is half the battle as we age. Good luck to you!

2. Brenda March 23, 2017 at 9:24 am

I’m not big on going to the doctors (kind of ironic since my oldest is in his 3rd year of med school! LOL) I do go to my gyn once a year & unfortunately since I am newly on very low dose of cholesterol meds will have to do blood test every 6 months – UGH!! Being 52 ain’t easy for us non-doctor going people.

3. Jean March 23, 2017 at 10:14 am

I have always had regular physicals especially since my sister who never went and discovered she had diabetes, needed a quadruple bypass and laser eye treatments because she had let it go so long. She was only in her early forties but had never gone to the doctor since she was a kid.

4. Jenny March 23, 2017 at 10:21 am

I’ve had to be at the doctor more often than that, but I found (since I’ve been in your blood giving position before and one time I had to lie down in the middle of the waiting room-why don’t they have juice? :) ) that I tell them that I need to lie down. Once they know you might pass out, they will be more than willing to do what they can to prevent it. I find that lying down helps keep the blood from rushing out of my head when my body goes into “flight” mode.
    Hopefully you’ll be done with that for a while!

5. Betty March 23, 2017 at 10:44 am

Yikes. 22 years without a check up? You haven’t had a pap smear or a breast check in 22 years? Gotta be honest, that is eyebrow raising. That said, I am at the OTHER end of the spectrum and I tend to go to the doctor if I fart differently. LOL. I am sure there must be a happy medium, right? I think you should make it a point to go to your well care visits. You are at an age now where the body starts to manifest problems. Better to be proactive than reactive in my book. BTW, the doc can help you with your anemia. I hope you are feeling better today. Best wishes!

6. Lancene Blackmon March 23, 2017 at 11:03 am

I was always so/so about Dr. visits. Throughout my “reproductive” years I saw my gynecologist on a semi-regular basis, but I was pretty healthy and didn’t worry about it too much. Then BAM – menopause hit and suddenly things got more complicated. I suspect you may be beginning to experience some of this. For some, menopause isn’t a big deal, for others its a big slap upside the head. I started seeing an internist, had regular blood work, had a colonoscopy and got serious about yearly mammograms. I am eternally grateful that I did – at the age of 58 I was diagnosed with a virulent form of breast cancer. Without the mammogram I would be dead now. By catching it early I am now nearing the 5-year marker and am cancer-free. Kerri – DO NOT continue to ignore your health. Find a good doctor, one you can talk to, who pays attention to what you are saying. I also have a personal policy against long waits in DR.’s offices – if I’m not seen with 30-45 minutes I inform the desk that I have another appointment that I must keep and I leave. I then look for another doctor. From personal experience I can tell you that, as you age, good health care is no longer optional. I know you look forward to grandchildren, travel – all the good things that can come next for you and your husband. It’s always important to maintain a healthy lifestyle, but it just isn’t enough as we “go forward”. My very best to you – I hope whatever is going on is soon taken care of and that you’re soon feeling back to normal. But even when you feel better, be sure to see your doctor on a regular basis.

7. Maria J March 23, 2017 at 12:00 pm

DONT IGNORE YOUR HEALTH. Sorry for shouting but I know some of us need that extra nudge to take care of ourselves. Like you, I started having “issues.” At the time I thought it was to be expected “at my age.” Fortunately my friend insisted I see a doctor. It was a blessing as I was diagnosed with uterine CA. It was caught early but might just as easily been missed until it was too late. We’re so good at taking care of others. We need to be just as engaged in our own care. To borrow a phrase from Nike, Jusr Do It! ❤

8. Yvonne March 23, 2017 at 2:11 pm

Nope. I am terrible about going to the doctor! Haven’t been to the doc since 2008. And before that it was 1997. What can I say? :)
    Glad you are checking out your ailment. There does come a time that we just have to check it out. Hope you get excellent test results!

9. Katy Taylor March 23, 2017 at 2:51 pm

I’ve rescheduled an appt for 3 months now…I think I might actually keep it this time…might as well get it over with, right! As far as Survivor goes…I’ve only watched the ones my cousin was on…the lying and back-stabbing makes my blood boil so I don’t watch…because THEN I might have to go to the doctor for high blood pressure…lol

10. MICHELLE B March 23, 2017 at 5:42 pm

I’m slightly older than you, but my husband and I started getting annual checkups regularly for the last 7 years. The company I was with at the time encouraged it by giving incentives if you got your yearly checkup. I would rather be proactive and discover whatever it is early. Like the person above me said, don’t ignore your health!

11. Amy Ulen March 23, 2017 at 10:16 pm

I absolutely agree with what everyone is saying about taking care of ourselves, but I’m just like you. Other than my annual appointment–a must since I still take birth control–I avoid the doctor. After I had a malignant melanoma removed, I swore that I would go to the doctor more frequently. A couple years later, I was back to my old ways. This past summer, I was vomiting for days, but didn’t think anything of it until the vomit turned blue. My husband rushed me to the ER with a burst appendix. Had he not insisted, I would probably be dead. After the surgery, I did find a local doctor who will also do my yearly exam, so maybe I’ll be better about it now. But, I’m almost 50 and fairly set in my ways, so I doubt it. LOL!

12. Sue FitzGerald March 24, 2017 at 5:15 am

I hope you feel better soon, sleep is the best medicine on the planet. xx

13. PjP March 27, 2017 at 2:55 pm

I thought that I was the worst on the planet for not seeing a doctor but you take the biscuit, and not in a good way. Unlike me, you’re someone’s wife and mother, for crying out loud. You owe it to them to take care of yourself.

14. Joanne March 27, 2017 at 3:26 pm

I hope you feel better soon. Thankfully I am in good health, and an old hand at giving blood. I am due in the next couple of weeks to donate my 68th pint of blood, and of all those, only one donation has made me feel faint. But put me in front of a horror movie and THEN watch me quiver!!!!!