My Life Has Been A Closed Book

Alright. So, not a ‘closed book’ in the usual sense. But rather, it’s been a life of literally closed books. On a rare occasion I may have read a Mary Higgins Clark book or a Dan Brown book…even if it took me about a year to finally read the last one I had. But pretty much, I just haven’t had the time–or taken the time–to read.

All that changed this year with my One Little Word, illuminate.

I decided that I needed to take that time to expand my horizons in the printed word–something  longer than a paragraph and leaning towards a few hundred pages.

I needed to start reading books.

And by golly, I’ve done a pretty darn good job of it. I feel quite amazed when I look at my Kindle app on my phone and see the book cover photos. I don’t know that I’ve read this many books since maybe I was in school.

Yay me!

What’s helped me tremendously is the modern-day reading that we have–Kindle app on my iPhone in conjunction with the Overdrive app that allows you to check out books online at the library to read on your Kindle app. What a beautiful world we live in!

I know that many people prefer the touch and feel of an actual book, but I tell ya, this reading on my phone has opened a whole new world! It’s always with me so I can pretty much read anywhere. It’s awesome! And I love that I don’t have to spend money on books, nor do I have to go anywhere to actually get a book that may or may not be in. If it’s not immediately available for checkout, I’m put on a waitlist and when it’s there, it’s automatically checked out to me. Brilliant.

So with my renewed love of reading, I thought I might share some of my novice-reader thoughts on a couple of the more recent books I’ve read. And by ‘novice’, I mean, I’m not a profound reader. I like reading books for entertainment. I don’t like it when the voice is ‘too smart’ for me. I started reading a book like that and it was just too much. Kass likened it to when Joey got the toilet paper with the word of the day. It was like the book threw up a thesaurus. Not my cup of tea.

Additionally, I love mysteries, but I don’t like it when books ramble on with nonsense or describing things in waaay too much detail.

So with that little bit of background on my reading style, here’s a couple books I read in the past week. Neither of which happen to be a mystery, oddly enough. ;)

Love & Gelato

I really enjoyed this book. It was just a fun read. It may be in the ‘young adult’ category because the two main characters are older teenagers, but I loved the story and wit for all in the book. It’s set in Florence (or near it) and having been there before, it was fun to visualize where they were. It’s about a young girl who is sent to get to know her father living in Italy after her mother dies.

It truly is a delightful read if you’re looking for something light and fun. Sweet story.

What Alice Forgot

I was really excited to read this book because I liked the overall concept of this book. I did like it…when I was actually reading about the main story. But remember what I said about rambling on and blathering? Yeah. This book did that a lot. I’m sure it was to share a story in a different way, but much was not pertinent to the main story and to me it just feels like unnecessary filler.

The book is about a woman who hits her head and loses the last ten years of her life–from a mother of three getting a divorce to reverting back to newly married and pregnant with their first child. The story itself is what intrigued me to read it. But to be honest, I thought I’d see what happened if I skipped from 20% read to 50% read (on my Kindle app) and  I really don’t feel like I missed anything. I also skimmed through a lot of the sister’s journal entries. The writing of it all just wasn’t my cup of tea. It got great reviews, and I liked the story in general. But I wanted to hear more of her story as she went along and there was too much back story and blathering that wasn’t pertinent–at least to me, it wasn’t. I just begin to lose patience with it when it rambles.

I loved reading about how she dealt with being the person she thought she was as her younger self and how she’d changed from that person to become the person she was today–which was not how she thought she would be. And then how she had to deal with the people that knew her as she was currently just before the accident.

Great story in general, just too much blathering for me. :)

_________

I’m always on the lookout for other great books to read, so if you have a favorite you’ve read, please share!

2017-10-18T08:41:29+00:00 October 18th, 2017|books|12 Comments

1. Deneen October 18, 2017 at 9:00 am

I also like Mysteries and books that capture my attention. One of my favorite authors is Terri Blackstock, she writes Christian mysteries. The first book I read of hers was Cape Refuge and I was hooked. I love to read and do love real books but I find myself reading more and more on my i-pad. I have the kindle app so now I will be looking for the Overdrive app (thanks for the recommendation). Also I use Book Bub which is a daily list send to me with books of interests I choose and some of them are free (which is the ones I download LOL).

• Kerri Bradford October 19, 2017 at 7:43 pm

I will have to check her out. Thanks! :)

2. Tracy Grandas October 19, 2017 at 4:49 pm

If you like mysteries check out A Deep Thing by A.K.Smith on Amazon. Anita, the author, is actually my best friend from way back in the 5th grade! This is her first novel and let me tell you it’s amazing. She did such an awesome job! It came out last December and she was back this way ( PA from AZ) for Christmas so we threw a book signing party for her…fun times! You will not be disappointed with this one…it grabs you from the beginning and the adventure, twists and turns continue till the end! I honestly think it should be made into a movie…the scenes would be beautiful!
    I just got the Overdrive app this summer too, it is great!

• Kerri Bradford October 19, 2017 at 7:43 pm

Oooh! Sounds amazing! And how fun that she’s a friend! Thanks!

3. Nashonne Newman October 20, 2017 at 10:20 am

I love mysteries too! Mary Higgins Clark is one of my favorite authors (I have ALL of her books). Other great books I’ve read recently: The Dry by Jane Harper; Behind Her Eyes by Sarah Pinborough; and Behind Closed Doors by B.A. Paris. Check them out! I also use the Overdrive app on my IPad to borrow electronic books from the library. I buy books every now and then for a “real book” feel, but have embraced reading electronic copies.

• Kerri Bradford October 24, 2017 at 10:16 am

MHC has been a staple my entire life…clear from when I was in junior high. Where ARE The Children? :)

I’ll have to check out those other books too. Thanks for sharing them. And isn’t reading electronically grand? I don’t think I could support a book habit if I had to buy them all. :)

4. Virginia October 21, 2017 at 9:17 pm

I just read Love and Gelato and really liked it too. Similar feel were Tell me Three Things and What to Say Next by Julie Buxbaum – cute light reads.

• Kerri Bradford October 24, 2017 at 10:13 am

Oh, those sound fun. Thanks!

5. Tracy Grandas October 27, 2017 at 6:48 pm

Hey Kerri, I just wanted you to know that my friend Anita’s kindle book “A Deep Thing” is on amazon right now for only $2.80!!!! Great price!

• Kerri Bradford October 28, 2017 at 6:36 am

I bought it! I can handle 2.80. :) Thanks for letting me know.

6. Tracy Grandas October 28, 2017 at 9:27 am

YAY!! You’re welcome!! I think you’ll really like it! Anita was awarded a Gold Medal from the 2017 Readers Favorite Book Awards. The Awards Ceremony will be held in Miami, Florida in November…she’s super excited!! You can’t beat $2.80 that’s for sure!!

7. Katrina Hansen October 28, 2017 at 11:09 am

I love Sarah M. Eden and Melanie Jacobson books when I want something light and fun, although Sarah has some that are mysteries. A lot of her books are set in regency England, and I have to admit I was skeptical when my friend gave me one for my birthday. I hadn’t really cared to read books set in that time period, but now I’m hooked. She had a lot of witty dialogue that I love. The first one I read of Melanie’s (The List) made me want to pack up and move to Huntington Beach and take up surfing and meet all the people in the book! I’ve loved all her other books as well.

For mysteries, I love Traci Hunter Abramson and Betsy Brannon Green. I started reading Traci’s lastest book on the train heading to work yesterday, and I seriously had to fight myself to put the book away and do my work. I really wanted to sit and read all day!