Time To Get Busy

I feel like I’ve been in bed or really just out of it for way too long. And when I say out of it, my brain is really out of it. The lack of iron–or oxygen moving in my body–must affect my brain as well. It takes a lot for me to focus and think straight.

Now the mess in my studio is completely out of control and all I have wanted to do was get it organized again. And today, I’m completely motivated to get this space under control!

Is it just me? Please tell me there are more of you out there that move piles from one location to another just so you can work in this spot or that spot. See that little space above? Yeah, that was  my current spot to do a couple things.

It’s pretty ridiculous to let it get this bad, but folks…this is reality sometimes.

Mess can get the best of us–especially when you’re not well or so completely busy that cleaning up the last mess isn’t a priority, which results in the mess continuing to pile up.

I’m coming back to that simplify word again. I believe the phrase, ‘A stitch in time, saves nine.’ applies to messes, does it not? If we’d just clean up the current mess, it wouldn’t turn into as big of a mess that takes way longer to clean up.

I am 50. You’d think I would have applied this to my life by now.
If I would just clean as I go, life would be much simpler.

What tips and tricks do you have for keeping organized and clean?

2017-05-09T10:59:32+00:00 April 18th, 2017|everyday|10 Comments

1. Shell April 18, 2017 at 1:54 pm

I so hear you on this one! This is probably going to sound crazy… I moved all my crafty stuff into a much smaller bedroom and voila… no room for messes because then there’s literally nowhere to craft. It’s FORCED me to be tidy and at almost 47 years old I never thought I’d be able to say that! LOL

2. vicki April 18, 2017 at 3:33 pm

My workspace looks the same way – and I’m 60! Here’s what I think happens. When I’m in design mode, I can’t think of anything except designing that piece of whatever medium I’m working in. My head is just in that creative space. I work until I either A. run out of time or
    B. am super tired, hungry or thirsty. Then I leave my studio and that out-of-sight-out-of-mind thing happens. It’s the plight of creative people — we just can’t help it! Feel better?

3. Betsy April 18, 2017 at 3:59 pm

Kerri, just hoping you are feeling better soon. The “mess” can wait! I’m feeling great yet I always tend to spread out and have little room to work on my table! Get well.

4. Whimsical Rose April 18, 2017 at 4:18 pm

I totally understand where you are. I am going through the same thing in my crafteoom. I am such a messy crafter. My hubby shakes his head at me because I am constantly moving things from one pile to another whereas he is a clean ad you go kinda guy. Gah! His workspace is always so neat and mine looks… well it isn’t neat. Best wishes to you. You are not alone!

5. sherly April 18, 2017 at 4:24 pm

OMGosh do I need help with organizing & cleaning up my crafty space. I have so tricks up my sleeves but I will say watching a
    episode Hoarder makes me want clean not just my craft room but my whole house. I do try to put like things together.
    I just went through all my paper stash which I had some new & some very old got a box full that I haven’t used and will be donated or
    given to friends to go through it felt so good.

Kerri, so glad your are feeling better.

6. Katrina April 18, 2017 at 11:33 pm

I can’t seem to grasp the clean as you go philosophy either. I try, but then i will get so excited to start a new project and I put off cleaning up from the last one. It keeps piling up until one day I can’t stand it anymore or there no where else to work on stuff. Then I spend a day cleaning it all up (or at least enough space to work on something) and then the mess will start again. ????

I’m glad you’re feeling better!

7. Cori April 19, 2017 at 6:46 am

Sweet Kerri….
    never forget. Cute typewriters count for a lot. And drawers? Great for piles. Baby steps. Take care of you, first.

8. denise April 19, 2017 at 8:48 am

Looks like my room, I work part time outside of the home, have limited time to craft so when I do I am usually doing 3 or 4 crafts at the same time, lots of items all over. Sometimes I have no place to craft as the desk is too messy so I take the item and carry it to the kitchen counter to work on .. I work like this for a few weeks then I clean it up … and start over again. I seem to be way more creative when it is messy and I know where everything is, if I put it all away and have to think where it is it interrupts my flow ..

9. Yvonne Garrett April 19, 2017 at 1:28 pm

Mine looks like that most of the time (the table in my camper!) but I take solace when I see Einstein’s desk on the day he died. Yeah…it was similar! :D
    I am working on Here, There, Everywhere class right now and I am having a problem that is probably really simple but I can’t figure it out.
    In the Replicate window, the X and Y Offsets are grayed out and won’t let me define the X offset for my stripes. The Rotate Each Copy by degrees is available but I don’t want that. I am using Designer Edition. Do you have any suggestions?

10. Yvonne Garrett April 19, 2017 at 1:33 pm